Comcast launches 105Mbit internet

Discussion in 'Frontpage news' started by IndianScout, Apr 16, 2011.

1. scoter man1

scoter man1 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    MSI GTX 1070ti
    Imho, Its kind of stupid because I'd doubt most servers can even throw 100 mbps out there. I get well over 20 Mbps sometimes and if 10Mbps = 1MBps, I should be able to download something at 2MBps but I've only ever seen 1.5. I could be way wrong though.

2. PurpleFish

PurpleFish Master Guru

GPU:
    XFX GTX260 c216 @ 780core
    I'm pulling over 500g a month and have been over 1tb. I really hope this "capping" crap isn't going to be the norm. As of now my carrier has no limit but I'm sure things will change.

3. CPC_RedDawn

CPC_RedDawn Ancient Guru

GPU:
    6800XT Nitro+ SE
    Ha this makes the UK broadband internet seem like childs play in comparison. We currently only have 50Mb as the fastest speed (soon 100Mb) but its insanely expensive. I have this package my self and the area I live in has very high download usage so at peak times the internet has tremedous amounts of jitter which makes online gaming more or less impossible!

4. sykozis

sykozis Ancient Guru

GPU:
    MSI RX5700
    My last cable modem cost me $100....Motorola Surfboard Extreme Docsis3 modem.... But, $5/month....over 12 months that's $60, 2 years = $120... not really worth leasing as in the long run it's cheaper to buy a good one. Also, most people don't have modems dropping out constantly. My parents have had 2 modems in 10 years.....only reason for the change was due to a network upgrade that caused problems with the first modem. For some reason that Cox Comm couldn't explain, the first modem wouldn't register on the network after the upgrade.

5. Iggyblack

Iggyblack Ancient Guru

GPU:
    PNY GTX 960 1330/1790
    this is why when i lived in the U.S. i switched to charter, i got faster download speed than i did with comcast on the same plan and no stupid monthly limit.

not to mention when comcast first announced this limit, they accused me of downloading like 600GB's in one month.
    and for those of you that dont know, the monthly limit includes download+upload.

6. PhazeDelta1

PhazeDelta1 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    EVGA 1080 FTW
    comcast just included a usage meter on my account page. i went to pay my bill this morning and saw it. damn netfilx can use up some stuff lol.

7. Zebatshu

Zebatshu Member Guru

GPU:
    EVGA GTX670
    This thread makes me sad, down here in SA we have to pay R899 (+- $128 US) for a 4Mb/s uncapped service :cry:. If you're lucky then you have access to a 10Mb/s line, and then it will cost you $337.

8. Mkilbride

Mkilbride Banned

GPU:
    EVGA GTX470 1.2GB
    "Just" ?

Been there for quite some time, buddy, more than a year.

9. PhazeDelta1

PhazeDelta1 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    EVGA 1080 FTW
    wasnt there last month when i paid my bill

10. Redemption80

Redemption80 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GALAX 970/ASUS 970
    Mkilbride, quite easy to download 1tb a month, as others have said.

If Steam do a sale, i've saw me grab 50-100gb from them alone in a week.
    I also don't do compression i have a choice, and while for TV shows i could record them on my HD cable box, but since that only has 160gb its rarely an option, so to download each episode is 4-6gb in size, BluRay's are on average 30-50gb each, lossless HD music can be 2-4gb an album, even mods add up, in the hour before i went to bed last night, i grabbed over 10gb worth.

Either way, as i said, 250gb is far too low for a service which could hit that in 5-6hours.

Last edited: Apr 17, 2011

11. Seref

Seref Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Sapphire 7970 GHz Vapor-X
    Comcast can be as fast as they want, won't stop them from having the worst customer support of any ISP I've ever dealt with.

12. PhazeDelta1

PhazeDelta1 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    EVGA 1080 FTW
    lol you are so right about that

13. Leafblower

Leafblower Ancient Guru

GPU:
    MSI GTX 760 SLI
    We used to have Comcast back before 2003 I think. Never having them again.

14. Denial

Denial Ancient Guru

GPU:
    EVGA RTX 3080
    I download like 500GB+ a month on FIOS with no issue. I also get 30meg/s upload. These 105, 101, 100 services from comcast/cablevision are crap. They are up to connections, often time you don't even get close to those numbers, even when connected to awesome connections. I'd rather take the higher upload/no cap any day of the week over comcast/cablevisions crap.

15. PhatKat

PhatKat Banned

GPU:
    Hawk 5770 1.02G/1.4G H2O

There is that. You are their toilet paper.

16. sava700

sava700 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    EVGA 1080GTX FWT
    Don't go making changes to your account or expect that meter to disappear for 3 months or maybe more. I had a little issue I noticed that I wasn't getting what I was paying for so they adjusted a few things and BAM meter is gone from settings section of the account. I complain but still not there so ohh well I'll use whatever I want till it's up and there isn't nothing they can say :)

17. PhazeDelta1

PhazeDelta1 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    EVGA 1080 FTW
    the meter dont bother me really. it just goes to show how much ive been wearing out netflix since the month started lol

18. Norvekh

Norvekh Ancient Guru

GPU:
    EVGA RTX 2080 Ti
    So, basically, Comcast introduces a new plan at $200 a month that you can hit your cap in an afternoon and be SOL for the rest of the month? And this should appeal to me how?

19. Fusion_XT

Fusion_XT Master Guru

GPU:
    MSI GTX1080 X 2139/5400
    ROFL @ you guys in the states !

Netherlands = 120Mbit (aka max. 15MB a sec) with HDTV and Telephone for only €75,- !

Edit: ... ow and no DL limit ! :nerd: :banana:

Last edited: Apr 18, 2011
  20. Frog_Smoker

Frog_Smoker Member Guru

GPU:
    CirrusLogic 1MB
    Don't know if I should be happy or not but here in the Caribbean they have had 100Mbps from July 2010 for ~USD $126 with no capping. However, the fastest upload speed for residential users is 3Mbps

:bang: