Comcast limits 250GB a month lol whoops

Discussion in 'Network questions and troubleshooting' started by Rotary8, Jul 18, 2010.

1. Rotary8

Rotary8 Master Guru

GPU:
    SLI 680
    yep i finally past there 250gb this month and 14 days to go. im waiting for the "CSA" to call me. i really forgot all about it when i just built my pc and reinstalled all my steam games. they say if you go over you get cut off for a year with them
    [​IMG]

2. Labyrinth

Labyrinth Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Tri-X R9 290 4G
    Cut you off for a year? thats quite over the top for something silly like that...

cant you change to a different provider? my steam games are about 400GB to download plus about 20GB from direct2drive its ironic though how these so called ISPs ignore the digital distribution aspect

3. ShadowMyth

ShadowMyth Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GByte GTX 980 G1 Windforc
    Yeah ditch Comcast, don't pay a company to screw you over unless it's your only choice. I just can't support a company like them. If you have Fios in your area I highly recommend it.

Last edited: Jul 18, 2010
  4. Trolle

Trolle Guest

GPU:
    Gigabyte RTX3070
    here they just put you on smallband till ur facturationdate of that month is done.
    but cutting you off for a month wtf?

5. Dustpuppy

Dustpuppy Ancient Guru

GPU:
    integrated - fffffffuuuuu
    This is why I use DSL. I typically get 500KB/s - 600KB/s downstream (4Mbps/5Mbps) and no download caps. I don't see a need for more speed than that atm. Granted I'd have to download for 5 days to hit a 250GB limit . The last time I downloaded anything for that long was when I lost my Everquest CD and had to dl the entire game on a 28.8k modem.

But if you think that stuff is bad, out on their farm my folks have 'hughesnet'. If you download more than 375MB in 24 hours they shut you off for 24 hours and that's on a $80 a month plan. Their $60 a month plan only permits 200MB in 24 hours.

6. hawkeyefan

hawkeyefan Maha Guru

GPU:
    8800GT @ 787/1944/2244
    Yep. I get upwards of 2100Kbps on my 20Mbit ADSL connection through Qwest, which has no cap. Even have interleave turned off because I'm close enough to the DSLAM, so with FastPath I get a 4-5ms first hop, faster than most cable connections. Data rates never vary and don't depend on my neighbors (individual pipe vs. shared neighborhood pipe).

I <3 Qwest.

7. Nbz

Nbz Master Guru

GPU:
    Sapphire HD6850 1000/1150
    What, thats silly!

Even more silly is the fact that some companies still put Download limits on high end Internet connections! :3eyes:

8. fischju

fischju Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Visiontek Radeon HD 4850
    They will usually only make angry noises at you if they find all your bandwidth usage caused a detrimental effect to other nearby Comcast users. Don't want to hog all the bandwidth, eh?

But really the ISPs should stop that **** and upgrade their infrastructures.

9. Rotary8

Rotary8 Master Guru

GPU:
    SLI 680
    i pay $120 a month for my internet for 50mpbs. its a small house office that i have with me and my wife. so i end up down grading to 30mbps and save 60 bucks a month. its just as fast so i dont care. i really hope they dont do anything because i do my business on my computers and pay bills, ex ex ex

10. Zer0K3wL

Zer0K3wL Banned

GPU:
    gtx 480 850/1700/2000 h2o
    i pay 67E a month thats 86 87 dollars a month.
    for my 120 mbit connection wich gives me 122 mbit down 10 mbit up.

No limits at all.
    seriously data limits are stupid.
    i would find new isp without data limits and without bull****.

and lol cut off for a year for going 20gb over max.
    i would just add that to next month if so.

11. Chillin

Chillin Ancient Guru

GPU:
    -
    I pay roughly $25-$35 per month for a 12Mbit down and 1Mbit up cable connection with unlimited data. Which equates to roughly 1300KBps down and 80KBps up.

12. FULMTL

FULMTL Ancient Guru

GPU:
    AOC 27"
    Our internet is so strange. Its $30/month but look at the specs...3G has faster upload..
    [​IMG]
    Realtime speeds are roughly 850-1200kb/s down. Suprisingly this doesnt affect gaming at all :) and since its so cheap, its all good.

13. Icanium

Icanium Ancient Guru

GPU:
    ASUS 4090TUF
    ^ iam guessing you really mean 20 Mbyte/s since 20Mbit is only 2.5 Mbyte/s (2.5 mbps).
    verses the quote below since 120 mbit = 15 mbps.
    conversion 1 byte = 8 bits
    Sorry for resorting to the Bits Police role, just trying to keep things in the proper ratio. (Ive never seen download speeds of 2.1 mbps on a 2.5 mbps plan.)

14. Labyrinth

Labyrinth Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Tri-X R9 290 4G
    I pay £15 per month which is about $23 my service is unlimited i even downloaded all my steamgames again because i put my hdd in a raid about 2months ago and that was about 400GB plus another 20GBish for direct2drive games

Because its a asymmetric service not symmetric although you can get symmetric which is like very costly

15. Nbz

Nbz Master Guru

GPU:
    Sapphire HD6850 1000/1150
    20Mbps Connection here for 25€ a month without Data limits of any sort.

Works like a charm and gives me very litle trouble.

16. ST19AG_WGreymon

ST19AG_WGreymon Guest

GPU:
    eVGA RTX2070
    I switched from Comcast to Verizon because of the intermittent service. This is what I get with Verizon:
    [​IMG]

I do miss the way Comcast channels were sorted and how they let you use your own wireless router.

17. Icanium

Icanium Ancient Guru

GPU:
    ASUS 4090TUF
    The thing that I hate most about Companies with limits is that they do not allow the unused balance to carryover to the next month.

18. volkov956

volkov956 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RTX 3080 12GB
    Do u get charged per mb after u go over limit?

My current ISP would charge me $360 with ur 36GB overage but then agaiN i have no option till I move

19. chickenRUN

chickenRUN Ancient Guru

GPU:
    ATI 7950
    Comcast will only do something if you are in the top 1% of your node. If you only just went over the cap then you are probably not anywhere near the top 1%.

It is more of a scare tactic to get people to not degrade the comcast network which is aged and cannot actually handle the speeds that they offer.

20. Leafblower

Leafblower Ancient Guru

GPU:
    MSI GTX 760 SLI
    I make fun of my friends all the time because they have Comcast and AT&T and I have better. They wish they had my ISP.