Computer shuts off & shuts on randomly!!!

Discussion in 'General Hardware' started by djrtek, Aug 17, 2005.

1. djrtek

djrtek Member Guru

GPU:
    PNY 6600 GT 128mb
    Just recently, my computer has been turning off and turning on by itself. I'm thinking it's the powersupply maybe? I would really appreciate some help if you can. Thanks.

2. reflex

reflex Ancient Guru

GPU:
    BFG 8800GT 725/1800/2000
    Before getting a new PSU Right click on My COmputer > Properties > Advanced > Start Up and Recovery > Settings > Disable "Automatic restart on system failure" and disable the "write debugging into"... its a waste, only M$ can debug your system and i doubt they're going to do it anytime soon.

3. David

David Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GeForce RTX 2070S
    Do you get any message before the computer shuts down?

4. Saeid

Saeid Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Connect3D X800 PCI-Express 256MB
    Its a Worm... "Zodoc" or something.... forgot the name!
    Thats what has been happening to CNN's pc's!

5. djrtek

djrtek Member Guru

GPU:
    PNY 6600 GT 128mb
    no messages or anything. It will just turn off on its own at random times!!! I just went to my local best buy and the guy said that I might need a battery backup for my powersurge. Dies this sound at all correct?

6. Phoenix_Inferno

Phoenix_Inferno Master Guru

GPU:
    eVGA 8800 GTS 320MB
    This happened to me when i had defective memory. The computer would just reboot at random times, but it doesnt turn on randomly though. Check for hardware problems using tests and get any hardware monitor that allows you to log voltages.

7. bigpipe

bigpipe Watson Guru

GPU:
    Gtx 1080

NO! the best buy guy is a dumbass geek! As are most of them in BESTBUY unless you have a power failure that will not do you any good. you may want to check the power strip and PS .
    does it suddenly power off or does it do a proper shutdown or is it going to standby???

8. djrtek

djrtek Member Guru

GPU:
    PNY 6600 GT 128mb
    ^^^ haha yeah. That's what I was sayin to myself when he told me to get a battery backup. I was like wtf? So I just ignored him and got a new PSU...and guess what? It's fixed!

9. bigpipe

bigpipe Watson Guru

GPU:
    Gtx 1080
    :banana:
    way to go

10. MToguro

MToguro Master Guru

GPU:
    SLI Gigabyte G1 970s
    I had the same exact problem. Eventually it got to the stage where it would only stay on for a couple minutes, until the computer shut off before it could even go past the bios logos and stuff, until you turn it on then it stays on for half a second and then shuts off. The problem at first I thought was the PSU, but that didn't work. The motherboard died out for some reason. If eventually your computers shuts off faster and faster rather than random times in that pattern, def. your mobo. Try replacing it.