Comcast launches 105Mbit internet

Discussion in 'Frontpage news' started by IndianScout, Apr 16, 2011.

1. PhazeDelta1

PhazeDelta1 Guest

GPU:
    EVGA 1080 FTW
    no, theres no way you can hit that cap in an afternoon. besides thats just an up to speed, its not even guaranteed.

if you do manage to go over the cap the first time, you get a letter in the mail. if it happens a second time, your service is shut off for 12 months and on top of that, you still have to pay them. so either way, your boned.

Last edited: Apr 18, 2011
  2. Kaleid

Kaleid Ancient Guru

GPU:
    7900xt
    100/10 connection for 50 bucks per month for me. No caps.

But I'll go to 30/30 for 40 bucks insteads.

3. sava700

sava700 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    EVGA 1080GTX FWT
    Yeah it's possible to hit that cap at even the current Blast package speeds in one day. As for the shutting off service and paying them.. lol yeah right, that won't hold up in court.

4. PhazeDelta1

PhazeDelta1 Guest

GPU:
    EVGA 1080 FTW
    well now that i think about it, maybe it is possible. watch less pr0n :p
    as for the court thing, idk if it will hold up either. i think the worse that will happen is they send you a bill if you dont return the equipment.
    although ive never heard of anyones service being cut off for exceeding the cap either. but its in the fine print in the acceptable use policy for HSI customers.
    first time is a written notice. if it happens again within a 6 month period, service is terminated.

5. sava700

sava700 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    EVGA 1080GTX FWT
    It's a well known issue so far with the news of this new 105Mbit package.

http://www.pcworld.com/businesscent...st_screws_up_blazing_extreme_105_service.html

Hitting the limit and very quickly is easy without pr0n involved.. They need to drop this cap all together. If they have a issue with a few customers then stop punishing the rest and hurting innovation. And remember you can own your own modem so there isn't a thing they can do if you don't lease it from them which by the way starting next month is $7/month

6. PhazeDelta1

PhazeDelta1 Guest

GPU:
    EVGA 1080 FTW
    yea i agree. i stream from netflix ALOT. so i can burn through some bandwith. but not all comcast customers have the cap. there are a few around here that are excluded from
    having a limit. i just happen to be one of them. the area i live in, according to comcast is not considered residential. so no cap. but you go 5 miles up the road, my girlfriends family
    are in comcast's " residential zone". i think its stupid tbh.

verizon's fios cant get here fast enough lol

7. Norvekh

Norvekh Guest

GPU:
    EVGA RTX 2080 Ti
    Let's say you're stuck with half that 105mbps even while doing simultaneous downloads. You're still talking around 12 hours and you'd hit the cap. Run OS updates, buy some digital content in whatever forms, and just browse streaming video sites and I can easily see hitting the limits set by Comcast on that kind of connection. And that doesn't even factor uploading which also counts towards your cap.

But my point still stands, in around 7 hours at 105mbps you'd hit 250GB. For reference, that's less than half of my Steam games.

8. Drunken Shooter

Drunken Shooter Guest

GPU:
    EVGA 2070 super FTW
    Big deal good luck getting them speeds, when their idiot techs use RG59 cable, use crappy connectors, and fail to inspect cables and splitters properly for best connection, not to mention half of them don't even know how digital signal works.
    there is some food for thought

9. PhazeDelta1

PhazeDelta1 Guest

GPU:
    EVGA 1080 FTW
    when i was working for them, rg59 got phased out in new homes and that was back in '06. we started using rg11 shortly after for everything. about a year later after countless complaints, they became smart and started using the ends with compression fittings.

i agree, some of those pople shouldnt be allowed to opperate a tooth brush let alone have anything to do with cable/internet installs, but the majority of us knew how to do our jobs the right way.

10. Mkilbride

Mkilbride Banned

GPU:
    EVGA GTX470 1.2GB

Uh dude...that's only if you download that much.

If you download 250GB in 7 hours, weather it's possible or not, that's crazy.

11. PhazeDelta1

PhazeDelta1 Guest

GPU:
    EVGA 1080 FTW
    thats a hardcore computer person there lol

12. styka

styka Master Guru

GPU:
    RX 480 8GB RD
    hahha you peeps are lucky enough, in here $200 you probably could only get 2MBps with no cap.

13. sava700

sava700 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    EVGA 1080GTX FWT
    Just about everyone in the Cab and Sat industry that I know is using the compression fittings (cheapest they can find). RG6 is still widely used in the copper clad unless you find a sat installer using the good stuff when putting in Wild Blue or Hughs net internet.