Config resets itself

Discussion in 'Folding@Home - Join Team Guru3D !' started by morbias, Aug 18, 2008.

1. morbias

morbias Don TazeMeBro Staff Member

GPU:
    -
    This is starting to annoy me a little, the configs for my clients reset themselves randomly. They'll remember the machine id, but will delete my team name and team number sometimes.

I'm starting to dislike Vista already, I've only had it installed a few days and top of this I'm having problems with 'the display driver stopped responding', which means I lose the WU running on the gpu client(s). Ugh, never had these problems in XP, any ideas?

UAC is disabled btw., it was driving me absolutely mental.

2. AnthraxPants

AnthraxPants Banned

GPU:
    XFX 4890HD 1GB
    I seem to remember seeing something about certain Folding@Home clients on Vista x64 having a problem in the forums, so I think someone should know the solution, I just can't remember the thread at the moment.

Vista is definetly a lot more temperamental than XP and seems more sensitive to overclocking. I doubt your problem has anything to do with OC though, it's just that I noticed that I had to set voltages on auto in the BIOS or Vista acted a little strangely with manual voltage settings while XP ran fine (that could of just have been a BIOS quirk though). Have you tried reinstalling the application? If UAC was still running when you installed the app, maybe that could have something to do with clients losing their configs. I've fixed a few problems on Vista by reinstalling apps after I disabled UAC. I've also noticed more conflicts between different programs on Vista. I had to update a lot of things including codecs and drivers, but I also had to run earlier versions of some software to get everything working properly.

I'm not sure if it works, but I have noticed some users commented that disabling Nvidia Display Driver Service may have stopped their 'the display driver stopped responding' error. You may have to disable 'Nview' and Nvidia 'Right-Click Desktop Menu' before you stop the Nvidia Display Driver Service. I don't know if you really must disable them first, but I did it anyway as I don't use them and figured it may prevent some problems. When I say I disabled Nview and the Right-Click Desktop Menu, I mean I removed the run entries in HKLM for 'Nview' and 'NvMediaCenter' in the registry, and deselected 'Right-Click Desktop Menu' in Nvidia Control Panel>View.

I still mainly use XP Pro for Windows stuff and boot to to Vista Ultimate x86 sp1 just to play the odd game in a bit of dx10. The only other thing I use Vista for is syncing my wife's MP3 player with WMP as it seems to work better on Vista. I probably wouldn't have Vista installed if so many of my customers didn't use it, I'm trying to appreciate it though. :)

3. aircool

aircool Don Aircooleone Staff Member

GPU:
    Zotac GTX 560 Ti 448 Core
    Which drivers are you using? for the gpu clients you will need CUDA enabled ones on vista.

And which client is reseting itself? (be specific)

Vista more tempremental that XP, I sincerly doubt that ;)

4. morbias

GPU:
    -
    Thanks for the suggestions AnthraxPants, I've reinstalled the clients a few times now but only with UAC on, I'll try again with it turned off.

And I'll try the tips for the display driver problem too. I've read the best fix for it is to run on one stick of ram, wth?! I'd hardly call that a fix, I thought they would have fixed a problem like that by now! It even does it when I click on a menu bar sometimes.

Aircool, all the clients have been resetting themselves, but the smp client seems to do it the most often. I'm running 177.83 so the drivers should be ok with fah.

5. aircool

GPU:
    Hm ok the drivers should be ok, assuming CUDA is in them somwhere :p

Also where are you running the clients from? Because with vista there are some issues running SMP outside of C:/ which is why I'd always recomend them running from (example) C:/FAH/.

6. morbias

GPU:
    -
    I've got it installed in program files (x86), I'll try moving it as it's just reset itself again :confused:

7. BlackZero

BlackZero Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RX Vega
    Morbias,

Unfortunately I had the same problems when I switched to vista and still had my 8800gtx sli setup, constant nv display driver crashes etc, switching to older drivers (174.74) and dropping the oc did help somewhat but never really fixed it, since switching to the gtx 280 I have had only one such error when I overclocked the card past it's limits. Never had any issues in xp either.

My guess would be bad driver support in vista so while you still have the 8800 gtx sli setup maybe dual booting is the best way around these issues. Though I do realise how that in itself is an issue with tri-sli.

Last edited: Aug 18, 2008
  8. AnthraxPants

AnthraxPants Banned

GPU:
    XFX 4890HD 1GB
    At Nvidia website under CUDA they usually have a display driver that includes CUDA. Last time I was there it was 175.35 package or something like that, but it could of been upgraded since then.

It's actually 177.35 now, but you can probably just use 177.83 and install the latest CUDA.

http://www.nvidia.com/object/cuda_get.html

Last edited: Aug 19, 2008
  9. aircool

GPU:
    The best driver so far for GPU's and CUDA is the 177.41's for the GTX280 just mod the inf and it works beatifully.

10. morbias

GPU:
    -
    Thanks for the info protocol_48, though I've disabled the nv service and all seems to be good now (fingers crossed!). Hopefully that will sort it.

Isn't cuda incorporated into all new drivers now so you don't have to download the separate package? I'm guessing it is or fah wouldn't be running at all.

I'm definitely going to try reinstalling the smp without UAC on, I just haven't had a chance yet. It seems the config is now remembering my username and team number, but fahmon shows '0' and when the client sends results it doesn't rank them to guru3d, even though it shows the teamnumber when the client is started.