Combining disks

Discussion in 'SSD and HDD storage' started by SentinelAeon, Oct 30, 2019.

1. SentinelAeon

SentinelAeon Guest

GPU:
    7950 HD
    Hello,

I am using ssd for system and games and 1tb hdds for other files. I am running out of space on this 1tb. Now i just got a big amount of 1tb hdds. I am deciding on how to set them up. I am deciding between:

1) simply add another 1tb disk, so now i have 2x1tb disks, each running his own partition and split files between the two. Downside is that i dont have all the things on 1 partition.

2) add another 1tb disk and make both disks into spanned. Now i see both disks as 1 partition, have double the space and if something goes wrong, data is safely together as it will start writing to disk 2 only when disk 1 is empty. Bad is that performance is basically as fast as 1 disk can go.

3) add another 1tb disk as striped. Double the space, double the performance. I would like to know how safe this is, as in, can something in windows go wrong and it all collapses ?

One last thing to consider. My motherboard only has 2 sata2 ports. Since ssd is taking 1 of those ports, only one of 1tb disks will run on sata2. As far as speeds go it shouldnt be a problem since i doubt that those 1tb hdds can go as high as 150mb/s, but im wondering if it will be a problem combining disks with 1 running on sata and 1 running on sata 2. Im using windows 8.1