Computer hard freeze with MSI Afterburner

Discussion in 'MSI AfterBurner Application Development Forum' started by Krohling, Apr 6, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Krohling

Krohling Member

GPU:
    HIS HD6870 1GB
    This is strange. So far the only game that I'm having problems is Battlefield Bad Company 2. Never had these problems before.

Last year I already used MSI Afterburner, not sure which version it was. Now the MSI Afterburner software version must be different/newer, because 2.1.0 final wasn't released yet.

But I had to reinstall OS and after that last fresh install I'm unable to use MSI Afterburner and play Batlefield Bad Company 2. Just after a few minutes, usually less than one round lasts the PC will freeze.

The game freezes with a sound freeze. It's a hardware freeze, nothing works (ALT+TAB, mouse, etc). Even the RESET button seems delayed because I press it and only after a few seconds the PC will actually RESET. So when this freezing happens I'm having to turn off the power.

And I'm using the GPU drivers Catalyst 11.2. But I also tried the older Catalyst I used back in December (10.12) with MSI Afterburner without problems.

I only change the FAN speed settings to a custom curve because the FAN is too slow when the GPU is under load. I don't overclock. I'm also not overclocking the CPU.

Also when windows boot for the first time the FAN speed control will not engage the custom FAN speed curve I've set, it will set the fan speed at 50% and I have to manually re-enable the custom FAN speed control.

Important to note that without MSI Afterburner I'll play Bad Company 2 normally. But I don't want my GPU going up to 80ºC whilst it can do 65-67ºC with an optimized-performance FAN speed set.

My PC: ASUS P7P55D Deluxe, i5 760, OCZ 4GB DDR3, HIS HD6870, Corsair 650TX, + 5 SATA HDDs,

Last edited: Apr 6, 2011
  2. N3MBOT

N3MBOT Member Guru

GPU:
    Gigabyte R9 280xoc
    i have the exact same problem , i just dont get the sound when it freezes like most do , i also only use MSI to capture video so i have no OC or fan profile or anyhting else diferent from the default settings.
    happens with version 2.1 or 2.2 beta and only in BC2 too , uninstalling MSi solves the problem.

would be nice to see the cause pinpointed , all i can say to help is that what happens is indeed a BSOD , windows tells me that when i reboot.
    i could upload the dump file if that helps.

3. cesthree

cesthree Member

GPU:
    Intel HD 3000 IGP
    Just installed my XFX HD 6970 two days ago. Played BC2 for about 15 minutes to test. Played Crysis 2 for about 2 hours.

Found this thread after 3 hard locks playing BC2 last night. This was after 3 hours of IL-2 and 3 hours of DCS: A-10C.

All three lock ups happened at about the 30 minute mark, and 2 of 3 during a map change.

Check my sig. HD 69xx, BC2, and Punkbuster in common.

Found some other threads with similar issues. Most attribute to Punkbuster as well. Might be a solution here.

http://www.overclock.net/pc-games/963377-bfbc2-freezing-crashing-guide-solutions.html#post12704643

http://www.usagaming.net/forum/show...SI-Afterburner-AMD-GPU-FAIL&p=2810&viewfull=1

Will uninstall MSI Afterburner 2.1 tonight and see how long I can play. Hopefully I can just disable the overlay and still be able to use my fan profile. Sigh...

Thanks for reporting about this, It helped me in my searching for a solution.

The funniest thing about this is that I just RMA'd and sold a GTX 480 because it was freezing on me in BIOS, Safe Mode, Streaming Netflix, Resuming from S3 sleep, and NOT in heavy 3D loads. Facepalm.

http://forums.nvidia.com/index.php?showtopic=187401&st=0

Out of the frying pan and into the fryer.

4. N3MBOT

N3MBOT Member Guru

GPU:
    Gigabyte R9 280xoc
    safest thing is to uninstall afterburner until PB comes out with another update that hopefuly wont mess up things, works for me , same GC.

5. Unwinder

Unwinder Moderator Staff Member

There are no open BFBC2 related issues in MSI Afterburner and there are no any fixes from MSI Afterburner side expected.
    The crashes in BFBC2 are caused by the next bug in memory scanner of the latest PunkBuster update released by EvenBalance on 9.3.2011. The flaw in scanner resulting in accessing hardware mapped memory is causing hardware to hang in conjunction with wide range of hardware monitoring applications including Gigabyte EasyTune 6, Sapphire Trixx, Techpowerup GPU-Z, MSI Afterburner and many other. So contact EA/EvenBalance and force them to fix their bugged anticheat system. End of story, closed and sticked the thread.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.