1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Compatibility flags utility

Discussion in 'Operating Systems' started by mbk1969, Nov 3, 2017.

1. mbk1969

mbk1969 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GeForce GTX 1070
    Btw, Mass Effect 3 is listed by MS as a game supported by Game Bar (in link you provided) so may be it is DX10. Just a note.

2. dr_rus

dr_rus Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RTX 2080 OC
    Nah, it's D3D9. Maybe it does something non-standard or maybe it's just MS PR.

3. Alessio1989

Alessio1989 Maha Guru

GPU:
    3) Correct, at least if we speak about the public RTM (simply I do not remember when those changes on the presentation mode where made in the private previews of the DX12 SDK... But it didn't come in one release only)
    1)2)4) There is no emulation at all since we are talking about a change in the API behaviour.
    1)The different between Direct3D 9.0Ex and previous version is the DXGI flip presentation mode available using in the "Ex" version since Windows 7 (and in Vista only a bltbit copy was required, and for all others previous version an additiona bltbit copy to the DWM buffer was also required). Other changes of the "Ex" version involves some WDDM capabilities like frame statistics.
    2)Every version of Direct3D stil has its own runtime, even very old version like Direct3D 7. Nothing is emulated by the OS.
    4)Virtually, those changes add DWM pre-emption on the presented buffer like the fullscreen-mode of D3D12, removing the extra bltbit copy required for non-FLIP swap effects (still talking about fullscreen mode). Virtually, it still not a borderless window, though most of the behaviours are the same which is why the final uses cannot distinguish them unless starts to debug the application (from the APIs point of view fullscreen state and borderless maximized window are still different).

The game bar is just a graphics user interface for a DVR, it does not interact with the DXGI behaviours. EVR applications which are effected by those bugs, still have the same issues with or without the game-bar enabled.

If you sill have some doubts, just verify yourself debugging those tons of simple sample applications which comes with the legacy DirectX SDK or the more recent samples available on official Microsoft github repos.

As for Mass effect: I do not have it installed on any of my machines, so I cannot directly verify. However, the game bar may work on some D3D9 application depending on swap mode used in the presentation. This is why it does not automatically works with every D3D9 application (not sure if Microsoft made a list of capable D3D9 applications or there is simply a check on the swap effect).

Last edited: Nov 7, 2017
  4. mbk1969

mbk1969 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GeForce GTX 1070
    akbaar likes this.

5. Susahamat

Susahamat Master Guru

GPU:
    GTX 980 Ti Poseidon
    thank you !!! this is great :)

6. Skinner

Skinner Master Guru

GPU:
    2x 2080Ti Sli
    Wow, if this is helping to disable FSO in games which wasn't possible it would be a great fix !
    Gonna check it out, thanx :)

7. Skinner

Skinner Master Guru

GPU:
    2x 2080Ti Sli
    To bad it does not work here. I mean, I still can't get exclusive fullscreen in several games. Like A Plague Tale Innocence. I run windows 1903. Is my windows build not supported yet, or is it simpley impossible for some games (engines) to disable FSO?

8. mbk1969

mbk1969 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GeForce GTX 1070
    Utility has no special support for different versions of Windows. It simply sets the compatibility flag for exe-file, just like user does through exe-file properties dialog.

It can be that Win10 1903 changed its approach to exclusive full screen. I still has no this version on my rigs. In Win10 1809 I see that flag works as intended, at least on games I play.

9. Skinner

Skinner Master Guru

GPU:
    2x 2080Ti Sli
    Ok clear, well, some games here seems impossible to disable FSO, I wish microsoft (re?)introduce a one way option to disable it globaly. Some games, Unity engine for example (Stranded Deep, The Valley, Dream Fall Chapters need full screen for optimal SLI perf. And I guess many more do.

10. mbk1969

mbk1969 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GeForce GTX 1070
    Have you tried to disable Gamebar/XBox stuff? There was a script at nvidia forums...

11. Skinner

Skinner Master Guru

GPU:
    2x 2080Ti Sli
    No, I thought that was not the issue, interesting, will take a look there :)

12. mbk1969

mbk1969 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GeForce GTX 1070
  13. Skinner

Skinner Master Guru

GPU:
    2x 2080Ti Sli
    Thanks!, will check that out :)

14. Skinner

Skinner Master Guru

GPU:
    2x 2080Ti Sli
  15. mbk1969

mbk1969 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GeForce GTX 1070
    Last edited: Jun 1, 2019

16. Skinner

Skinner Master Guru

GPU:
    2x 2080Ti Sli
    Yes, this:
    Set GameDVR_DXGIHonorFSEWindowsCompatible to 1
    I still need to set FSO disabled in the exe. Will test more games.