\\COMPNAME is not accessible. wtf?

Discussion in 'Network questions and troubleshooting' started by i3oj0, May 4, 2006.

1. i3oj0

i3oj0 New Member

GPU:
    nVidia Geforce Go 6600 128MB
    I did everything in that tutorial sticked at the top of the section. My setup is my desktop is wired through ethernet cable to a Linksys Wireless-G Broadband Router and my laptop is connected wirelessly. My desktop is able to access my laptop's share folder, but only through the Start -> Run -> \\LAPTOPNAME. I'm unable to see my laptop in the network places, but nonetheless I can still get to the files through the Start -> Run. My laptop on the otherhand is unable to access anything. It just gives me this error:

\\COMPNAME is not accessible. You might not have permission to use this network resource. Contact the administrator of this server to find out if you have access permissions.

The network path was not found.

Someone please help me out.

2. GKZ

GKZ Master Guru

GPU:
    XFX Radeon 4890 1GB
    The 'Network Places' area of Window uses the Microshaft Master Browser system. It ****ing SUCKS. I suggest making network drives (Start -> Run -> net use P: \\laptop\prawnshare )

For simplicity sake, use the same user and password on all of the machines and you'll have no problem then. If you still have problems and I'll help you with NTFS security and Sharing permissions.

3. grunger

grunger Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Palit GTX970 4GB
    See if you can do it by \\IP_ADDRESS_OF_PC
    if so check that both PCs are on the same workgroup

4. i3oj0

i3oj0 New Member

GPU:
    nVidia Geforce Go 6600 128MB
    On my laptop, I typed in net use \\DESKTOP\share and I got a "System error 67 has occurred."

Is that what I'm supposed to do? What do I type on my desktop if so?

And how do I know if it worked? I'm nub when it comes to networking and this kind of stuff.