Computer Wont Start

Discussion in 'General Hardware' started by Zephren, Feb 27, 2007.

1. Zephren

Zephren Active Member

GPU:
    EVGA GeForce 7600 GT
    I have had the computer on the left for about 8 months. I got home today after school, pressed the power button, and nothing happened. I flipped the switch on the power supply to turn off the power supply, waited for the motherboard lights to go off, and then turned it back on. It began powering up for about 4 second (my count). During the 4 seconds the fans, dvd drive,and hard drive spin up. After the 4 seconds everything stops, but the motherboard lights remain on. Pressing the power and or reset button has no effect.

I also tried unplugging the power and reset button connections from the case to the motherboard, in case one of the switches was stuck. That had no effect.

Might anyone have any suggestions or ideas of things I could try, or what might be the problem/need to be replaced?

2. Solinari

Solinari Guest

GPU:
    MSI N560GTX-Ti Twin Frozr
    Sounds like something is borked. I can't say what it might be, could be the motherboard, it could be the PSU, or it could even be the CPU.

Are you sure you haven't changed anything at all before this happened? This could include changing hardware settings, adding/removing hardware or adding/removing software. I would also check that no one else that could have had access to the computer has done anything to it.

Other than that, the only thing you can do really, is try out the different parts till you find out what it is, like trying the PSU on another system, or trying another PSU on your system.

3. Zephren

Zephren Active Member

GPU:
    EVGA GeForce 7600 GT
    Alright...I determined that it was the motherboard and am RMAing it. I'll give it one more go before I buy a new one.

So untill I get the motherboard back I'll be using my old computer, which I have discovered also has a problem, but more proplexing...I think.