Computer doesn't perform as expected.

Discussion in 'General Hardware' started by ekimator, Apr 4, 2012.

1. tyRant.594

tyRant.594 Master Guru

GPU:
    MSI R9 280x
    if your using the 301 driver from nvidia, uninstall and dl the msi 300.83 driver. Solved my problems. Let me know.

2. Virtue

Virtue Master Guru

GPU:
    GTX 670 WF3
    edit nevermind

3. ekimator

ekimator Master Guru

GPU:
    EVGA GeForce GTX 780 3GB
    Someone else on the wow forums said that driver solved his problems. I'll attempt it when I get home.

Just curious, where can you download it (safe site)?

And were you having similar hitching issues as me? (to tyrant)

4. ekimator

ekimator Master Guru

GPU:
    EVGA GeForce GTX 780 3GB
    Also, is it possible that my Motherboard is faulty like he just said?

Maybe my ram? (it is a problem whenever I turn in games, could it be the ram not keeping up?)

I remember it being only 50 dollars for the 8 gigs, did i go too cheap?

I would spend the money if it would fix all my problems. I am just terrified of spending 600 dollars on a new CPU/MOBO/RAM to have it not help, or realize that it was only one of those things and I wasted money.

I just want to be able to run a game well, any of them.

Even tribes, which used to run fine for me is acting weird now. :/

5. tweakpower

tweakpower Banned

GPU:
    MSI HD 6770

I can't understand why people when something is wrong talk about RAM. First of all, RAM is so simple opposed to MOBO or GPU (or any other component in PC) that it comes almost not possible to make (produce) it wrong. Second thing is, if RAM is faulty, most probably you would be unable to even install game (or OS), if is overclocked on the other hand, it can produce similar problems you described. But, even the worst modules are designed very well that they work perfect to it's specification (very rarely some chips are overclocked to unstable clocks, i think now there is none).

Only advice is, stop wasting your time, go to the shop you got your PC, and tell them to change your MOBO and GPU. Stay away from Gigabyte, and you should be fine. If i was you, i would go to ASUS or MSI, but it is your choice.

I'm sorry if looks like I'm flaming on GB etc. I just want to help you engoy your rig as you should. Cheers.

6. ekimator

ekimator Master Guru

GPU:
    EVGA GeForce GTX 780 3GB
    There is no store I bought my pc. It's all parts from newegg that are a year old, except for the 680.

Okay, let's say the ram is fine then. Is there anything it could be other than the GPU/CPU/MOBO?

I have a 3 year warranty with the GPU and it's brand new so I'm assuming it's fine. But if it comes down to it, I will buy a new Motherboard, as I'm thinking the CPU itself should be fine?

I'm lost on what to do, just looking for advice.

7. maxfly

maxfly Ancient Guru

GPU:
    2x GTX 980 TI
    are you experiencing the gameplay issues in single, multi player or both?

8. ekimator

ekimator Master Guru

GPU:
    EVGA GeForce GTX 780 3GB
    Both. It is pretty much every game, single and multi.

Quick References of games

Tribes Ascend: looking over large areas, FPS drops to 90, mouse movement skips when looking in these directions and gpu usage drops to 80%. When it's at 98% in smaller areas i'm at 120 FPS and smooth as can be. (60 Hz Monitor).

Crysis 2: I get 75 FPS average, and it looks pretty smooth in the times square benchmark. When I actually play I bounce from 50-60 and at 50 it looks like it's choppy. (single player, opening levels)

WoW: No VSYNC max settings (shadows down to high because of ultra bugs) frame rate is always 100+ but the screen tearing is rough. Vsync on, it will be at 60 and bounce down to 50-55 when something big happens, figured it should stay 60 solid. But the big issue is that even while at 60 solid it will skip frames, or stutter slightly if I just move in a straight line and look to the side.

Diablo 3: (always online) stutters very hard, but others have mentioned this problem, so not my biggest worry (although still a worry because I want this game so badly).

The Witcher 2: Running at 60+ Frame rate at most occasions, just bad screen tearing, vsync is too laggy.

BF3 - small maps even with 64 players 60-90 FPS. Pretty smooth gameplay. Open maps with 64 players - 50-90, but no matter what the FPS, it has the same Open View stutter that Tribes has.

So what is the catalyst here causing a stutter throughout different games, all with an open world view?

Saints Row the third and Splinter Cell conviction and L4d2 all run pretty well.

9. tweakpower

tweakpower Banned

GPU:
    MSI HD 6770
    It looks like a MOBO and GPU problem. CPU's are all the same, and they goes trough very strong quality control, unless is CPU bottleneck (i doubt it is), it is most probably MOBO (since you had same problems with old GTX580) or both MOBO and GPU.

Replace your 680 then (if is less then few weeks you got it, you can replace only because you are not satisfied with product, not sure how law is there) and buy new motherboard.

One thing is for sure, it is not a software problem, and most likely it is not CPU, RAM, or HDD/SSD. And you have very good PSU also.

Also, you can test it with faster CPU and same configuration, but i doubt it will be much difference (still it is easier).

Last edited: Apr 9, 2012
  10. ekimator

ekimator Master Guru

GPU:
    EVGA GeForce GTX 780 3GB
    I'll look up what the replacement GPU program is. It is within 30 days and I purchased it directly form EVGA. Only problem is I don't have a replacement card so I'll be computerless. But i'll take a look.

I'll also try and update to the new beta drivers that came out today, also I read about this "energy saver" process with gigabyte motherboards that throttles the CPU sometimes. Going to try and disable it tonight, before making purchases.

11. Mufflore

Mufflore Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Aorus 3090 Xtreme
    I think you are jumping way ahead.
    Your hardware is most likely fine.

I stopped helping you because you didnt answer my posts #6 and #13.
    Another thing to try, install new windows on a spare drive and see if the problems follow it.

12. ekimator

ekimator Master Guru

GPU:
    EVGA GeForce GTX 780 3GB
    Sorry, I get excited when people suggest that stuff. It's why I don't medicate based on internet logic. I answered 6, with the BIOS screen and the screenshot I posted in post 19. CPU hit 100%. I installed windows on the HDD as well, same issues.

And I could swear I answered the other one in another post, but no time to look. MY GPU utilization when at 98% is perfect. I'mg etting the performance desired generally (still some stutters), but more noticeably when it goes to like 80%, and the CPU is at 100% such as the screenshot, I get a feeling of lag.

13. Mufflore

Mufflore Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Aorus 3090 Xtreme
    Ah, didnt spot that, must be blind.

It looks like you have your problem, you are CPU limited.
    When a core gets around 90% occupied or higher, it starts to hold the game up and can cause stutters.
    Cores 2 is the main culprit.

Clock the CPU higher if you can, allow up to 72C when stability testing
    Stability test it with Prime95, use Blend mode for say 1/2hr to 4 hrs depending how bored you are.
    Dont use a game as a stability or temperature test, its not a valid test if you want to ensure stability.

If you are using the stock CPU cooler, consider getting a better one.

14. ---TK---

---TK--- Ancient Guru

GPU:
    2x 980Ti Gaming 1430/7296
    I`ve stability tested in the low 90`s in the summer heat at 4.8 no problem, but I would try to keep it at 85c stress testing only. keep it at 72c max 24/7 lower if possible 65c or so

15. ekimator

ekimator Master Guru

GPU:
    EVGA GeForce GTX 780 3GB
    I couldn't get stable any higher. I'm already at 4.2 4.3 gave me errors. I have an after market cooler. I don't think every game had those results though. The wow stutter doesn't max out, nor diablo. I see some people okay with 3.3 how would 4 plus cause problems

16. Mufflore

Mufflore Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Aorus 3090 Xtreme
    If you get stutter when the CPU isnt near 90% use on any core, that game has a different issue and needs dealing with separately.
    Note: its per core, you can have 1 core at 100% and the others at 10%, giving an overall CPU use of 37.5% but it will hitch games if framerate isnt at vsync or higher.

Can you check CPU use and GPU use again for each of the other problem games.
    Also check to see if your hard drive light is active a lot when hitching occurs.
    Use MSI Afterburner to see if you reach maximum gfx memory use as well.

17. ---TK---

---TK--- Ancient Guru

GPU:
    2x 980Ti Gaming 1430/7296
  18. Mufflore

Mufflore Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Aorus 3090 Xtreme
    If you get stutter when the CPU isnt near 90% use on any core, that game has a different issue and needs dealing with separately.
    Note: its per core, you can have 1 core at 100% and the others at 10%, giving an overall CPU use of 37.5% but it will hitch games if framerate isnt at vsync or higher.

Can you check CPU use and GPU use again for each of the other problem games.
    Also check to see if your hard drive light is active a lot when hitching occurs.
    Use MSI Afterburner to see if you reach maximum gfx memory use as well.

Check your PCI-E speed with CPU-Z, see the motherboard tab.

Soz for the double post.

Last edited: Apr 10, 2012
  19. ekimator

ekimator Master Guru

GPU:
    EVGA GeForce GTX 780 3GB
    I will check everything you said tonight muff and get some screenshots posted in a few hours. Also I use precision x and memory in something like 600 only crisis 2 dx 11 hits the 2 gigs

20. Mufflore

Mufflore Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Aorus 3090 Xtreme
    Exceeding max vmem is another likely cause of stuttering.
    You may need to reduce some gfx settings in game and/or reduce your AA setting.