Computer upgrade

Discussion in 'General Hardware' started by Riktol, Nov 25, 2012.

Tags:
  1. Riktol

Riktol New Member

GPU:
    ATI Radeon HD 5670 1GB
    Hi,
    First time posting, excuse my ignorance of everything etc etc.

So my current PC is a bit crap and it's been particularly buggy of late so I'm looking to upgrade it. I don't have the money for a full scale rebuild (unlike Hideaki Anno and Gainax) so I'm just going to replace the Processor, Motherboard, RAM and probably the graphics card. OK so that's most of it, but anyway.
    Current specs as follows:
    CPU: Intel Core 2 Duo E6750 @ 2.66GHz
    GFX: ATI Radeon HD 5670 1GB
    HDD: Hitachi 500GB
    RAM: 2x2GB DDR2 Ram @ 800MHz
    PSU: Corsair HX 520W

Given that I haven't looked at the hardware market in the last 3 years or so, and all decisions on the current build came from another party, I thought I should ask for a 2nd opinion and this seems to be the place to do it.

This is what I've come up with so far:
    AMD FX-4300 3.8/4.0GHz (AM3+) (might go for the 6300 as it isn't much more expensive)
    Gigabyte GA-970A-DS3 AMD 970A (AM3+) (Aria guarantees that this will work with a Piledriver CPU)
    2x4 GB DDR3 RAM @1800Mhz (probably from Corsair, I hear they are reliable)

I've found all this on Aria PC and Overclockers UK for ~£200 (although I guess some of that is the weekend sales, I should have done this weeks ago). It may be apparent at this point that I live in the UK, hence no NewEgg.

I'm not really sure what to do about a graphics card at the moment because I don't really understand my options fully.
    I'm fairly sure I can run my current graphics card in Crossfire, but I always assumed that I'd need a second identical card. I've recently read that it will work with the same era (5xxx) or possibly the same subset (57xx). If that's the case I'd be interested to know the specifics of what I can do and what sort of boost I can get, then look around on Ebay for something.
    If I'm not going to get anything good out of it, I guess I'll settle for a cheapish AMD card again.

As far as requirements go, the most demanding things I'd be running would be Napoleon Total War, Civilization 5 and Crusader Kings 2. I'll be picking up Total War: Rome 2 but that's not due for another year... BTW the first 2 I mentioned tend to suffer from graphics glitches when running on medium right now which is pretty annoying.

Right that's enough from me, let me know what you think.
    Riktol

(TL;DR right?)

2. Pill Monster

Pill Monster Banned

GPU:
    7950 Vapor-X 1100/1500
    How much of your budget do you have left after the $200 is spent?

Also - may want to check out scan.co.uk