Computer acts horrid after cleaning

Discussion in 'Processors and motherboards Intel' started by OmniShift, Aug 10, 2017.

1. OmniShift

OmniShift Master Guru

GPU:
    ASUS GTX 770 DCU2 OC
    So I've cleaned out my computer of dust. It's been gathering for at least a year I'm sure. Most of the cleaning was done by using soft toilet paper for the inside of the case, dust gathered on the watercooling block and PSU, the fan blades, and watercooling radiator. But right after I reassembled it (read: I put the radiator and fans back) to put it back to use, the problems started to emerge. I heard a strange rattling sound and the pc would shut down shortly after being logged in. Apparently something got loose in the cooling block, got stuck near the pump, and the CPU started overheating rapidly because of it. I switched to the stock fan, but then my pc got stuck in a boot-loop. After some fiddling, this seemed to be circumvented if I took 1 of my memory sticks out of the slot. This meant that my pc would work, but only with 4GB memory instead of 8GB. I now purchased a new set of 2x8GB memory, but the exact same problem occurs: bootloop when both sticks are in place, normal when one is in place. My motherboard is dual-channel and I've confirmed with the manual that they are in the correct positions. It also doesn't matter in which channel I put the 1 remaining stick or which 2 dual-channel channels I put them both in, the results are the same.

Does this mean there's something wrong with my motherboard (in a way that can be explained even though I hardly even touched it while cleaning) or can someone think of something else that's going on? I'd hate to buy a spare of every component just to figure out which is the culprit.

2. fantaskarsef

fantaskarsef Ancient Guru

GPU:
    1080Ti @h2o
    To me personally that sounds like some damage did happen due to overheating maybe? I guess it can't be a weak RAM slot since you did proper RAM trial and error.

But honestly, I'd be as baffled as you... did you put new thermal paste on the CPU after switching to the air cooler?

3. JaxMacFL

JaxMacFL Maha Guru

GPU:
    Titan X (pascal)
    Try resetting your mb to default (factory settings) and start from there.

4. OmniShift

OmniShift Master Guru

GPU:
    ASUS GTX 770 DCU2 OC
    I've done some more trial and error testing and it seems the latter 2 slots (A2/B2) won't accept single modules either. I don't know if it's normal that dual-channel won't accept the second slots if the first ones are not occupied or whether this may help solve what's going on here.

@fantaskarsef: I did proper cleaning of the old thermal paste and applied new paste with the pea method as I always do, so that's not the problem. The CPU is at a nice 45C at 37% usage, so I doubt that's the cause. Also, the pc automatically shut down when it detected the CPU was getting too hot (I read 91C on HWMonitor before it did), so I don't think it has permanent damage.

@JaxMacFL: if you mean resetting the bios, I did by clearing the CMOS and by removing the battery for half an hour. I've updated my BIOS and mobo drivers now to the latest version, but the problem persists.

5. Vlooi

Vlooi Member

GPU:
    GTX 980ti
    I never use anything than blowing air through the case with a blower. Touching stuff with paper or anything else always risks static damage.

6. JaxMacFL

JaxMacFL Maha Guru

GPU:
    Titan X (pascal)
    Don't think it is cpu either. Strip mb and blow out everything with canned air. If problem still persist, try ram in another mb. You will know then. Good luck.

7. Extraordinary

Extraordinary Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GTX980 SLI
    This ^^ - Strip the machine down to individual components, clean and rebuild it

8. thatguy91

thatguy91 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    XFX RX 480 RS 4 GB
    I was going to say the same thing. Also, there are some things that just shouldn't be recycled :).

Get the compressed air and give you computer a good blow over the circuit area, unplug the computer from the wall, remove CMOS battery, remove RAM sticks, short the Clr CMOS pins for a few seconds and don't put the battery back in just yet. Let it sit for at least 12 hours, ideally do it in the evening, go to work or whatever the next day and reassemble in the evening, remembering to put the CMOS battery back in last. After that, start the computer. Note that you have cleared the CMOS, so any settings set will need to be reset. There will likely be a message coming up as such.

For now, leave everything as the default and boot into Windows, see how it fairs.

9. Passus

Passus Master Guru

GPU:
    MSI r9 280 (Baked)
    Sounds like something is shorting out, take everything out and build the machine on your desk or something and power it up to see if it works, try a really soft paint brush to take off any bits of toilet paper you might have got on it

10. angelgraves13

angelgraves13 Master Guru

GPU:
    eVGA 1080 Ti FTW3 Hybrid
    Get a can of Dust Off and clean it out proper. Make sure there's no toilet paper in the memory slots.

11. Subaru Swift

Subaru Swift Master Guru

GPU:
    1060 Asus 6gb STRIX OC
  12. kastriot

kastriot Master Guru

GPU:
    Z-AMP.extr-GTX980 1.5GHz
    You shouldn't clean it with paper but with air blower, compressor whatever i think maybe static has fucked up mobo but like the other said try resseting all from zero with minimal parts.