Computer keeps turning itself off

Discussion in 'General Hardware' started by SlinkY258, Nov 17, 2009.

1. SlinkY258

SlinkY258 Active Member

Hi
    So after installing all my new stuff my computer shuts down after about 5 minutes,Its like someone just pulls the plug out.
    It sis start doing it before i put my new stuff in but i think that was due to temp because for some reason my gpu was running at 90c plus while just looking on the web.
    im thinking it could be my ram or my new psu because i had my old cpu and gpu in with my corsair 750w psu and it shut down the pc, thought that was just because the psu was pumping to much into the gpu.

Any advice would be appreciated.

2. jimlad

jimlad Master Guru

GPU:
    gtx 970
    make sure the cpu fan is seated properly.

3. SlinkY258

SlinkY258 Active Member

Im pretty sure ive clicked it in to place right because i checked and it didnt move.When the pc is on all the fans are on and going at a good speed.

4. DAMAFIA

DAMAFIA Master Guru

GPU:
    7970@1180/1800
    sounds like its over heating it will shut down like its had the power ripped out my old opteron used to do it had to take off its IHS to keep it cool and my quad did it when the pump dint start got an alarm on now tho

but yes check that its seated right and got some TIM on as well and put sum more or bigger fans on or blowing at the heatsink

5. SlinkY258

SlinkY258 Active Member

Well ive got it in safe mode at the moment and the cpu is at mid 50s and both cores are at mid 40s

6. SlinkY258

SlinkY258 Active Member

i just checked my cpu temp in the BIOS and it went up to about 128before my computer shut off and it was only on for about 1minute are these temp really true?I just check my cpu paste and theres not alot on there and its dried up so would some new paste and a new cpu cooling fan bring them down quiet abit?

7. jimlad

jimlad Master Guru

GPU:
    gtx 970
    remove old paste, thin layer of new paste, reseat fan, Temps will be ok.

8. SlinkY258

SlinkY258 Active Member

What would you recommend to get the old paste off?

9. kapu

kapu Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Radeon 6800
    Do you hear any beeping from mobo when booting ?

10. Arctucas

Arctucas Ancient Guru

GPU:
    eVGA RTX2080 FTW3
    91% isopropyl alcohol on a paper coffee filter.

11. SlinkY258

SlinkY258 Active Member

When my computer starts up i hear like a sort of click.

12. SlinkY258

SlinkY258 Active Member

i really dont think its due to overheating.My cpu temps are in there 50s to lower 40s acording to nvidia and my gpu isnt hot.Im testing the ram 1 at a time to see if its that.THo ill put some new paste on tomorrow to see if it helps.
    Also i dont hear any beeps on the start up like i did with my old machine but sometimes the computer still gets to desktop.

13. mrmonsoon

mrmonsoon Master Guru

GPU:
    Asus 7870+2509M+2511X
    Clearly, based on your shutdown temps, you have a cpu overheating issue.

Have you considered a after-market cpu cooler like a zalman 9700???

BTW, your idle temp is 40-50's it is the load temp (while gaming) that counts.

That is what is causing the heating issues.

You can also try removing the side of the case to allow more airflow.

14. SlinkY258

SlinkY258 Active Member

the temps are just normal,not gamming or anything.I was thinking of buying a cooler for my cpu but im not to convinced that its a heat issue because i thought those temps where ok.My computer has been on for about 10minutes now and the temps have gone up to 70s but it hasnt shutdown yet.
    It started shutting down like this with my old system which had all old parts apart from the ram and mb tho my gpu was burining up for some reason high 90s.

15. Sqeak

Sqeak Master Guru

GPU:
    MSI PE GTX670 2GB
    Overheating is the usual cause of a shutdown like that. No blue screen or anything and it shutdowns in the middle of boots, correct? I would also go ahead and make sure the whole case is cleaned out (I am sure you already did this) and re-seat all of your components including cables just to make sure nothing has come loose. Also you said your thermal paste is dried upa bit and flaky? I am guessing you already pulled the heatsink off and have re-seated it with the same paste. This can create problems with air bubbles underneath the heatsink leading to even more heat issues. I would go ahead and re-apply thermal paste just because of this fact.

16. mrmonsoon

mrmonsoon Master Guru

GPU:
    Asus 7870+2509M+2511X
    "i just checked my cpu temp in the BIOS and it went up to about 128"

The processor needs to stay @70C or less.

The fact that it goes way past that is a clear sign that your cpu is overheating.

A good aftermarket cooler like a zalman 9700 is what you need.

17. SlinkY258

SlinkY258 Active Member

Ill take everything out and rebuild it again,get some new paste and a new cooler and see if it changes anything.

18. heliman41

heliman41 Master Guru

GPU:
    MSI 260OC -640/1300/1100
    Long as your tearing down your PC take a single edge razer blade & hold it on the top of the CPU to determine if the CPU has a flat surface, it may have a bad convex or concave to it.
    If it does then your going to have probs no matter what cooling sys you use unless you lap it flat first. Just a suggestion long as you have the sys opened up its always good piece of mind knowing your chip is flat. My 550 BE I checked before install & it was the flattest chip ive ever seen, i mean perfectly flat & ive OCed it from 3.1 to 3.7 & the temps never even raised 1c im not kidding. So flatness is importaint for cooling.
    Also I have no idea what case your using but if its small & cramped all the wiring will block the airflow, as stated above after re-seating the CPU using just the bare min amount of tim to cover the CPU open the side case & blow air on the M/B using a small box fan just to see IF that fixes the prob.
    If it does replace the side cover & watch the temps if they raise again then its the case setup not the CPU. A large side fan sucking in is a good investment.
    A hi-end aftermarket cooler is a pretty much must have too IMHO IF the CPU is overheating.
    If you ndo need a larger case get one that has a exit fan on the top sucking the hot air out, they cool the best with cool air sucking in at the bottom & front.
    I saw a Mastercooler case just like this yesterday at Best Buy & tossed & turned all night over it so im gonna buy it today.
    I have a small case & have to run my side cover off with a fan on it due to cramped setup so this prob will be over soon, the case is an investment as importaint as the PSU in some situations due to cooling issues.

Last edited: Nov 18, 2009
  19. SlinkY258

SlinkY258 Active Member

Is there anyway i could check its not my MB or psu that is broke.

20. SlinkY258

SlinkY258 Active Member

I could test the psu with my old one but its a reallly crappy 650w cheap one.Would it be ok to run a gtx275 876mb card?