Computer shuts down by itself

Discussion in 'Videocards - AMD Radeon Drivers Section' started by tq4986, Aug 13, 2010.

1. tq4986

tq4986 New Member

GPU:
    Radeon HD5770
    Hi all,

I just put together a new system and have a problem that I just can't fix. I hope you can give me some ideas.

System:
    Gigabyte GA X58A-UD3R MB
    Intel i7 920
    Corsair TX750 PS
    OCZ Vertex SSD
    Win 7 64Bit
    ATI Radeon HD5770 850M 16MB (S/N L5H031205)

My issue is that when I load the video driver the system loads all the way into the OS fine and then after about oh say 2-5 mins it just shuts down. If I boot into safe mode with and without networking it doesn't do it. If I delete the driver and boot up with standard VGA it also doesn't do it. I loaded the latest driver suite 10.7 and it does it every time. Ugh. Advice?

Thanks.

2. TwL

TwL Ancient Guru

GPU:
    2x5850 2x6950 + 9800GTX
    Re-seat the PCIe power connectors & card after you've installed the driver.

Sounds like problem on getting enough power. Also make sure you use PCIe #1-#2 and not the second ones on some powers this does, matter.

(2-5 mins sounds a bit shaky is this an time machine is in IDLE at windows? asking since on IDLE state that would be pretty near exact time Windows
    'WinSAT'/performance test would start testing new drivers automatically in system and, if that stress would cause above mentioned power loss it would
    indeed just shut down/power down.)

Last edited: Aug 13, 2010
  3. jmsquared

jmsquared Member

GPU:
    EVGA GTX690
    Make sure you have all the latest MS updates. I had this happen where I would get unexpected shutdowns, and checking out technet.com it was a problem with Win 7 64bit. System would all of a sudden shut down and reboot. This would happen 3, 4, 5 times a day. A couple of days ago I installed a bunch of Windows 7 updates and it has not happened since. Hope this is of some help!

4. lmimmfn

lmimmfn Ancient Guru

GPU:
    AorusXtreme 1080Ti
    thats handy, saves having to switch it off, lol

nah, seriously, feel your pain, by shuts down do you mean it switches off? if so its either that gfx card or your psu( if it doesnt do it in safe mode and it consistently has the same behaviour on normal boot )

5. Pav4o

Pav4o Member Guru

GPU:
    Sapphire 7970@1025MHz
    As TwL says, this is most likely a power-related issue. I've had such spontaneous shutdowns a) when the PSU does not supply enough power; b) when the motherboard's VRM is not powerful enough to satisfy the CPU.
    Your PSU, however, is OK. Then, maybe, there is a problem with the MB? Although it is a new MB, check for leaking capacitors.
    Also, did you connect the PSU to the 8-pin power connector on the MB?

6. Pill Monster

Pill Monster Banned

GPU:
    7950 Vapor-X 1100/1500
    If it boots OK and you don't have any trouble in safe mode then it's prob not power related.

More likely OS/driver issue or maybe BIOS imho.

7. brazen

brazen Active Member

GPU:
    Asus STRIX GTX 980
    Never heard about this test -- then again, I'm a n00b -- but, Googling brought me to this page. Easy to check then: Reboot, open a command window and run the test immediately. See if it shuts down during the test.

8. Sever

Sever Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Galaxy 3GB 660TI
    check that ALL your pci/pcie cards are inserted properly. i had a similar rebooting with a sound card that couldnt go all the way into the slot (silly gigabyte motherboard's northbridge heatsink had a fail design).

also, in the bios, set the 'halt on' to 'no errors'. yeah, i realise its one of the worst english grammar fails ever. but 'halt on no errors' actually means 'do not halt on any errors'.

and is it just switching off or rebooting? if rebooting, when windows is booting up, press f8, disable automatic restart on system failure.

also try using a different power cable (from power socket to psu), ive had a few dodgy cables before, can cause similar issues.

9. tq4986

tq4986 New Member

GPU:
    Radeon HD5770
    Thanks for all the feedback. I wanted to try a bunch of stuff before I replied. I pulled the card and plugged it into a different slot. No change. I also tried a different PCI-E power cord. No change. I made the bios change 'no errors'. That seemed to fix it! Well at least for a couple of days then it switched off again. Now it is back to its old ways. Ugh! I even got a new HD5770 card and plugged that in. Still no change. It boots up fine but just switches off after a minute or two. No reboot its like someone just turns off the power. Anything else I could try?

- Living in standard VGA mode.....

10. capchaos

capchaos Member

GPU:
    quad palit gtx 580 on h20
    Most likely its ur power supply either going out. It's overheating and ur computer will Jst turn off without warning. Had same issue once before with older powersupply when it wasn't supplying enough juice.

11. Valagard

Valagard Guest

A instant restart where it reboots back to bios start up is either a failing power supply, CPU is overheating, or some motherboards if CPU Fan has turned off/wiring for the fan is interrupted

12. asingh

asingh Master Guru

GPU:
    Powercolor 4890 (X-Fire)
    Try to bread box the system and run it. Also slightly painful, if the SSD is brand new, try installing the OS on a mechanical platter / different SSD.

You will systematically --- one by one isolate each part. Same fashion, try one DIMM module and alternate singularly. Hope this helps.

13. tq4986

tq4986 New Member

GPU:
    Radeon HD5770
    Hi all,

Been a little bit since I had time to reply to this but wanted to get it in writting for the next guy.

Just installed a Cooler Master 1000W and all seems good. I guess the answer is when in doubt go with more power!

Thanks again for all the advice.

14. Pav4o

Pav4o Member Guru

GPU:
    Sapphire 7970@1025MHz
    Glad to hear that your problems are gone :)
    Nevertheless, Corsair TX750 is a very good PSU with an extremely powerful single 12-volt rail. It should have been more than enough for your configuration. This makes me think that the PSU was probably faulty.