1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Confused about Boost clock on 980ti

Discussion in 'Videocards - NVIDIA GeForce' started by moheban79, Jan 19, 2019.

1. moheban79

moheban79 Master Guru

GPU:
    XFX 6970 - 2GB Trifire
    Hi,

Just starting out water cooling my old 980 ti KPE gpus and confused about how to go about it. For one GPU-z says my boost speeds are 1311 mhz per card but when I run 3dmark stress tester with Afterburner monitors temps each card clocks to 1430 mhz at like 1.211 volts. Is this being done on the driver level because I have not set those clocks and volts anywhere?

Whats my next step?

Thanks

2. Passus

Passus Maha Guru

GPU:
    GTX 1060 3GB
    Clocks are dynamic these days and really tend to do what they can to the fullest without oc'ing

for instance my 1060 stock is 1557mhz stock boost is 1772mhz but it auto clocks itself to over 1900mhz

with an oc though i can go higher than that upto 2038-50mhz depending on the load

3. moheban79

moheban79 Master Guru

GPU:
    XFX 6970 - 2GB Trifire
    So basically gpu overclocking is offset overclocking and its dynamic at that? Unlike a cpu where you set its max frequency and expect it to stay there? How do you find its gpu vcore then because I find that confusing. Both HWInfo64 and Afterburner will say something like .875 mv and then it goes up to 1.025 idling and then even higher under load.

Anyhow I got these old boys under water and my temps are insanely low. Like max 39 degrees on hottest gpu while 3d mark stress testing. Should have overclocking headroom but read maxwell sucks at overclocking.

Thanks

4. Passus

Passus Maha Guru

GPU:
    GTX 1060 3GB
    Power is also dynamic and so are newer cpus dynamic in both speed and voltages

5. AsiJu

AsiJu Ancient Guru

GPU:
    MSI RTX 2070 Armor
    Yep that's normal and how GPU Boost works as stated above.

GPU-Z reports the nominal boost value but cards will automatically go past this when possible and may target a higher value from the get go.

Example: I had an EVGA 980 Ti SC+ that boosted to 1340 max. by default.
    GPU-Z reported max boost of 1190 regardless which is the nominal value for 980 Ti reference.

You can use Maxwell BIOS editor to dump your BIOS file and check the actual boost targets per power state and power limits / voltages etc.
    Ofc. you can also try to adjust them if you wish and flash the modified BIOS back.

Though I've heard recent drivers detect if you use a modded BIOS and refuse to install if so but not sure about that.

6. Undying

Undying Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Aorus RX580 XTR 8GB
    That is just dumb if true.

7. AsiJu

AsiJu Ancient Guru

GPU:
    MSI RTX 2070 Armor
    Agreed and as said could be just a rumour, but who knows...

8. Astyanax

Astyanax Master Guru

GPU:
    GTX 1080ti
    Its true, and its not 'modded' but improperly modded bios's that are Code 43'ing.

This has been a thing since 2017 so not exactly old news.