Company of Heroes - Game Performance

Discussion in 'Videocards - NVIDIA GeForce Drivers Section' started by oclaudiu, Aug 19, 2007.

1. oclaudiu

oclaudiu Member

GPU:
    BFG 8800 OC
    Hello. I've tested the game on the following system:
    Core Duo 6420, 2 GB DDRAM and 8800 GTS OC 320 M.
    I've tested the game on a 1280x1024 resolution Directx 9 textures, all details HIGH and the results was:
    Average : 100 Fps
    Maximum : 200 FPS
    Minimum : 1.7 FPS

In a 1280x1024 resolutions, but in Directx 10 textures, I've obtained the following results:
    Maximum 90 FPS
    Average : 41 FPS
    Minimum: 16.8 FPS.
    Are these values good ?

I've tested the game twice and Minimum FPS was always 1.7 - 1.8 FPS in Directx 9 textures. Is it normal ? Operating system is Windows Vista Business 64 with 162.22 drivers.

2. Ryan Williams

Ryan Williams Master Guru

GPU:
    ATI Radeon 4870 1GB
    Of course they're good.

If your average fps is 100, that means you're getting somewhere in the region of 100 fps for the majority of the time. Anything above 60 is enough to be considered beautifully smooth in my opinion on an LCD, and anything above 30 is still pretty fine. The minimum might only have been hit for half a second.

Company of Heroes does seem to have a problem with disproportionate slowdown when you go into the full camera movement view (and consequently also the cutscenes), where no matter what the hardware is it seems to go a bit jerky. Actual gameplay should be fine as this view is generally only seen in cutscenes.

If it helps, on my hardware I get a minimum FPS of about 20. Since the hardware is of a higher level, this is probably to be expected.

By the way, using DirectX 10 in Company of Heroes is not recommended by pretty much everybody. They did a poor job of implementing it (or perhaps it's the drivers' fault), and if you actually compare you'll see that there is actually no perceptible difference between the two; Bit-Tech did an article about it with comparison shots a while ago.

3. Frohman0905

Frohman0905 Master Guru

GPU:
    GTX680 2GB OC @ 1202/7000
    I've heard that coh opposing fronts will be more optimized for dx10. Can't wait till it's out!

4. oclaudiu

oclaudiu Member

GPU:
    BFG 8800 OC
    Thanks' for reply Ryan Williams. But, in Directx 10 the performance in games should be better on DX 10 video cards than DX 9. In the future, Nvidia will fix it in the newest drivers ?