Colour banding

Discussion in 'Computer Monitor Forum' started by DanielJG, Dec 30, 2020.

1. DanielJG

DanielJG Guest

GPU:
    660ti
    I just "upgraded" to an LG 24GL600F for 144hz and FreeSync and I'm noticing terrible colour banding everywhere. Every single pattern I make using this: https://www.css-gradient.com/ shows banding, looking up at the sky in games shows banding, and Youtube and other videos show banding. I know videos aren't best example because of compression, but the monitor does seem to be making things worse than it already would be. I've played around with every setting my monitor has and Windows and NVIDIA colour settings with no change.

I've used an eye dropper tool to analyse the RGB values of these images, and there does seem to be small changes in values that the actual screen output doesn't reflect. I know I've bought a lower priced monitor, but I thought being able to show colours would be a basic function of a monitor in 2020, and in trying to Google the problem I've seen plenty of results from people complaining about the same thing on higher priced monitors with IPS panels. What exactly is the problem here and what should I be looking for to avoid it in the future?

2. Xul Aethyr

Xul Aethyr Active Member

GPU:
    1080TI MSI Gaming X 2ghz
    the monitor is 6 bit+frc, there will be color banding, try for a monitor at least true 8 bit to avoid this.

3. DanielJG

DanielJG Guest

GPU:
    660ti
    In the research I did I didn't even come across those terms but that would seem to be it... I can't believe there are monitors on the market sold today that can't even display 32-bit colour properly. Isn't that at least 20 years old? I'm sure I remember having it on Windows 95/98.

4. dexterav

dexterav Master Guru

GPU:
    Asus TUF 4090 OC
    well this a simple thing, Firefox have banding no matter 4 2 2 chroma, 10bits or 8bits... edge/chrome dont have banding even on 8bit :D

5. Andrewtst

Andrewtst Master Guru

GPU:
    GeForce RTX 4090
    This monitor using TN panel, you want a great monitor without banding, you should choose at least a good quality IPS / VA panel. For color accuracy, go for IPS panel.

8 bits (6 bits + FRC) is good enough to eliminate most banding issue if the display panel is IPS or VA. For full banding free, you should look for 10 bits (8 bits + FRC) IPS or VA panel. Real 8 bits or 10 bits off course is better with + FRC but it is very high cost and difficult to get especially for 10 bits. FRC is very fine technology now to reduce the cost but still output similar result.

TN is good for fast respond only, others than that it is a very crap display.

Last edited: Jan 14, 2021