Commodore Brand Makes a Return on Smartphones

Discussion in 'Frontpage news' started by Hilbert Hagedoorn, Jul 15, 2015.

1. ---TK---

---TK--- Guest

GPU:
    2x 980Ti Gaming 1430/7296
    Too bad that bulky cassette player and floppy drive with that phone would of been epic.

2. Enticles

Enticles Guest

GPU:
    Asus RTX 3070ti
    oh my god, defender of the crown, treasure island dizzy, bubble bobble, and barbarian... those were the days.

if i recal correctly barbarian was BRUTAL for the time, no other game let you decapitate your opponents before (and for quite a while after).

does anyone else remember IK+ (international karate plus)?

3. typeAlpha

typeAlpha Guest

GPU:
    ATi 7850 2GB
    Had that on the A500. Used to love that game and those bonus rounds where you had to deflect balls :D

I remember thinking the sounds were awfully familiar to some I'd heard in a film, possibly enter the dragon, especially the noise they made when they were punched in the groin. Might just be me though.

4. Fox2232

Fox2232 Guest

GPU:
    6900XT+AW@240Hz
    On C64 you had spears and stars thrown at you from sides to evade.
    And about brutality. Do you remember Death Wish 3? I loved those movies and Playing Charles Bronson...

Last edited: Jul 16, 2015

5. Veteran

Veteran Ancient Guru

GPU:
    2xTitan XM@1590Mhz-CH20
    The Atari only had a small margin of games that the c64 had, it wasn't even close. That is what let the 400\800 down. It was different with the 520 st asthe tables were reversed. However the Amiga caught up and overtook it. Such amazing machines the c64 and Amiga 500 were. No wonder I dont play as many games today as I did back then. Innovation and originality is lacking somewhat nowadays even with all the graphical prowess.

6. 0blivious

0blivious Ancient Guru

GPU:
    7800 XT / 5700 XT
    I think what truly let the Atari down was too many different units. Some had 8K memory (the original 1979 unit) while later units had 64K (1982). This made programming for them more of a challenge which is a big reason why the library was smaller.

These days, I feel that too many games depend on graphics in lieu of actual gameplay. Back in the 80s, if a game sucked, there was no hiding it behind pretty visuals. Games had to be fun then and they were.

...and 8-bit gaming music still can't be beat.

7. Veteran

Veteran Ancient Guru

GPU:
    2xTitan XM@1590Mhz-CH20
    Yeah the music games in today is dire, has no charisma and does not stay in your head at all. Many 8 bit games music has been stuck in my head for 30 years as if I heard it yesterday. I cant say that for any modern day title today on any format.

Sanxion, delta, last ninja, uridium, glider rider I would be here all day listing them. Even poor games some of them had really catchy tunes. Games may age but music does not. Its like a bottle of wine "it matures with age".

As for international karate on the c64 the spears were on here as well as headbutting and breaking slabs in the bonus round. The sample punch to the groin and were the body fell to the floor was sampled from Bruce lee 1973 enter the dragon. There were 2 samples which were also used in the 16bit Amiga game full contact however only 1 sample was used from what I can remember as well as bloodsport kata by jean Claude van damme.

International karate plus was the sequel to international karate and featured bouncing balls on the bonus round while deflecting with a shield. Personally I preferred the first game because it was knockdown karate and had better moves I thought. All completely off the top of my head lol.

Last edited: Jul 16, 2015
  8. mitzi76

mitzi76 Guest

GPU:
    MSI 970 (Gaming)
    Still got my amiga (needs a new dd or hd cant remember so would cost a lot to fix i imagine). And still have the games!

Yeah will need a new phone in the next yr so you never know.

p.s actually played on a zx spectrum first...(well bbc micro). The good ol days hehe.

9. Mannerheim

Mannerheim Ancient Guru

GPU:
    MSI 6800XT
    Its commodore, but its not commodore. Playing amiga games without mouse or tac-2 is just impossible.. Tested with old nokia prone and emulator.

10. seaplane pilot

seaplane pilot Guest

GPU:
    2080Ti Strix
    You folks do know this is not a real device, lulz!

11. Barry J

Barry J Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RTX2080 TRIO Super
    I want to be a C64 fanboy I loved it