Complete crossfire confusion

Discussion in 'Videocards - AMD Radeon' started by Libertad, Feb 7, 2011.

1. Libertad

Libertad Active Member

GPU:
    GTX580 SLi
    Hi guys,

After weeks of trying to get my HD5850 crossfire setup to work I'm pretty much at the end of my tether.

I've tried both cards just on their own and both work perfect, however when put in crossfire it slows games down tremendously.

Taking black ops as an example, using just the one card the frame rate is actually HIGHER than when both cards are used. I'm so frustrated I've taken both cards out and just using a GTX470SC for the time being.

I've tried things like turning on catalyst A.I. and I've monitored the cards in Afterburner. 3DMark vantage gives me a score of around 23000 for the GPU.

The way I have set it up is 2 cards into the PCIe slots, with one crossfire bridge (Does it require 2?) Then I have HDMI output from one of the graphics cards. Is there anything wrong with the hardware aspect of my setup? ie. incorrect plugging of things etc.

Any kind of help would be tremendously appreciated!

Last edited: Feb 7, 2011
  2. Sever

Sever Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Galaxy 3GB 660TI
    only one bridge is needed for 1920x1200 and below (per monitor in eyefinity). two bridges is recommended for higher res.

so youve tried cat ai on? crossfire on? running things in full screen?

in black ops, did you edit both config files to make sure that multigpu is set to 1 and multithread is set to 1 to enable multicore and multigpu support?

3. Enmity

Enmity Maha Guru

GPU:
    EVGA 1080ti FE SLI
    other than the points sever has made, have you also checked with gpuz to see what pcie speed both cards are running at? im not familiar with ur board but id imagine it should at least run 8x with x2 cards installed ~ but more than likely x16 would be expected with the x58 chipset to my knowledge. if its running at say x16 for the primary card but only x4 for the secondary (not likely) then this could cause the scaling issuez ur seeing.

other than blackops what other games are giving you negative scaling? are they up to date with patches etc?

also which drivers are you using? and with which cap? if any.

the only other thing that springs to mind from the hardwares point of view is that have you definitely got both cards running on seperate 12v rails with your antec psu? double checked that both 6pin connectors are secure? that rig should be pumping out the fps really. try these points n get back to us mate :)

4. ibitato

ibitato Ancient Guru

GPU:
    4870X2+4870 1GB on S T260
    if you had nVidia card previously, re-install windows

5. Libertad

Libertad Active Member

GPU:
    GTX580 SLi
    other than blackops what other games are giving you negative scaling? are they up to date with patches etc?

Pretty much any new release game, you name it NFS:HP, Mafia 2, Dead Rising 2, COD: MW2, COD: BO, even older games like fallout 3 etc.

also which drivers are you using? and with which cap? if any.

Using the latest catalyst drivers from AMD with catalyst profiles

the only other thing that springs to mind from the hardwares point of view is that have you definitely got both cards running on seperate 12v rails with your antec psu? double checked that both 6pin connectors are secure?

Both pin connectors are definitely secure otherwise would the cards even function or show up as crossfire?

I did a complete format, reinstalled all the drivers and still nothing.

Have tried cat ai with basic and advanced

I had really high expectations with this setup and so far it just falls flat on its face.

6. Beast

Beast Master Guru

GPU:
    -
    1) What's your CPU clock?

2) If it's at stock clocks OC it a bit.

3) Have you tried Catalyst 10.5? I recall it was the best in regards to Crossfire.

4) What resolution are you running?

I'm guessing if you're running at 1680x1050 or lower with your CPU at stock you won't notice much of a difference in performance especially on console ports.

If I'm wrong and you've tried absolutely everything then sell the HD 5850's and get a GTX 570.

7. AbjectBlitz

AbjectBlitz Ancient Guru

GPU:
    R390 1200/1720
    Run Afterburner in the background and run Vantage, do you see 100% usage on both GPU cores? If it is 50% 50% CF is not working.

8. Trexian

Trexian Member

GPU:
    Dual XFX HD6870 crossfire
    AbjectB, I have just tried this and during the vantage test, afterburner shows both GPU's hovering from 50% to 99% it never stays up at 99% it always moves up and down.

Is this normal behavior?

9. Detection

Detection Banned

GPU:
    2 x 6850 - CrossFireX
    Got the cards in the correct PCI-E slots ?

I know on my board I have 4 slots, but for CrossFireX there are 2 Slots I need to use together, and not the other 2

10. Trexian

Trexian Member

GPU:
    Dual XFX HD6870 crossfire
    Don't know if you meant that for me Detect, but yes i also have 4 slots 2 are x16 and 2 are x8. I have them both in the x16 slots

11. Snoodles

Snoodles Active Member

GPU:
    Vapor-X HD5770 1GB X-fire
    Other people have had problems with bad crossfire bridges causing performance issues. Can you swap out the bridge you have for another to test?