coil noise / people whine.

Discussion in 'Videocards - NVIDIA GeForce' started by stevevnicks, Nov 18, 2014.

1. zimzoid

zimzoid Guest

GPU:
    2xEVGA980TiSC+(H20) Swift
    I get this only in Goat sim, no other game.. Weird..

2. sykozis

sykozis Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Asus RX6700XT
    Electricians don't design or repair circuits in electronic devices. They tend to wire up buildings. I'm sorry facts offend you. If you want to claim mastery of electronics, get a degree in it. Electronics classes are different from Electrical classes for a reason.

3. Dillinger

Dillinger Guest

GPU:
    GTX 950
    Lighten up, I was just joking.

I understand coil whine isn't harmful and I'm sure most people here know this, but some prefer silent running rigs and if they choose to RMA because of it then so be it.

Personally the only time I had an issue with coil whine was with my HD 7970, it did it during idle and was an annoyance.

4. stevevnicks

stevevnicks Guest

GPU:
    Don't need one
    yea sozz fella its been frustrating.

5. sykozis

sykozis Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Asus RX6700XT
    My 7950 had an issue with coil whine when I first got it. The issue has since resolved itself. Not saying that the coil whine is gone mind you, but I can't hear it over all my case fans. If my desire had been a quiet tower, I'd have RMA'd my card over the noise.

My interest in this thread wasn't to tell people not to RMA their cards over the coil whine. Feel free to. Manufacturers should be using higher quality parts that are less prone to audible coil whine anyway. BUT, others do need to stop telling people that their cards are faulty simply because they exhibit coil whine as that is a lie.

6. stevevnicks

stevevnicks Guest

GPU:
    Don't need one
    I started this for people who don't know what coil noise is so they can make an informative decision.