Computer runs fans for 3 seconds, turns off, then boots normally

Discussion in 'General Hardware' started by NVofALL, Aug 13, 2013.

1. NVofALL

NVofALL New Member

GPU:
    EVGA GTX 690
    Hi all,

I have a Maximus Gene VI which is overcloking my CPU (4770k) using CPU boost (the auto overclocking utility in the maximus) to 4.6GHz

When I press the power button, the fans spin at 100% for 3 seconds, then stop for 2 seconds (and the computer is silent) then the computer boots normally automatically.

Does anyone know why this is? It isn't causing a problem, but it is extremely weird. Has anyone experienced this before?

Computer works fine otherwise.

2. Scerate

Scerate Maha Guru

GPU:
    2080@2.1/1070N@2.0
    how high does that CPU boost Overclock your memory if any?

3. gunman127

gunman127 Master Guru

GPU:
    980Ti 6GB 960 2GB
    All my machines do that, nothing too serious.
    In my system I have 4 HDD on one splitter lead, which is unavoidable in the 800D, so the starting torque current draw combined with the CPU and GPU current draw make the PSU unhappy.
    Once the drives are already spinning from the first power on, the second power on uses less power and boots normally.

If I unplug 2 of 4 HDD it boots first time every time, so very certain it's that, in my case at least!

4. War child

War child Master Guru

GPU:
    Gainward 980Ti SLI
    Doesnt it usually do this when you use the bios auto Overclock tuning?

My p67 Sabertooth used to do that. and sometimes it would then report that Overclock failed.

I would think if you set the CPU to stock, your pc will boot straight into your OS.

5. NVofALL

NVofALL New Member

GPU:
    EVGA GTX 690
    I dont think it overclocks the memory at all. I am using 1600mhz G.Skill Ripjaws.

I am also using 2 SSD's so there shouldnt be much power draw there either. Might try setting CPU back to normal to see what happens. The GTX 690 also might be drawing a lot of powerat boot I assume.

6. Vxheous

Vxheous Maha Guru

GPU:
    MSI GTX 1070 X
    You should see what voltage the auto overclock is using to get 4.6 Ghz, the manually set it below that while maintaining stability. The auto overclock typically uses way more voltage than you need, which can degrade yoir cpu alot faster