Computer major question

Discussion in 'The Guru's Pub' started by ViolentReaper, Aug 1, 2007.

1. ViolentReaper

ViolentReaper Master Guru

GPU:
    Nvidia PNY GTX 560 Ti
    Hello people, ive recently been on the search for colleges, and i am still not completely sure of my major. However, i have always been into computers, and am looking into computer information systems as a major. Now, i originally thought that computer science would be my choice, but i took a java programming class, and i disliked it and found it difficult and tedious. I found that computer science is heavily into the programming aspect, which i would not do well in.

Computer information systems seems better for me, since it does not rely on programming nearly as much, but focuses on a mixing of business and computers. However, i am still investigating, and i am curious as to whether CIS relies on programming. Are there good computer careers that do not require programming experience? In the future, i was looking into working for companies such as microsoft or intel or whatever, with an emphasis on business, possibly working with developing new programs. My question is, would computer information systems be good for me? With CIS, could i get a future job in helping to create PC games/programs/hardware?

Thanks; I am still not exactly sure what i want to do with computers, but im sure that many of you have experience that could be shared with me.

2. Psytek

Psytek Ancient Guru

GPU:
    2x 260 GTX 216 SLI
    Sounds like you want to get into marketing more than computers.

And this may come as a shock, but if you want to develop new programs, you might need to be a programmer.

3. ViolentReaper

GPU:
    Nvidia PNY GTX 560 Ti
    Yeah thats true with developing programs, but on the marketing aspect i could possibly help a new program or hardware/software product financially

4. AlecRyben

AlecRyben Ancient Guru

GPU:
    5x580 2x590 2x780Ti 1x970
    Ask yourself why do you like computers in the first place?
    If you only like to use them it doesn't automatically mean that you have the talent for becoming an expert in computing. There are millions of users out there who don't really know much about computer science but still enjoy using computers all the time.
    So, choose you major wisely: if you dislike programming and math, stay away from computing majors. Be aware that there is a lot of math even in information science.

5. Pat the Cat

Pat the Cat Ancient Guru

GPU:
    nVidia 6800 Ultra 425/1120

6. Psytek

Psytek Ancient Guru

GPU:
    2x 260 GTX 216 SLI
    AI basically boils down to very complex programming at the end of the day.

7. CrazyMonkey

CrazyMonkey Member

GPU:
    X1950pro
    Very Very Complex..

Give it a quick google, even some of the simplest games like chess require a magnitude of code.

8. LedHed

LedHed Banned

GPU:
    BenQ FP241W
    I hated programming in Fortran and Java. It's basically like trying to learn Spanish and then do math in Spanish. I don't see the fun in it at all either, but to each their own.

9. darknight909

darknight909 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    EVGA GTX 2080
    i enjoy programming, but there is no way I could do AI programming. AI is way beyond me and way to complex.

Any computer science courses are going to have programming in them. Im majoring in computer networking, which I didnt think would have to much programming in it, but I was wrong.

10. Sieras

Sieras Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Gigabyte GTX 970 G1 4GB
    Almost everything related with computers has programming in them, that's natural. I'm studying informatics in the uni, and we have a whole bunch of things, which are related with programming in one way or another. And I like it that way, hope to become a good programmer one day :)

11. ViolentReaper

GPU:
    Nvidia PNY GTX 560 Ti
    Thanks for the input guys, i am coming to realize that in-depth computers is probably not for me. However, i would be good in business, and would like to pursue marketing/Finance. Even if i didn't work with computers so much, i could possibly work with a computer company down the road (in marketing), working to sell and promote new software/hardware computer products.

12. Roberto88h

Roberto88h Member Guru

GPU:
    MSI 9600GT 512MB
    I'm a second year Chemical and Biomolecular Engineering major at the Georgia Institute of Technology in Atlanta, Georgia USA and let me tell you that almost everybody who has a math/science intensive major here has to take at least one programming class. Even Engineering majors such as myself have to take at least one CS class. How much programming you have to do in real life has more to do with what job you get after college of course.

That may be Georgia Tech, but it wouldn't surprise me if the same is true for many universities/colleges all over the world. I don't know where you plan on attending college, but you may have to accept the fact that if you want that kind of degree means you may have to do some programming. Notice how imprecise and uncertain I'm being with the "mays."

College is about figuring out what you want to do in life and then pursuing it. If you don't know exactly what you want to do with your life when you get to college, don't sweat it. Sure you have to figure out what you want eventually, but very few people come out of high school (secondary school I believe it is called in other parts of the world) knowing what they want to do after college. If you don't want to do any programming then the choice is simple. Don't pursue a major like CS or CIS, etc. You'll find something you love. It may take some time, but you will find it.

I'm just trying to share my insight into the college world seeing as how I am only a little bit ahead of you in the whole scheme of things. I do not claim to be an expert by any means, but you will learn a lot by the time you finish your first year, believe me.

Sometimes I get on a rant and don't know when to stop so I'm cutting myself off here before I get even more off topic.

Good luck and have fun,

Robert