Computex 2015: AMD Launches Carrizo Mobile APUs

Discussion in 'Frontpage news' started by Hilbert Hagedoorn, Jun 3, 2015.

1. Hilbert Hagedoorn

Hilbert Hagedoorn Don Vito Corleone Staff Member

GPU:
    AMD | NVIDIA
  2. thatguy91

thatguy91 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    XFX RX 480 RS 4 GB
    Very much an overshadowed release.

I believe these would be worthwhile for the intended market. It would be interesting to see the benchmarks of these versus the top end Skylake's, however such a comparison would only be beneficial out of interest. On a cost per performance scenario, I still see these as the clear winner especially when you include the platform components such as the motherboard and RAM (Skylake's DDR4 is still pretty expensive for any decent modules).

3. shymi

shymi Member Guru

GPU:
    EVGA RTX 3070
    I spy with my little eye, something with the new GCN architecture in it :D I'm also curious to see how the new APUs perform.

4. Fox2232

Fox2232 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    6900XT+AW@240Hz
    AMD already has it in their YT channel. FX-8800p configured to 15W is quite better than intel i5-5200u and similar 15W/14nm chips from intel.

It is decision between playable/not playable for both games and video playback.
    And then you have possibility to get additional boost on 35W setting.

I more wonder about them fitting 512SP with 4 CPU cores (or 2 modules if you want) into 15W TDP and performing well. Even at 35W and even if GPU took 25W from that, it is quite nice power consumption per 512SP. (would be 100W with 2048SP)

Last edited: Jun 3, 2015

5. vbetts

vbetts Don Vincenzo Staff Member

GPU:
    GTX 1080 Ti
    Well, I've been eyeing a laptop for some gaming here and one of these just may be what I'm looking for.

6. Dch48

Dch48 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Sapphire Nitro+ RX 470 4g
    It looks like they absolutely kill the Intel competition for gaming. Of course that would be in a laptop without a dedicated GPU where AMD always has been better.

7. Fox2232

Fox2232 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    6900XT+AW@240Hz
    It will still win in performance per watt in entire 12~35W scale.
    Yes, intel has those 47W chips and can be paired with 50~100W dGPU, they destroy any APU (even desktop) in CPU performance, but they cost in notebook almost as much as entire APU notebook.

I think AMD can get nice bite out of intel's sales this year. Good enough to make mobile APUs profitable.

8. Elder III

Elder III Ancient Guru

GPU:
    6900 XT Nitro+ 16GB
    These sound pretty nice for the casual gamer, improved battery life sounds nice too.

9. icedman

icedman Maha Guru

GPU:
    MSI Duke GTX 1080
    Its been a while since i checked but if dual graphics drivers have improved on these apus they could be kick a$$ even against any intel/dedicated graphics and AMD's solution would surely be cheaper.

10. thatguy91

thatguy91 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    XFX RX 480 RS 4 GB
    DirectX 12 could bring something interesting to this. There's the capability for the workload to offloaded to any DirectX 12 device, based on the nature of the workload. It means you could offload workload onto an AMD APU from an Nvidia video card. If you have different tier levels of DirectX 12 in your system it doesn't matter, supposedly the stuff will be divvied up accordingly.

There was a suggestion a while ago that AMD were working on this also, I'm not sure what was meant by that. It could mean that even if developers don't enable it in the game etc that using an AMD APU and AMD graphics card can still do the job, or whether it is still reliant on the developer divvying, but extends its benefits when using an AMD APU and an AMD discrete GPU.

In any case, I hope people consider these as good budget options, instead of going for the lowest end i3's and Pentium's

11. BLEH!

BLEH! Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Sapphire Fury
    Be nice to get one of these in Socket AM1... :p

12. Fox2232

Fox2232 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    6900XT+AW@240Hz
    Not needed, they will sell mobos with carrizo bga-ed on them same as intel does with some.

13. heffeque

heffeque Ancient Guru

GPU:
    nVidia MX150
    That should read GCN 1.2 based cores (3rd gen).

14. Aoyagi

Aoyagi Active Member

GPU:
    Sapphire Vapor-X R9 290
    But when is it coming to shops? Are the OEMs even going to offer it, or are they still under the "preference agreement"?