Computer won't start anymore

Discussion in 'General Hardware' started by DigitSo, Feb 8, 2009.

1. DigitSo

DigitSo Member

GPU:
    Sapphire HD 4670 512Mb
    Hello ! Ok, this is going to take some time to read so..enjoy !:p

Let's start from the start. A few months ago, I build myself a new computer. It went well and I've been running it fine. Here's the Spec.

AMD Athlon 64 X2 5200+ @ Stock Speed 2.7 GhZ ( + Stock Cooler )
    Gigabyte MA78G-DS3H Rev 1.0
    2x 1Gb of Corsair Memory DDR2 800 MhZ ( 5-5-5-18 )
    Sapphire HD 4670 512MB
    My old computer's Power Supply Enermax 350W
    Maxtor 250 GB IDE
    --- XP SP3 X86
    Random LG DVD-Drive ( :p )
    All together in an Antec Twelve Hundred Case

Ok so it has been running nice 'till I decide that I wanted to put new parts last week ( or 2 weeks ago ).

New stuff :

Corsair TX750 PSU
    2x 1Gb of Corsair Memory DDR2 800MhZ ( 4-4-4-12 )
    2x 250GB Western Digital SATA - Running in RAID 0
    --- Vista X64 ( Yeah....I know.....)

So everything was running fine except Vista ( duh ! ) which I had some problem with my refresh rate, and my computer was randomly restarting while closing a video, flash and/or java things..Hard to explain but anyway..And yesterday, instead of restarting, my computer shut down. And now it doesn't start at all. On some rare case, I can see that everything wants to start but shut down immedietly..

At first I thought I would have been my new PSU but even with my 350W, the computer doesn't start. Ohh and both power supplies works with my older comp so..

I've double checked every cable and everything is wired fine. I've also checked the swith on the PSU...just in case.. :p

I've also tried each memory stick individualy in each of my 4 DIMMs but no luck.

The HDD's & DVD shouldn't be the problem since a computer can start without them.

Since I have an integrated graphic device in my Motherboard, I've took out my 4670 and tried with the integrated HD 3200 ( I think..) but still doesn't start.

I think I've reseted the Bios but I'm not sure since there is no jumpers. I've read that I needed a flat screwdriver to reset it but I don't know if it worked since the computer just doesn't plain start..

And now it comes to the CPU & MoBo...Could my Motherboard be dead ? I can't know it for sure since I don't have any other AM2+ Pross and/or Am2+ MoBo to test with...

I just don't know what to do next so...Any ideas, suggestions & help would be greatly appreciated

Thanks for reading my long post :)
    ( ANd Sorry If it's the wrong place to post. Was wandering between "General Hardware" & "Processors and motherboards AMD" )

2. Iarwain

Iarwain Banned

GPU:
    4890 990//1120
    So let's clarify some things. What do you mean by "not start" you mean, nothing happens at all? Or do the fans and everything spin, and you just don't get anywhere from there?

Also, there's nothing wrong with vista.

Things to try...I vote you disconnect the DVDs and HDDs and give it another try. I agree with you, they shouldn't stop it from turning on, but when you're out of ideas, it's time to start trying things you think it's not.

The only other thing I can say is that it sounds like the motherboard died.

You confirmed PSUs still work, confirmed memory works (unless all of them are bad, unlikely), I've personally never seen a CPU go bad, even an OCed one, so that's also unlikely...

You know I keep coming back to the motherboard. You need to find a cheap, temporary, replacement I think. Buy one, then return it, if you must.

3. DigitSo

DigitSo Member

GPU:
    Sapphire HD 4670 512Mb
    Yes, I mean that nothing happens when I press the power button.

As for your suggestion about turning my computer on without the HDDs well...already did that.

I've tried to turn it on with only the following :

Motherboard
    CPU
    CPU FAN
    Onboard Video Card
    1 Memory Stick
    PSU

I didn't even plug my case fans but again, nothing happens.

As for buying a new motherboard, can't do. Too poor... but maybe it's a sign ! That I should get a life !....and a job :p

4. Nihilkrist

Nihilkrist Master Guru

GPU:
    2 x Inno3D GTX260
    Does the mobo have a self power on switch? One that isn't connected to the case? I've plugged that in wrong once before ><

Also, you didnt have any screws on the mobo back plate in the wrong place or anything? Can short/fry a mobo rather sharpish.

5. DigitSo

DigitSo Member

GPU:
    Sapphire HD 4670 512Mb
    No, I don't think there's a power switch on my motherboard

Here's a pic btw ( Took it on the Internet ) http://www.ixbt.com/mainboard/gigabyte/ma78g-ds3h/board.jpg

I can't see any screws that could've fried my MoBo either and anyway, there's no sign of burnt or something like that on it ( Both Back and Front ).

6. Lain

Lain Master Guru

GPU:
    HD5970 @ 950/1200MHz
    I'm afraid you're in for a new motherboard.

7. DigitSo

DigitSo Member

GPU:
    Sapphire HD 4670 512Mb
    Noooo ! I hate computers... but I love them so much...I'm so confused !

And the shop where I bought it only had a garanty for 15 days. It has been a little more than 3 months now :(

So do you think I can still RMA it to the manufacturer ?

If not I'm :banana: ....

Thanks for the replies though

8. deltatux

deltatux Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GIGABYTE Radeon R9 280
    Try to get an RMA from manufacturer.

deltatux

9. elkosith

elkosith Maha Guru

GPU:
    AsRock RX 570
    Yup, sounds like died mobo, happened to me once, same symptoms. RMA

10. FULMTL

FULMTL Ancient Guru

GPU:
    AOC 27"
    does the light on the mobo come on?

11. DigitSo

DigitSo Member

GPU:
    Sapphire HD 4670 512Mb
    I don't think there is lights on this MoBo

And anyway, I got it checked by ''professionals'' and looks like something is fried on the motherboard so...RMA it is..

Worst thing is that when the MoBo died, it took my CPU with it.. They are now on their way for the Hardware Paradise

May your memory be full of Terabytes, your heart be overclocked like crazy and cooled at a temperature of −273°C and have enough power to light up the Sun.

R.I.P.

:stewpid: