component video cables or hdmi cables to view hd?

Discussion in 'The HTPC, HDTV & Ultra High Definition section' started by GenerationGXX, Jun 28, 2006.

1. GenerationGXX

GenerationGXX Master Guru

GPU:
    EVGA 9800GTX SLI
    i have one of the new samsung model lcd hd tv.
    it has an hdmi cable at the back.

now my parents said i need a hd cable box from rogers
    i got 6 months subsciption free of hd viewing.

now they said they have to buy certain cable to be able to view hd quality

and my parents bought
    monster video 2, and its a component video cable.

i was wandering, should i return these cable and get monster hdmi cable instead?

are the qualities of both cables are similar or different?
    im planning to buy ps3, and i wanted to play using the hdmi cable to view in hd.

so what should i do?
    i got this $100 component video cable and wandering if i can get a hdmi instead. please help

2. dominant1

dominant1 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Evga Gtx1070 Superclocked
    component cables are suppose to give the best picture. its what i use on both of my onkyo systems....

3. GenerationGXX

GenerationGXX Master Guru

GPU:
    EVGA 9800GTX SLI
    wait components? isnt it hdmi?

4. HanShot1st

HanShot1st Maha Guru

GPU:
    2x 4870 512mb DDR5
    You own a digital display, give it a digital signal, no errors from digital to analog conversion will be introduced...

HDMI.

5. ujcdv

ujcdv Master Guru

GPU:
    EVGA 8800 Ultra
    HDMI is the best though It's hard to tell the difference between component and HDMI on DVD's

6. Toji

Toji Active Member

GPU:
    BFG 6800 GT 256MB
    Right now, ICT is not implemented. But one day it will. ICT will reduce the resolution on component and non HDCP enabled DVI ports. Basicaly meaning DVD resolution for these in puts. All HDMI ports supports HDCP. Thus HDMI will give full resolution when ICT is implemented to thwart HD piracy.

BTW, Monter Cables are way too expensive. You can get heavly sheilded and gold plated HDMI and Component cables for 1/3 of the cost.
    Monster plays on the fact that most people are clueless about choosing video cables. Basicaly they got pwnd. (used to work at a Radio Shack, the only reason why I would recomend Monster back then, was pretty good commmission for selling them.) Retailers make fortunes selling very cheap cables (It probably wholesales for $20) for 100 bucks.

7. HanShot1st

HanShot1st Maha Guru

GPU:
    2x 4870 512mb DDR5
    Source for this?

The way HDCP works is an on or off situation (to my knowledge). If the devices don't handshake, there is a black screen. AFAIK, HDCP isn't designed to downrez when it doesn't handshake over a non-HDCP DVI port, it simply won't output a signal. In other words, HDCP isn't a smart technology designed to do that. It's a simple yes or no situation, on or off.

You are correct about the component though, and ICT. Currently it looks like when ICT is implemented you are limited to 540p. Right now, you can get full rez over component with all HD-DVD and BluRay discs that have been released.

ICT is (will be?) on the discs, not the players.

edit: On second thought, maybe if you set up the device to output 480i/p or 540i/p perhaps the HDCP is disabled. I don't think so, but I am going to try this out with my current cable box (HDCP enabled) with my computer monitor (non-HDCP compliant). I already know that the cable box will not pass HDTV to my non-HDCP monitor via DVI. I'll set it up for 480i and see what happens.

2nd edit: Even set for 480i output, my cable box won't pass anything to a non-HDCP compliant display over DVI. I get a picture for about 3 seconds, then it blacks out. FYI, this is a Motorola DCT6400.

Last edited: Jun 28, 2006
  8. trapiLales

trapiLales Member Guru

GPU:
    Evga 7900Gt
    do yourself and your parents a favor and don't buy cables in stores. They are extremley overpriced.
    You can find HDMI cables for $10-$15 online, and component cables for even less.

9. GenClaymore

GenClaymore Ancient Guru

GPU:
    1080 FE +130/+430
    Who ever told you, need to do some research. the HDMI cables gives the best quailty.

10. ssbopper

ssbopper Master Guru

GPU:
    2x Gigabyte GTX 670 2GB
    i personally tried both component and hdmi with hdtv on my pioneer plasma and i didn't notice any difference at all.... so i guess it's whichever's cheaper really...