Company of Heroes

Discussion in 'Games, Gaming & Game-demos' started by Feninski, Feb 26, 2009.

1. Feninski

Feninski Master Guru

GPU:
    Sapphire HD 4870
    Hi all,

is there someone that can give me som tips? it seems i never heve enought man power and resources and when i do multiplayer match i can't make tanks or infantry fast enougth...is there something to build? other player have always tanks and heavy inatry...it takes to long to me to collect resources...any tactics to use?

thanks!

2. UnrealGaming

UnrealGaming Ancient Guru

GPU:
    -
  3. Black_ice_Spain

Black_ice_Spain Ancient Guru

GPU:
    5700XT
    download recorded games and try to copy them a little, just to begin.

coming from age of empires player :p, never played coh tho, but thats the main way to learn

4. zanofer

zanofer New Member

GPU:
    8800GTS 512 SLI
    Company of Heroes, being a fairly old game, has a high number of fairly competitive players. Like Unreal Gaming said, just look at those strategies, and you might want to practice against computers in skirmishes, or make sure you play people your level. The problem with Company of Heroes is that most of the times, the good players can't find games because there's not enough good players on, so they make noobier accounts to prey on beginners, so watch out for low levels with good stats. Also, make sure you go out and capture the resources, as if you don't, you'll get less, and they will get more, and try playing on saturdays and sundays, there's usually a lot more "easier" players.

5. ZeroAndOne

ZeroAndOne Master Guru

GPU:
    eVGA 6800GS AGP 256mb @ stock
    1. Regarding gaining resources, open up your strategic map and look at how much resource is given at each resource point. Some points worth more the other. (+5, +10 and etc.)

2. When you build the post over the resource point, the ones with the higher resource value should have priority for the building. It gives you more resources. For example if you have ammo point with +5 and oil point with +10, of course build the post over oil point will give you significantly more resource. (However, this also depends on your strategy. Airborne doesn't need much oil compared with armor)

3. Make sure you don't have the enemy disconnect your territory. Your territories have to be connected in order to receive resource. You can know that a territory is not giving you resource by watching out for the flashing territory on the map.

4. When your squad are being beaten, make sure you retreat them back to base for replenishment. Building a brand new squad cost much more than reinforcing them. Plus, reinforcing a squad does not change their experience which offer better combat effectiveness than a rookie squad.

5. Keep capturing enemy territory. This is very important! Don't ever stop capturing and recapturing resources points/strategic points. This is the only way to reduce your opponents' resource while boosting your own.

Hope these can help you started. Have fun!

6. Duke Nil

Duke Nil Maha Guru

GPU:
    GTX 1080
    What he said. Also, tied to #3, sometimes you will be able to cut off multiple resource points by capturing one of the enemy's points that's a little further into their territory, which is far preferable to capturing them one by one from their outside in.

Also I find in this game that it's fairly important to micro-manage units to some degree, as there is so much that each unit can do tactically, but it's also equally important to not get too caught up in one little squabble and leave the rest of your guys on autopilot. And always have artillery support!

7. Feninski

Feninski Master Guru

GPU:
    Sapphire HD 4870
    thanks for the tips guys!

the thing is that at the start i try to capture the maxmimum supply point the faster i can....but it seems that opponents can create powerfull infantry or vheicles more faster than me...so they can defent supply point better...i i have nay chance to recaputre it. I have to wait long to have enougth resources to build some heavy tank...

just a question: what's the upkeep points and how you affect them?

thanks!

8. V4.SKUNK

V4.SKUNK Master Guru

GPU:
    XFX 8800GTS 640 (G80)
    You should also use different tactics depending what faction you choose. US have really powerful infantry and really strong early game, Wermacht have strong armour with a strong late game, British are defense orientated with some poweful Anti infantry and Anti tank, infantry move very slow. Panzer Elite are very mobile and have powerful infabtry "blobs", PE armour is also very good, but can be ambushed easily due to their un-conventional tanks.

The best way to get good is to play some 2v2's against real players, sure you'll get raped at first, but you will learn much faster.
    Download some top player replays as well, you can learn much from the pros.

9. Psytek

Psytek Ancient Guru

GPU:
    2x 260 GTX 216 SLI
    Yeah, generally there aren't any strategies that apply to all factions.
    With the addition of PE and UK its even harder to generalise.
    As with any RTS I like to pick one faction and learn it inside out.
    In CoH I usually go with UK on allied and Wehrmacht on Axis.

I think the main thing to remember is to be aggressive in your attempts to capture territory. Don't be satisfied with having the same amount of territory as your enemy, you need to actively try to capture their points at the start and capture the points in between with subsequent units.

10. gamerk2

gamerk2 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    NVIDIA 570 GTX 1.2 GB
    Barb wire = annoying
    Machine Gunners = annoying

Barb wire + Machien Gunners = Deadly

Also, use halftracks to re-inforce infintry, not enough people do this. It works really well with Ranger squads too...

The AA Panzer for the germans (the one that starts with O) is the best defense against any infintry assault. 6 Ranger groups? No biggie (provided you shoot first...).

2 Panzers > 1 Panther

A Tank Destroyer is just as good as a Sherman, minus the front Machine Gun. Build a lot of these is fuel is short.

Control the fuel, and the enemy can't build heavy weapons. Take points one by one from this point one.

EDIT

Use abilities to their fullest. Raid + Armor Car rush (Tank commander for Allies) is a deadly early combo. Ranger rushes also work, as 2 rangers can lock down a base till a quad halftrack arrives to deal with infintrty.

Bomb where the enemy is going to run to, not where they are (important with V1).

I can give more tips if needed.

Last edited: Feb 27, 2009

11. masterchiefx2

masterchiefx2 Banned

GPU:
    GTX 280 Sli
    I got stuck on the mission where you get tanks with mine sweepers... only tried once too lazy to give it another go great game though...

12. Smart

Smart Member Guru

GPU:
    Visiontek / 4870 / 512 MB
    the game doesn't have even slightly the same mechanics, as a professional RTS gamer i felt quite held back by COH, where as something like AOE2/AOE3 was not as limiting.

for COH, just play with decent people and don't play with a lot of low rank players, because you can't learn in the game just by playing it (regardless of person), you need to play with people above your rank, and when you lose, it's fine, because the general person on that game is copying GR strategies and does not invent anything themself... making for a quite noobish community.

13. Feninski

Feninski Master Guru

GPU:
    Sapphire HD 4870
    ok i tried some differents tactics and they somewhat worked:

instead of focusing on capturing point and then wait for resources i try alwyas to attack even if squad are small and to keep them mobile. If i don't have much firepower i use buildings.Weapons upgrades for riflemans are a must. And using cover really help a lot. But i have a sorte of lack in anty tank weapons for infantry...any idea?

Last edited: Feb 28, 2009