Comp shutdown itself after driver update!

Discussion in 'Videocards - NVIDIA GeForce Drivers Section' started by Killdead, Aug 2, 2004.

1. Killdead

Killdead Guest

Random shutdown after driver update!

Hi my comp is having a very weird problem after installing the new forceware driver and I really need you guys' help.
    I got a GF4 Ti4200 AGP 8x (1 year old), after installation it ran fine in Far Cry. I shutdown normally and ran to sleep, the next morning when I use it it will just randomly shut itself down; sumtimes 3 seconds, sumtimes an hour, no error messages at all, it will just shutdown -- turned itself on again and shutdown. I have to flip the PSU switch to get it to stop. This is the only problem my comp ever had when I got it a year ago. It's all too sudden.

My Drivers Installation Steps -
    1. Uninstalled the old driver from Add/Remove Prog
    2. Boot into safe mode and ran a cleanup with Drivers Cleaner3
    3. Unplugged my internet cable
    4. Reboot back to normal and installed the new driver

Things I've done to try fixing it but doesn't work -
    - Downgraded back to the old driver
    - Repaired Windows
    - Changed Power Supply Unit
    - Tested the video card on another comp with the new drivers installed... work fine
    - Checked all the cables, fans and sockets

Old Driver - Official Forceware 56.64
    New Driver - Official Forceware 61.76

System Spec -
    PSU - 350W Power Supply Unit (Changed to a 480W yesterday but didn't help)
    CPU - Athlon XP 2500+ Barton
    RAM - DDR 400MHZ 512MB RAM
    Mobo - MSI K7N2 Delta/Dual Channel 400/AGP 8x
    GFX Card - Geforce 4 Ti4200 AGP 8x
    Sound Card - Sound Blaster Audigy 2

Win XP Pro
    Norton Anti Virus 2004
    Norton Internet Security 2004 Pro

*Latest drivers and updates*

PC Temperatures -
    CPU - 55C
    Mobo - 45C

You guys are my hope lol plz help THX!

Last edited by a moderator: Aug 2, 2004
  2. Syx005

Syx005 Member

GPU:
    Sapphire HD5850
    Well, one thing you can try is updating your bios. BEWARE though, if your computer randomly shuts down while you're doing the update, you'll toast your board.....

Never know, could help.:paranoid:

3. Killdead

Killdead Guest

thx for the reply but all my drivers are up to dated :( right now i m trying to check my video card's temperature is there a software that can do that?

4. Syx005

Syx005 Member

GPU:
    Sapphire HD5850
    Well yes there is, as long as your card has a temperature sensor on it, then a program like motherboard monitor will be able to pick it up and display the temp. I use it to monitor my cpu and case temp, but my graphics card does not have a sensor on it, so i'm unable to view it's temp. Most lower end cards don't have this feature.

5. Trelawney

Trelawney Active Member

GPU:
    GeForce 5900 Ultra 256Mb
    Some other suggestions to check:-

Any dodgy cables / power sockets or switches causing a soft fuse trip?

Is the case metal? If so i've seen motherboards not seated correctly touch the case (though this would normally mean you would't even be able to power on at all).

Is the (BIOS) thermal shutdown set incorrectly or exceeded?

Are all fans working and the heatsinks properly seated?

Do you think it is the Gfx card causing this and not the CPU? It 'may' just be coincidence that you changed drivers at the time the problem first appeared.

BIOS and mobo utilities normally show you thermal settings, and nVidia drivers show temperature if your card has a sensor on board.

Do you have an old gfx card you can swap in to test your theory?

6. Killdead

Killdead Guest

Yep, all the cables and sockets are organized and seated at the right places (the cables are nice, they re rounded :)). The bios should be fine too since everythin was config months ago and it doesnt have anythin that can are set to trigger an auto shutdown.

I like ur thinkin here, I suspect that we have found the culprit; I opened the case and use the comp as usual, and every now and then I would put my fingers on the video card to check its temperature. After awhile of using the card would fire up (not enough to scorch my hand but I'd say it's pretty damn close, sum what like holding a cup of hot coffee with a towel in between, is it usual for a temperature like this?) at that moment on... my comp will shutdown. To further confirm it, not until the video card cool off a bit, the comp will stay shutdown even if I press the 'ON' button.

Still, I cant believe that one driver will cause so much trouble though; some ppl on this forum said that this new 61.76 driver will up the card temperatures a bit (heh a bit that it will burn my card, it's a 'XFX' branded btw got it from FutureShop.ca last year)

Even after reinstalling the old 56.64 driver it still doesnt work, the card would still heat up (the comp work like a charm b4 I installed the new driver)...why (I really dont want to underclock it :()

Thx for the suggestions plz keep them coming!!

Last edited by a moderator: Aug 2, 2004
  7. Lí§§ârÐ

Lí§§ârÐ Guest

if the card is so hot maby the gpu hsf is a bit loose?

8. Trelawney

Trelawney Active Member

GPU:
    GeForce 5900 Ultra 256Mb
    I'm starting to wonder if you may have a temperature damaged (cooked) gfx card, from what you are saying.

Let's do this the laboratory way. Change one item at a time and record the results and continue....

The one thing i'd personally do is take out the gfx card and replace it with an old one etc.

If the PC works fine after this (and it really shouldnt be the drivers unless you had been high Overclocking), then it may be time to dig out the Warranty card, and get the scorch marks off the GPU before sending back ;)

9. Killdead

Killdead Guest

I didnt do any overclocking, the computer just started to shutdown itself when i woke up after installing the new driver. I dont have another gfx card to test but I wanna ask if it's the change in voltages after the update that causes my card to overheat (everything work fine the other night) if so how can I check and how can I change it (any other gfx related voltages other than the AGP) Thx Again.

10. Trelawney

Trelawney Active Member

GPU:
    GeForce 5900 Ultra 256Mb
    If the graphics card doesn't have heat and voltage sensors on it, then it won't show under nVidia properties.

Not having another gfx card to compare makes this harder (even if you just borrow one to test).

Failing that - have you tried booting into SAFE MODE to see if there is any difference in behaviour (just in case it something else).

Also - I posted on another thread (called "Sidebanding") the correct steps for removing and re-installing drivers which helped that person out.

Try these steps also and see if there is any progress.

(nVidia properties will show temperature (and clock speeds if you use Coolbits). I'm not sure about Voltages though.

Also a way to soak test might be to run DXDIAG.EXE and run the tests continually (or use 3rd party shareware soak tester). This can often highlight any instabilities.

Its always possible you have failing memory or even another motherboard component failing, and these can be frustrating to troubleshoot when it's intermittent.

Hope these ideas help.

11. Killdead

Killdead Guest

oooo I just underclocked my card as much as I could to test things out and it hasnt shutdown for the entire night so Im guessing it's an overheating problem. But Im still bother with the fact that caused this to happen with the driver update, and reinstalling the older drivers doesnt help either. Is there a way that I can apply more voltages to the gpu fan to increase its rpm?

Last edited by a moderator: Aug 4, 2004
  12. coldfirenj

coldfirenj Member

GPU:
    BFG FX 5950
    Hey man, I am having the exact same problem as you. I will let you know if I get a fix..

13. Syx005

Syx005 Member

GPU:
    Sapphire HD5850
    hold on there a second bro.... as far as i know (i'm no tech) you have to increase the volts to the whole card to do that.... and with an overheating problem, i wouldn't reccomend it. I'm not even sure if upping the voltage would increase fan speed.

There IS technically a way to change the voltage to your vid card, and that option is in your mobo bios (assuming your bios actually has that option... mine does).

if anything has to do with voltage, i'd say it's too high, but i doubt that's the problem.... i'll keep thinking and look around a bit. I'll post if i have any more ideas.

14. Flook1

Flook1 Guest

I had the same problem, after 61.77 and dx9.0c installation, my pc rebooting randomly even with no programs running. In event log the error was " computer rebooted from a bugcheck " or smth like that. I had to format my hd & installed 56.72.No problem since then (fingers crossed).