1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Conan Exiles

Discussion in 'Games, Gaming & Game-demos' started by signex, Jan 9, 2017.

1. nhlkoho

nhlkoho Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RTX 2080ti FE
    I considered buying it but after watching quite a few streams it seems pretty broken right now. Not only that but it seems that since they put so much time into the genital physics, people rarely are wearing clothes and just run around and kill you and then teabag your dead body.

cerebus23 likes this.
  2. sverek

sverek Ancient Guru

GPU:
    NOVIDIA -0.5GB
    That's a human nature for you.

So far the most enjoyable experience with this game is having private server and just building creative base. I don't see how this game gonna be any viable PvP in near future. You go offline, come back, your home is raided, start from a scratch.

3. RamsesII

RamsesII Active Member

GPU:
    Asus ROG STRIX GTX1080
    Hello all,

What nvidia drivers are you guys using?

I'm on 376.06 (I believe), but the installer recommends the latest 378.49, which I don't want to install if I don't have to, because I don't want to break nvidia gamestream to Shield TV and Battlefield 1 (that work perfectly fine on my current drivers)

Thanks

4. JonasBeckman

JonasBeckman Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Sapphire Vega Pulse
    If the current driver works well as-is there's no real need to update, SLI or Crossfire (for AMD) would be one thing but unless the game is completely broken or glitchy there's generally not any major performance gains found in newer drivers. :)

There are exceptions of course, I can't speak for Nvidia but to use AMD as a example they made a pretty major improvement for Fallout 4's performance in a driver released shortly after the game came out but chances are that's the above "broken" which was rectified and the GPU no longer under-performs.
    (First Vulkan ready driver for DOOM when that was added in also showed some nice gains, fine tuning in later drivers has also made smaller improvements so that's nice to see.)

I suppose the easiest would be to just try the game for a while and measure overall performance while also trying to keep performance drops or stuttering in mind and then just install the new driver and compare, if there's no major differences and if the driver is causing problems with other software then uninstalling it and going back to the previous one isn't that much work. :)
    (Though it's still a bit of a pain having to switch back and forth between drivers until AMD/Nvidia fixes whatever they broke of course.)

5. RamsesII

RamsesII Active Member

GPU:
    Asus ROG STRIX GTX1080
    Thanks for the insight, and yes, the current drivers are perfectly fine for all my games (inc. gamestream) except Conan Exiles - have a black screen on startup; it only displays the UE4 splash but forever hangs on the loading screen.

So I guess I'll haver to wait for a better driver that is not total crap as the latest nvidia branch

6. signex

signex Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Radeon RX 5700
    Even though i started this topic a while back, i bought the game right before the new big update last week. They made the map bigger, and so far i'm very happy with my purchase!

This game exceeded my expectations, it's so much better then Dark and Light, Citadel Forged with Fire and ARK.

It runs like a dream performance wise as well, 50-60fps on all ultra, and it looks stunning as well!
    This engine isn't all that terrible after all, ARK and Dark and Light should have run like this.

Not to mention the awesome thrall system this game has, and the amount of things you can build.
    I'm having a blast so far!

7. Zenoth

Zenoth Maha Guru

GPU:
    MSI GTX 1080
    I suppose this is a semi necro.

But the game was officially released (out of Early Access) on the 8th.

So I'm playing it, so far it's good. However, what I'm particularly interesting in is to hear about people's performance in this game. What are the in-game settings you're running at? What resolution? And what is your system? Also, which drivers you're using? (Side note concerning drivers, the latest GeForce drivers are optimized for Conan Exiles too).

In my case, running the game at a combination of Ultra + High settings @ 1080p, with V-Sync. My system is a Ryzen 1600 @ 3.5, GTX 970, 16GB 2666Mhz Ram. I lowered the Textures from Ultra to High, lowered Foliage from Ultra to High, and Shadows from Ultra to High (the rest is on Ultra). I simply disabled the in-game Anti-Aliasing since it creates a very weird and annoying "trail" effect during character and camera movement. Instead, I installed ReShade and applied some AA from it and it works wonders (there's of course a bit of a FPS drop but the "trailing" effect is gone, and the image is crisp, since it's not actual FXAA it doesn't blur the whole screen). With these settings my average outdoor FPS is around 40 to 45 (fluctuates depending on environment details of course). I easily get within the 50 to 60 FPS mark when indoors, it's very smooth. I did try to just pop everything on Ultra (except the in-game AA as mentioned) and the outdoor FPS often drops down to the low 30s, occasionally grazing within the high 20s, but generally-speaking it becomes too slow and does show that a better GPU is definitely needed for maximum settings.

Anyway, as far as the game itself goes I have some genuine fun with it, I especially like the music and the building portion of the game so far. The combat (from the little I experienced) is actually pretty solid for the most part. The enemy A.I., however, is... let's just say not very good. I've seen NPCs sitting by campfires taking my arrows as I shoot at them while doing nothing at all and just sitting until death ensues; kind of embarrassing on a fully released game but I'll give them a pass on that stuff for now. But, gist is that overall it's a pretty solid game, I'm giving it a 7/10 so far.

The one thing I'll "complain" about is that, so far anyway, the outdoor environments are pretty dull in terms of life (or lack thereof). Not much is happening basically. There's some camps, but no NPCs venture out of them much, you don't have 'random encounters' in the wild like you would in games like Skyrim, Witcher, Breath of the Wild and other similar ones. In Conan Exiles (again, so far, from what I've seen) it's very static. There's some wildlife, some of which are hostile on sight (crocodiles for example), others kinda of neutral (won't attack on sight but will attack if you approach their young or their nests / eggs), but there's very little interaction between humanoid NPCs, the environment, the world in general (haven't seen anyone roaming around). It's... a bit underwhelming.

But yeah anyway, despite that, I do enjoy it enough. There's also a pretty decent modding community for this game apparently; there's good potential there since the dev kit is supposedly extensive and thorough. Maybe over enough time (1 or 2 years) we'll have a mini Skyrim there to enjoy.

Last edited: May 11, 2018
  8. chispy

chispy Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RTX 2080Ti - RX 580
    signex likes this.