Coil whine on 9900KF?

Discussion in 'Processors and motherboards Intel' started by Danny_G13, Jun 30, 2020.

1. Danny_G13

Danny_G13 Master Guru

GPU:
    MSI 4090 Trio
    Just installed this on my rig and there's a noticable coil whine throughout.

It gets worse during certain apps.

Is this a bedding in issue or have I got a bad chip?

2. CalculuS

CalculuS Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GTX 1660Ti
    CPU's can't have coil whine.

Are you sure its not the fan?

3. -Tj-

-Tj- Ancient Guru

GPU:
    3080TI iChill Black
    Nice so you got it!
    Well this cpu puts more pressure to the whole power delivery system.

I was thinking of psu 12v cpu line or even mobo vrm

4. Danny_G13

Danny_G13 Master Guru

GPU:
    MSI 4090 Trio
    Brand new PSU brand new mobo?

5. IceVip

IceVip Master Guru

GPU:
    MSI 4090 Liquid X
    Could be, just because it's new doesn't mean its coil-whine free.

Try to find a pattern. Stress different components of your pc with AIDA64 maybe, see if stressing a particular one would result in a
    change in the frequency of the coil while or its decibels. That way you could pinpoint it.

p,s recently i found out NVMe's whine. Especially the new ones, might be worth checking it out.

-Tj- likes this.
  6. tsunami231

tsunami231 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    EVGA 1070Ti Black
    Swap out the psu with diffrent one to see if it stops? if stops it psu causing the whine. if it dont it likely mobo or some other component,

Doubt it the cpu in general more like psu followed by gpu motherboard in my experience with coil whine most time for mee it been bad psu cuasing the whine in other parts, and if it not psu it was gpu

chinobino likes this.
  7. chinobino

chinobino Maha Guru

GPU:
    MSI 3060Ti Gaming X
    I have a 9900K and just swapped my power supply over to a new Corsair AX850 and now have coil whine coming from the motherboard VRM where there was none before.

As tsunami231 said, do you have another PSU to test with?

8. tsunami231

tsunami231 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    EVGA 1070Ti Black
    @chinobino

And people wonder why I been saying since the launch of ps4/pro that reason there is coilwhine in them is the psu a bad psu even if provides the power needed can and will cause coilwhine in other components if it defective or low quality.

I one had PSU that cause zero coilwhine under ANY load, but the moment I turned my pc off for the night with that PSU it emitted lower buzzing coiling whine and only made the noise when it was off just like my ps4 does when it off nvm the pro that had coilwhine in most anything that was a "pro" game or enchanced for pro... the PSU for my pc was a RMA of PSU that was causing coilwhine to happen on my gpu. I RMA'ed it again got PSU that work proper no whine in any component and no whine when it was off...

chinobino likes this.
  9. patteSatan

patteSatan Master Guru

GPU:
    XFX RX 6700xt
    Corsair isnt worth buying, ever.

10. Danny_G13

Danny_G13 Master Guru

GPU:
    MSI 4090 Trio
    So TDP for both 9600K and 9900KF are exactly the same, same wattage. 95W.

And yet now I get this weird whining in pretty much any intense activity. Why would this be a PSU issue?

I do have a spare one yes, but that's a hell of a faff. I didn't get this whining with my old CPU.

EDIT: it's the NVMe - I'm 99% sure of it.

11. Zooke

Zooke Master Guru

GPU:
    3090FE + EK Block
    This opens up a bigger question.
    Why would a 9900KF cause the NVMe to whine when a 9600K did not ?

12. Danny_G13

Danny_G13 Master Guru

GPU:
    MSI 4090 Trio
    Because I was wrong haha.

It's not the NVMe - at least none of the three of the four I was able to remove. I can't take out the system disk (can't test in windows without it) so that does leave one but it's looking more and more likely to be PSU now. The whine is so obvious - any game paused doesn't see whine, but unpause and the screaming resumes.

But then, power draw is the same from both CPUs - just because one has 8 cores 16 threads and one has 6 doesn't mean squat to the TDP. So, I definitely am confused as to why this upgrade appears to have affected PSU coil whine.

13. Danny_G13

Danny_G13 Master Guru

GPU:
    MSI 4090 Trio
    So I managed to test another PSU - there was still SOME whine but admittedly not as much. Both Corsair 1000W efforts.

Now I'm a little confused. What have I achieved here haha.

14. chinobino

chinobino Maha Guru

GPU:
    MSI 3060Ti Gaming X
    Read some interesting info on "coil whine" from Corsair here.

I am just tolerating it for now, it only happens under load.

-Tj- likes this.
  15. toyo

toyo Master Guru

GPU:
    Gigabyte 1070Ti 8G
    It's likely your VRMs. Just ignore. It won't go away.

16. -Tj-

-Tj- Ancient Guru

GPU:
    3080TI iChill Black
    What game, what fps? Does it happen if you limit fps a bit?

Well, I don't have coil while on my 5year old budget 650W Chieftec, but if I let's say run 3dmark 2006? or was it 2003 e.g. test 1 or nature test then it can whine @ high fps - not as loud as my old Tagan psu.

17. Danny_G13

Danny_G13 Master Guru

GPU:
    MSI 4090 Trio
    Great piece, thank you for linking me to it. Basically the one in my rig right now is the RM series quoted in that blog, and the whine is definitely less than the HX1000 I replaced it with.
    I noticed it especially bad during Watch Dogs 2 and strangely the API test on 3DMark. But in both cases it's marginally better with the alternative PSU. And not tried to limit FPS, suppose I could look at that too?

Like I say, it definitely happened on 3DMark, the most recent version.

18. Danny_G13

Danny_G13 Master Guru

GPU:
    MSI 4090 Trio
    So I've done a bit of fiddling, and there is basically none in Watch Dogs 2 if you turn Temporal Filtering off! With it on, there is some, but it's not that bad at all. At least, not with this PSU.

Turning framerate down via in game limiter made no difference, but forcing it down by having filtering off (DLSS in all but name) did kill the whine by about 95%.

19. bobblunderton

bobblunderton Master Guru

GPU:
    EVGA 2070 Super 8gb
    I used to get such bad coil whine 10~15 years ago on some components that you could hear it two rooms away on the next floor of the house!
    Used to get it on my GTX 260 Black Edition SLI cards something severe. Got rid of those for a custom board GTX 470 and it went away period.
    Can happen with any component, bought AMD video cards for years until the 2070 Super this past December due to it.
    Any component with any brand, if there is one imperfect piece of VRM circuitry you will end up with it.

Coil whine is more annoying the higher the FPS, as it'll make a single small pop or tick sound per frame, turning into a squeal anything over 30~45fps. The higher the fps the higher and more audible the squeal. If you have a good mixer hooked up you can sometimes turn that band's volume down a bit but not always get that lucky as it changes pitch.
    x30 fps barely audible,
    x60 fps = borderline to mildly annoying,
    x240 fps = insanity
    x More fps = ARGH!!!

So yes, there can even be coil whine just from moving the mouse, of all things. So buyer beware, buy good brands!

20. Danny_G13

Danny_G13 Master Guru

GPU:
    MSI 4090 Trio
    Put the HX1000 back in, and the coil whine did go up a bit again, but not as unbearably bad as it was before. Either that or I feared worse from memory.

Yes on the higher FPS thing - the worst it's been was during that API test where the fps was sky high and it comes audibly clearly down as the test ramps up and gets more stressful.