Computer stuttering

Discussion in 'General Hardware' started by Enozekun, Nov 22, 2009.

1. Enozekun

Enozekun Master Guru

GPU:
    ASUS 8800GT
    Something is really wrong with my computer. And yeah, i know it's all old hardware but if possible i'd like to fix it as cheaply as possible.

At first the stuttering only occured when i played games. As soon as i launched a game everything started stuttering like crazy. I tried everything i could think of; reinstalling video/audio-drivers and even reinstalling the whole computer. Nothing helped so i pretty much gave up. The stuttering came and went as it pleased so sometimes i could play for days without any issue and sometimes i couldn't do anything at all.

Anyhoo, i barely play games on my computer anymore so i thought the problem was out of the world but then the stuttering started occuring when i was watching video. Now it even happens when i play music!

The stuttering is hard to describe, but it's kinda like as if the audio and video goes into slow-motion for a second or two and the audio starts crackling. It comes and goes and it doesn't seem to be affected by anything i do.

Any ideas on what's wrong? I've ran tests on my hard-drive and RAM and nothing showed up. To me it seems like the hard-drive is the culprit but i'm no computer techie. Worth noting is that i replaced this hard-drive just a couple of months ago, the old one broke and i had warranty (which i still do). I would like to locate the problem and try to fix it but i'm leaning towards just buying a new motherboard, RAM and CPU and be done with this crap :bang:

2. Pill Monster

Pill Monster Banned

GPU:
    7950 Vapor-X 1100/1500
    Check your PSU 12v Rail while your Video Card is under load, then come back with the results..
    I use Everest personally......actually you could also bench it with OCCT if you prefer.

There's a 90% chance it's your PSU.

Last edited: Nov 22, 2009
  3. magicdave26

magicdave26 Banned

GPU:
    S-HD 5770 1GB 1000 / 1400
    Overheating ?

Reapply thermal paste to the CPU, clean the heatsinks,

Bad RAM?

Remove strips 1 by 1 see if it goes away

Try a new Graphics card