Computer randomly shutting off

Discussion in 'General Hardware' started by VigVoodoo, Dec 9, 2010.

1. VigVoodoo

VigVoodoo Member

GPU:
    2 XFX Radeon HD 4870 1GB
    Hate my computer right now. My computer is randomly shutting off. I was getting a kernel power critical error in event logger and random BSOD on boot. But after a format and OS re-install (win7 pro 64) I'm getting event id 6008, eventlog error. Also amdkmdag is spamming event id 6145 errors. What gives? Thanks in advanced!

2. Atlas

Atlas Maha Guru

GPU:
    290 x2, Saphire reference
    Do you have a spare psu?

3. VigVoodoo

VigVoodoo Member

GPU:
    2 XFX Radeon HD 4870 1GB
    Not at the moment. Is ther anyway I can test it with software or a voltmeter?

4. Altazimuth

Altazimuth Maha Guru

GPU:
    Sapphire Vapor-X 5870
    The BIOS should be accurate enough, unless you want to buy a Multimeter and take readings from the ATX Motherboard Connector.

It looks to me that you need a new PSU though.

5. VigVoodoo

VigVoodoo Member

GPU:
    2 XFX Radeon HD 4870 1GB
    I have noticed, since I built this system, that it sometimes makes a loud static noise thru the speakers when I reboot it or shut it down. As if the PSU were not powering off completely or something.

System Specs:

Operating System - Microsoft Windows 7 Professional 64-Bit
    Processor - AMD Phenom II X3 720 Black Edition (was overclocked to 3.2GHz, not at stock 2.8GHz)
    Memory - 4 x 2GB G.Skill Ripjaws DDR3 1333
    Motherboard - ECS A790GXM-AD3 AM3
    Graphics - Dual XFX Radeon HD 4870 750M 1GB (CrossFireX enabled)
    Storage - Intel 80GB X25-M G2 SSD (Main drive, OS, AHCI), Western Digital Caviar Black 640GB SATA HD (AHCI), Samsung Spinpoint F4 HD204UI 2TB SATA HD (AHCI)
    Power - Thermaltake Toughpower W0106RU 700 Watt
    Case - Cooler Master CM 690 II Advanced Mid Tower

6. Atlas

Atlas Maha Guru

GPU:
    I take it you build the system yourself?

7. stenelaus

stenelaus Master Guru

GPU:
    HIS Radeon4650 1GB PCIE
    random BSODs...sucks!
    you could easily try and do this:
    1. reboot
    2. when this screen pops up
    [​IMG]
    quickly press F8 for a number of times (but don't forget not to leave any cds the rom)
    3. a new menu will pop up, and you can choose your boot type
    4. you can now select Last Known Good Configuration
    5. this option restores you boot settings to default/normal and it should halt your random BSOD...altough i ALWAYS blame it on the software...
    It's always the software that interferes with the hardware, so it's best to update to your latest drivers for every hardware component!

8. VigVoodoo

VigVoodoo Member

GPU:
    2 XFX Radeon HD 4870 1GB
    Installed a new Corsair 650TX. Ran fine all day yesterday playing BF:BC2. Then last night after being on the internet a while I launched BF:BC2, 2 minutes later it powers off. First screen freezes, then the USB stuff powers off, then the PC. So I rebooted and it powered off again. I'm getting critical error 41 (Kernel-Power) in event viewer. Also get a 6008 error in event viewer, but right before that I have an information event 89 (Kernel-Power). Also getting a mess of AMDKMDAG event 62464 errors, over 1,000 in the last hour alone. Now it's powering off more and more often. I can't even load anything intensive.

The computer does not BSOD, it just powers off. The same as unplugging the power.

9. USERSTIR

USERSTIR Member

GPU:
    ASUS 5850 DIRECTCU.
    Hi. VigVoodoo.

Check if your computer or monitor cables are the problem.
    They could be too old.

10. Kittles

Kittles Member

GPU:
    Radaeon HD 5870 1Gig
    Psu, ram!

11. CoreyPL

CoreyPL Master Guru

GPU:
    RTX2080 Super WC
    Try to scan your RAM with Memtest86+ (bootable ISO). That much errors usually suggest bad RAM. You already changed your PSU, so let's assume it's good. Next check is CPU or GPU aren't overheating (GPU-Z for GPU temp and HWMonitor for CPU temp). You can use Furmark/Kombustor to stress GPU and Prime95/OCCT to stress CPU.

Check if PSU cables are secured in connectors. Try to run your PC with as few components connected as possible - maybe they are crashing your system. Especially disconnect USB devices.

Use power strip with surge protector to connect your PC to electrical outlet - maybe your electrical grid is poor.

If there is much dust in your PC, dust it off using canned compressed air.

12. VigVoodoo

VigVoodoo Member

GPU:
    2 XFX Radeon HD 4870 1GB
    Okay guys I went ahead and removed both HD 4870's (using onboard HD 3200), all memory sticks except 1. The thing is still powering off randomly. Less often but still powering off.

Someone mentioned it might be the video cards so I installed one of my HD 4870s into another PC I just built. It powers off randomly now also.

The only thing I get in both systems is the Kernel Power 41 error in event viewer, but that only tells me that the system powered down unexpectedly.

So is there something wrong with both video cards, the motherboard, or both systems? I'm losing sleep over this please help.

13. SaberJ2X

SaberJ2X Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Zotac 3080 OC
    sounds like board to me

14. VigVoodoo

VigVoodoo Member

GPU:
    2 XFX Radeon HD 4870 1GB
    So whats wrong with the other system that is also powering off? Its board is bad too?

15. OllieIcon

OllieIcon Member Guru

GPU:
    Sapphire AMD Radeon 5970
    Well seeing as the other build you tried it on also crashed, i presume that either:
    1. A huge build up of dust inside the GPU
    2. The GPU is over heating
    3. The fan is not working correctly
    4. GPU has faults

But how could that cause it to shut down? Maybe you Mobo has an onboard function to auto power off if components became over heated or to much voltage is going through it.

Check on MSI Afterburner that you have not accidentally OC the GPU loads and are stressing/overheating it.

Im not great with this stuff, but thats all i could say,

Ollie

16. VigVoodoo

VigVoodoo Member

GPU:
    2 XFX Radeon HD 4870 1GB
    I don't think it's the GPU overheating. It also does with the onboard video.

17. deltatux

deltatux Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GIGABYTE Radeon R9 280
    Sounds like either a PSU or board problem. Try installing another PSU in the system (ask a friend or walk into a computer store and ask if you can borrow a PSU just to see if it'll boot your system). If it can't or does this problem, then your board is the problem.

deltatux

18. VigVoodoo

VigVoodoo Member

GPU:
    2 XFX Radeon HD 4870 1GB
    I already installed a new PSU, same issue. I also used the GPU and old PSU in another system, same problem.

19. Atlas

Atlas Maha Guru

GPU:
    Get some alcohol and clean the contact points on the videocards.

20. VigVoodoo

VigVoodoo Member

GPU:
    2 XFX Radeon HD 4870 1GB
    It does it even without the videocards. The one thing both systems have in common is the Catalyst drivers, can that be the issue?