Computer Backup equipment info needed

Discussion in 'General Hardware' started by Auburnpoet, Sep 23, 2009.

1. Auburnpoet

Auburnpoet New Member

GPU:
    not known
    I have been reading how important it is to backup the information on my computer, in case my hard drive crashes and to protect my data. I have been looking into an external hard drive enclosure to use with some of the old hard drives I have from earlier machines. How can I tell what kind of drives the older ones are, what kind of enclosure to buy, whether or not the old drives will work with my newer machine, and how to erase the older drives so they can be used as storage space? My current PC is a HP 552w and the older drives are from, an HP pavilion 6340, and an HP 513n. The newer machine has Windows XP home and the olders drives have Windows 98and Windows 2000 on them. I am not very computer literate and don't want to spend more than I have to, but I do want something that won't harm my machine for weekly backups. I would appreciate any help I can get. Thanks

2. patch9164

patch9164 Member

GPU:
    Galaxy GTX 470 GC @750Mhz
    As far as I know most external enclosures will accomodate any 3.5 hard drive. There should be a sticker on the old drive telling what model and size it is. If not, when you hook it up to your system and load windows, right click on the drive and hit properties. This will tell you any info you need. After that just right click on the drive and hit format. It will erase all info. Doesn't matter what operating system was on it.

Last edited: Sep 23, 2009
  3. Mega_Death

Mega_Death Maha Guru

GPU:
    Burning CD's is one of the safest back ups.

4. lysaer

lysaer Master Guru

GPU:
    4 x 780ti