Cold/Flu prevention

Discussion in 'The Guru's Pub' started by Pending, Jun 26, 2008.

1. Pending

Pending Master Guru

So i worked the other day with someone who has bean sick for a week and still had it a little, not completely fealing good. So i usualy use some of that airborn stuff but i need to get some more. Wanted to know what works good for you. Im going on vacation tomarrow so would like NOT to get sick. So what do you do to prevent getting the big, or to cure the bug if you have it. I might already have it but i feal fine atm. So what do you guys do?

2. dukedave5200

dukedave5200 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    BFG GTX 285 OCX - SLI
    I tell my girlfriend that BJ's are the cure for all sickness. :nerd:

Ok, seriously, I just load up on vitamins and healthy foods and lots and lots of water. Wash your hands a lot too and try not to touch your face/mouth/nose areas if you are around someone infected.

3. eRa`

eRa` Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Palit GeForce GTX 570
    Training, workout, eat appropriate, cold showers.

Never been sick for five years or even longer now.

4. Pending

Pending Master Guru

I dont think ill get sick becouse i feal fine atm but i just want to make sure i dont becouse im giong on my vacation. Want to have lots of fun and not get sick while im there. I do excersixe before i go to bed, just to keep in shape.

Nice. I think that the airborne stuff is just like a shot of vitamin C or something, i got some vitamns so ill load up them too.

Thanks for the replies guys, keep them coming!

Last edited: Jun 26, 2008

5. krisby

krisby Guest

GPU:
    Gigabyte GTX 970
    I normally just take Garlic and Echinacea pills every day, obviously not 100%, but I had one cold last year and just getting over one now, which will likely be my only one this year, but its been a doozy, I don't think anyone could have fought this one off, atleast 10 people at my wifes work is off with it, I got it off her, but it wasn't bad enough to stop me play golf last Saturday or put me off work.

6. TheWalrus

TheWalrus Member Guru

GPU:
    Quadro FX 550
    Take your Flintstones!

7. Classic Satch

Classic Satch Banned

GPU:
    2xEVGA GTX 260 216 SC
    Not to mention that they're good for her skin. :D

Personally, I find that a touch of Jim Beam or Johnny Walker applied several times a week does the trick quite nicely. Plus, you gotta always let your liver know who's boss. :)

8. aircool

aircool Don Aircooleone Staff Member

GPU:
    Zotac GTX 560 Ti 448 Core
    Its easy really, just eat well (IE try to be healthy if you can), stay warm when its cold as this is a common issue when cold your body struggles to keep warm and 'destory' any bacteria but because its cold its not as effective.

9. BlackZero

BlackZero Guest

So you have a cold pending? :nerd:

10. Pending

Pending Master Guru

Not sure, i feal fine but i dont want to get sick becouse of working with a sick man.

Lol, i eat helthy after i finish eating this here ice cream. ;D, not eating too much of it though.

11. malky

malky Master Guru

GPU:
    EVGA RTX 2080
    My mother swears by Echinacea tea, used to get sick every time she went back to Scotland until a friend told hear about this tea, never got sick traveling since.

12. Pending

Pending Master Guru

Hmmm, ill see if i can find some.

13. volkov956

volkov956 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RTX 3080 12GB
    I would not recommend taking pills and shots ur are just making your immune system more vulnerable in the long run.

For Colds and FLU's anyways

14. scipio

scipio Guest

GPU:
    Evga 1080 gaming
    Take 2 shots of Patron, Tequila it cures what ails ya...along with some hot peppers

15. scipio

scipio Guest

GPU:
    Evga 1080 gaming
    Well for my family it works for food/water borne illnesses in Mexico

16. volkov956

volkov956 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RTX 3080 12GB
    but I did state for Flu's and Colds

17. scipio

scipio Guest

GPU:
    Evga 1080 gaming
  18. Pending

Pending Master Guru

What i mean by shots is, like im taking airborne which is basicly just a tablet you put in water, it desolves and you drink it. And its just a "Shot" Of vitamans and stuff. So its not hurting me in the long run. I was jokeing about the pills. lol.

EDIT: Could not find the tea.

19. Solinari

Solinari Guest

GPU:
    MSI N560GTX-Ti Twin Frozr
    This is my understanding of cold and flu, so it may not be completely accurate.

I really don't think there is much you can do, if it's a cold or flu strain that your body has never dealt with then i am pretty sure you will become symptomatic. There are things you can do to strengthen the immune system like a lot of the things mentioned before.

I think it basically comes down to immunity and anti bodies, you can't catch the same cold or flu virus twice. It's like the measles, once you've had it, you can't get it again because once you fight it off you develop anti bodies which kill the virus before you become symptomatic. The same goes for cold and flu virus, but there are so many different strains that constantly mutate so we can't avoid them altogether.

Frankly i think a lot of things are scams, you can strengthen your immune system but this will only really help lessen the duration of a cold or flu infection and not prevent one after (sufficient) exposure.

20. OrionRU

OrionRU Ancient Guru

GPU:
    EVGA 8800GTX (621/1512/2020)
    Dunno, I never get sick...