Common denaminator for nVidia and ATI?

Discussion in 'Videocards - AMD Radeon' started by Krout, Aug 16, 2009.

1. Krout

Krout Member

GPU:
    GeForce GTX 275
    Hi,
    I am trying to decide which card to go with, nVidia GTX 200 or ATI HD 4000 series. They all list their specs but in very different terminology. Is there some translation to how those terms correspond to each other?
    They all end up doing the same thing at the end: render the same image on a screen. They must have the same characteristics. How do we (users who pay money for the product) know how to compare those two. Am I only the one who can't figure it out?
    Thank you
    KH

2. Camster

Camster Member Guru

GPU:
    Sapphire HD 4890 OC
    It is hard to compare specs I agree unless you really are up on the tech IMHO. With that said look at some benchmarks & get opinions from people that have them. My 4890 is a very nice card & I got it for a good price. But certainly a GTX 260 or better a 275 are wonderful cards in their price range.

In your case coming from a 8600 GT to the current cards will be a huge upgrade. When you study the cards make sure it doesn't have a 128 bit bus like you have now although none of the 200 series do anyways. I think the lower end ATI's do though.

I would say GTX 260 ~ ATI 4870
    Gtx 275 ~ ATI 4890 if this helps.

3. Krout

Krout Member

GPU:
    GeForce GTX 275
    It sure does help. Just to know that I'm not the only one who thinks it 's hard to compare the specs..
    Thank you for the advise to look at the benchmarks, I think it's a good idea.
    KH

4. sykozis

sykozis Ancient Guru

GPU:
    MSI RX5700
    You really can't compare the specs these days as the architecture used by the 2 manufacturers is completely different from each other. You can however, compare the performance of the 2 cards...which is where review sites such as this come in handy. Games tend to favor 1 manufacturer or the other....so, it's easier to compare the performance of the cards based on the games you play. It's always better to choose the card which performs best in the games you place the most frequently.

5. Camster

Camster Member Guru

GPU:
    Sapphire HD 4890 OC
    Yeah the 2 big guys go about the same end task in very different ways. Nvidia curently has a wider memory bus (448 or 512 bit) while ATI only use a 256 bit bus. But...... ATI is using GDDR5 memory that is much faster than the GDDR3 Nvidia is using resulting in very similar overall bandwidth.

However, the end result is they are both very capable approaches that yield very similar end user performance. In other words you can't go wrong with either one as long as you select a card in the performance range that you require.

I would let price be your guide too. There are some really good deals to be had if you shop around. I went ATI 4890 for several reasons.

1. I was curious to try out their cards again.

2. I got a really good deal on it.

3. My case is a little small & the 10.5" long GTX 260 was going to be a bugger to fit in without moving my HD cage. The 9.5" 4890 fit no problem.

6. sykozis

sykozis Ancient Guru

GPU:
    MSI RX5700
    My GTX275 is a bit of a tighter fit for my Antec P180 case than I hoped it'd be. Love my HD4850 and my GTX275. If you want to build a media center, nVidia is a very poor option unless you're looking at Auzentech sound cards or plan to use your onboard audio. ATI has a rather decent onboard audio chip though that works very well for a media center using an HDMI output. For me, the onboard audio chip is a major factor because I use a TV and the HDMI output and require the sound to pass through the HDMI cable to the TV.