Confederate Flag Controversy, Your Thoughts?

Discussion in 'The Guru's Pub' started by airbud7, Jun 25, 2015.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. airbud7

airbud7 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    pny gtx 1060 xlr8
    A dozen businesses have banned the sales of the flag or symbol now ... Walmart, Sears, Target, Amazon because some scumbag kid blows people away in a church because the Rebel flag made him do it:bang:

Do you think its a symbol of racism?

2. scatman839

scatman839 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    1080, KD55XD800
    Technically yes, but 150 years after the fact, why bother now?

I think the pinnacle is apple removing all games featuring it from the app store.

Not allowed historical games now

Last edited: Jun 25, 2015
  3. Loophole35

Loophole35 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    EVGA 1080ti SC
    It is a symbol of the south seceding from the union over may things. Like not wanting to answer to a centralized government that does not have their interests in mind. Was one of the reasons slavery? Yes. Does slavery embody racism? NO. There were black slave owners and white (Irish) slaves. The idea that the rebel flag symbolizes whites hating blacks is just stupid. This is what happens when government educates the masses.

BTW airbud I may have a 670 for you soon.

4. Extraordinary

Extraordinary Ancient Guru

GPU:
    ROG Strix 1080 OC
    Ah man, I heard that the England flag was banned from being hung in the UK because foreigners living here saw it as racist

Load of BS

I hung it anyway for footy, our country, suck it up

Turned out it was just BS and there was no law/ban/rule

Just fools trying to cause trouble starting rumours

5. PhazeDelta1

PhazeDelta1 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    EVGA 1080 FTW
    I think some people just want to complain about everything. But the tinfoil hatters are eating this up though. I believe I have lost brain cells hearing some of the mess coming out of their mouths.

6. Omagana

Omagana Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RTX 2070 Super
  7. Arctucas

Arctucas Ancient Guru

GPU:
    eVGA RTX2080 FTW3
    The flag did nothing.

An insane person did.

Let the progressive left ban a flag and soon they will ban your right to free speech. They basically want to ban the entire Bill of Rights, especially the second amendment.

This is what Totalitarianism is, people. It starts with any excuse, and before you know it, the jack-booted storm troopers are kicking in your door in the middle of the night, and hauling you away to a re-education camp.

8. rflair

rflair Don Commisso Staff Member

GPU:
    5700XT
    The flag was a key symbol of a group that were pro slavery, so ya it carries that stigma, the swastika is another symbol that carries a similar view and I've seen certain groups fly both symbols together.

9. Clouseau

Clouseau Ancient Guru

GPU:
    ZOTAC AMP RTX 3070
    The flag was a symbol of the Southern Government. Slavery was a way of life back then. Does not make it right but that was life back then. Lincoln / The North was losing the war and needed a way to make gains in enlistment and support from the people. That is why slavery was brought into the war. The war was not about slavery but about keeping the states as one. Secession was not looked at as being a legal choice but as an act of rebellion. That is what the war was about. Slavery was just a side issue to get the northern population to back the war and reinvigorate the war machine at the time. It was a tactic to battle the waning interest in the war.

10. Chillin

Chillin Ancient Guru

GPU:
    -
    Sure, and let's ban all flags with religious symbols on them since they symbolize slavery, genocide, pedophilia, misogyny, mass oppression, etc., etc. etc.

11. Twiddles

Twiddles Maha Guru

GPU:
    MSI 2080 2190-7550
    I don't even... And they bring this up now?! 1861 people, till 1865. They've had 150 years to compain about a ****ing flag and now they want it gone because some kid did a publicity stunt?! What am I missing?

Are people so gullible that they believe that the flag made him do it? That the flag is a symbol of racial hate? Some days I even wonder why I'm still suprised by human stupidity.

Last edited: Jun 26, 2015
  12. k-1

k-1 Active Member

GPU:
    EVGA GTX 980 TI SC
    9 people getting shot in a church is a publicity stunt? And then white people are confused when they are called racist.

13. Twiddles

Twiddles Maha Guru

GPU:
    MSI 2080 2190-7550
    I meant publicity stunt as in: The shooter probably knew that this would incite even more racism. And don't generalize, we all discriminate and have our prejudices. I'm not trying to be racist, but I do have a bias towards some "groups" because of what I experienced in real life.

14. k-1

k-1 Active Member

GPU:
    EVGA GTX 980 TI SC
    Sir, I don`t know you so I can`t judge if you are racist or not. And it is not me who is making generalizations here. For it is you who say "but I do have a bias towards some "groups" because of what I experienced in real life", so because you was maybe wronged by a specific person in a group, it means the whole group is at fault.

15. Twiddles

Twiddles Maha Guru

GPU:
    MSI 2080 2190-7550
    No offence taken :) And no, not a specific person. Multiple times by the same sort of people and it's not only me, actually it's around 40% of the Dutch people according to a recent report. So actually it's a pretty darn well founded bias.

16. scipio

scipio Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Evga 1080 gaming
    To me it's all about dominion, let's put the ashes out once and for all.

17. Yecnot

Yecnot Master Guru

GPU:
    R9 270 2GB
    Slavery not embodying racism... tell me more :whip:

Lets be clear here, attempting to assert that the confederation was not racist is self-inflicted retardation. That means that they weren't fighting to continue the tradition of enslaving hundreds of millions of people for labor and rape, all on the basis of how dark their skin was. But what does a kid know...

18. nhlkoho

nhlkoho Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RTX 2080ti FE
    Yes slavery was a way of life in the past. The flag represents nothing in the present day. Just like the nazi flag, it is a part of history and I don't think it should be banned/forgotten, but it certainly shouldn't be flown at the state capitol.

19. ESlik

ESlik Ancient Guru

GPU:
    EVGA x2 1080 Ti SC Black
    Freedom of expression.

20. Yecnot

Yecnot Master Guru

GPU:
    R9 270 2GB
    Why do a lot of people online think freedom of speech means someone just has to take their bigoted ****...

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.