Comp stuttering

Discussion in 'General Hardware' started by youngestlinton, Jun 25, 2009.

1. youngestlinton

youngestlinton Member

GPU:
    GTX295
    Hi Guru3D.

First off, thank you to anyone who reads the following and tries to help. I'm a regular reader of the site and love it. I'd probably get more involved in the community, but if I spend too long reading / looking at hardware my money disappears :thumbdown

I have a problem I just can't seem to shake. After an hour or two, my computer starts to stutter. But not consistently. For example, I can play music. Or download stuff. Or play a game. But whenh I try to do multiple things at once, it stutters. For example, if I play music and change a web page, it stutters (the music). The mouse goes all slow and jerky.

I've got a feeling that it could be the hard drive, as I can play CoD4 while it's acting like this but the minute I start downloading something things begin to stutter.

I suppose it could be a software problem, but I've had nearly all the software on my PC for months, and as I said it's fine for the first few hours.

Any thoughts?

Thank you very much :)

2. Lain

Lain Master Guru

GPU:
    HD5970 @ 950/1200MHz
    what happens if you run your machine on stock settings?

3. youngestlinton

youngestlinton Member

GPU:
    GTX295
    Hmmm, a good idea. My CPU temps are ok though and been running on 3.2Ghz for a good month now ok.

Will give it a try and get back to you.

4. inklimited

inklimited Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Gigabyte 6850 900MHz
    I was thinking temperature, but you're a clocker, so I guess you keep your rig spotless.

Possibly a background program? Have you checked task manager for apps using CPU?

5. Juicy8504

Juicy8504 Member Guru

GPU:
    HD4870 (RIP 8800GTX)
    I had the same issue with an old 3800 X2 that I had. Overclocked it to about 2.8 for almost 6 months. Then it started acting all funny. Return it to stock and it was all fine. Maybe your CPU is starting to reach "end of life" or the circuitry is starting to wear

6. youngestlinton

youngestlinton Member

GPU:
    GTX295
    I've put it back down to 2.4Ghz.

It would actually make a lot of sense. Because my PC would idle at 2.4Ghz before and everything ran fine, it was only when something was happening and it knocked itself up to 3.2 that the stuttering occurred.

Anyway, it's the waiting game for now.

Does this mean I need a new CPU soon (assuming it is the problem) or can I just run at stock for the foreseeable future? I wouldn't mind getting a shiny Q9550 to be quite honest.

7. Lain

Lain Master Guru

GPU:
    HD5970 @ 950/1200MHz
    stock will be fine for the next 10 years :)

8. youngestlinton

youngestlinton Member

GPU:
    GTX295
    Still stuttering now @ 2.4Ghz :(

So unless it's something else, looks like I'll need that new CPU.

9. bp9801

bp9801 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    BFG 8800 GTX
    I don't think its the CPU persay.. but it could possibly be an internet issue or like its been said, a background program eating up resources. Open up task manager and see if any programs are using up too much RAM or CPU or both, and if so, then close that program. If its not something needed, I'd make sure it doesn't run on startup either.

10. Lain

Lain Master Guru

GPU:
    HD5970 @ 950/1200MHz
    Changing the CPU just because a stutter is not a good idea, be sure what (if) hardware is at fault before you replace it.

11. Juicy8504

Juicy8504 Member Guru

GPU:
    HD4870 (RIP 8800GTX)
    Have you looked at your voltages? A PSU with a dying 12v line will do that too. An 8800GTX is VERY power hungry.

Another thing, seem if it does it on very low settings. If it doesn't, then try it with high again but with no AA. I've had an issue with my 4870 when i upgraded that if i used any AA, I'd drop to like 20fps. Damn nVidia driver were still in there. Try uninstall all the drivers, used the nVidia driver cleaner and reinstall.

12. opozoid25

opozoid25 Member Guru

GPU:
    2x BFG GTX 285 OC SLI
    I have a couple of ideas for you.

(1) Are you running nvidia drivers 185.x or 186.x? If so, for the heck of it, uninstall those, run driver sweeper, and install 182.50 WHQL. I recently ran into a similar problem and it seems the newer drivers were the culprit. Also, try reinstalling both video and sound card drivers.

(2) It could be that a recent update to one of your programs in unstable. The most likely cause would be something like your antivirus or other malware programs.

Stuttering is almost certainly NOT your CPU, unless you fail the prime95 test. Test your PC using memtest86+ (DOS version) and prime95 (at least 8 hours of blend on both cores).

Last edited: Jun 28, 2009
  13. sykozis

sykozis Ancient Guru

GPU:
    MSI RX5700
    He can save himself 8hrs by running IBT on high stress level for 5-10 passes. If he manages to fail that...he's still good on Prime95 for a 12hr pass. I've done this personally...lol. Also, stuttering CAN be caused by pending CPU failure, weak PSU, pending memory failure, pending chipset failure, pending harddrive failure, etc. In VERY rare cases...can even be caused by a failing Creative sound card. Anyone willing to say "stuttering is almost certainly NOT your CPU, unless you fail the prime95 test" has probably never seen the afforementioned conditions and their symptoms. Prime95 is not the "end all, be all" testing app that people in these forums seem to think it is. I've seen countless systems pass ALL settings in Prime95 without being stable. Sames goes for IBT. My system has passed both...and I still don't consider it stable because it does exactly what the OP is experiencing. My problem disappears at stock clocks though.

14. youngestlinton

youngestlinton Member

GPU:
    GTX295
    Well, I couldn't stand it any longer and bought a Q9550.

It wasn't internet as I wasn't using it everytime and disabling it didn't help, it wasn't a background process / program using CPU / RAM (I checked that first) it wasn't MB cos that failed a month ago, I just got new memory and a new HD recently and I could play games while it was acting like this perfectly fine, as long as I didn't try and do anything else at the same time. I therefore came to the conclusion, it did it when two cores / threads were in use.

Anyway, I got the Q9550 for cheap on ebay and I've been using it two days now without any problems.

Thank you VERY much to all of you who gave your help, advice etc.

You Guru3D guys are definitely a great crowd.

15. Crow

Crow Member

GPU:
    MSI Radeon HD 4850
    Woah, this just started happening to me. I think from last night, but I didn't notice since I was listening to some breakbeat music.

Problem is, I'm on a Dual core CPU... Mobo's the same, but mine is P43... Help?

16. UZ7

UZ7 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    ASUS STRIX RTX2080S
    Download PC Wizard 2008:
    http://www.cpuid.com/pcwizard.php

Run it and click on Voltage, Temperature and Fans:

Select All, Copy, Paste it here...

Example:
    Code:
    Hardware Monitoring :	ITE IT8718F
    Voltage CPU :	1.15 V
    +3.3V Voltage :	3.22 V
    +5V Voltage :	4.93 V
    +12V Voltage :	12.27 V
    VTT :	1.10 V
    VBAT :	3.33 V
    Processor Fan :	2667 rpm
    Chassis Fan :	10 rpm
    Power/Aux Fan :	1480 rpm
    Processor Temperature :	37 °C
    Mainboard Temperature :	34 °C
    Power/Aux Temperature :	42 °C
    ACPI Thermal Zone :	37 °C
     :	
    Processor :	Thermal Diode
    Intel Core 2 Duo (Core 1) :	40 °C
    Intel Core 2 Duo (Core 2) :	40 °C
     :	
    NVIDIA GeForce 9800 GT  :	nVidia Driver
    GPU Temperature :	50 °C
    GPU Fan :	35%
     :	
    Hard Disk Monitoring :	S.M.A.R.T
    Hard Disk ST3320620AS         :	38 °C
    Hard Disk Maxtor 7L300S0 :	35 °C

17. ShadowMyth

ShadowMyth Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GByte GTX 980 G1 Windforc
    Had a similar problem on an old rig & it was the hard drive. Run chkdsk & check the S.M.A.R.T. disk status.

18. Pill Monster

Pill Monster Banned

GPU:
    7950 Vapor-X 1100/1500
  19. Crow

Crow Member

GPU:
    MSI Radeon HD 4850
    Uhh... Could it be the fact that I'm dual booting with Linux...? Whenever it tries to do a disk check it just hangs anyways...

S.M.A.R.T. Analysis:
    Raw Read Error Rate 200 0 Good
    3 Spin Up Time 134 4275 Normal
    10 Start/Stop Count 100 107 Very good
    4 Reallocated Sector Count 200 0 Good
    8 Seek Error Rate 200 0 Very good
    10 Power On Hours Count 100 427 Very good
    10 Spin Retry Count 100 0 Very good
    10 Calibration Retry Count 100 0 Very good
    10 Power Cycle Count 100 104 Very good
    8 Power Off Retract Count 200 54 Very good
    8 Load Cycle Count 200 107 Very good
    8 Reallocated Event Count 200 0 Very good
    8 Current Pending Sector 200 0 Very good
    8 Offline Uncorrectable Sector Count 200 0 Very good
    8 Ultra DMA CRC Error Rate 200 0 Very good
    8 Write Error Rate 200 0 Very good

Last edited: Jul 3, 2009
  20. Pill Monster

Pill Monster Banned

GPU:
    7950 Vapor-X 1100/1500
    Hanging how? btw is your memory overclocked?

Last edited: Jul 3, 2009