Coffee Lake Not Supported by Intel’s 200-Series Motherboards

Discussion in 'Frontpage news' started by dean469, Aug 3, 2017.

1. H83

H83 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    MSI Duke GTX1080Ti
    We were expecting/hoping the same socket because Intel is still stuck on the 14nm node, forcing them to use basically the same cpu since Skylake with minor tweaks. This results in cpus that don´r require new sockets because they are very similar. If Intel was already on the next node, then a new socket would be "normal".

In the end Intel is the one who loses with this move because some who were thinking about upgrading to a six core aren´t going to do it because they need a new board and the ones who are looking to upgrade their new system from scratch are going to think twice about going to Intel and maybe switch to AMD.

Personally i would welcome Coffe Lake support for my system so i could have an possible upgrade path in the future, this way i´m just gonna keep my 7600K for a long time.

Last edited: Aug 3, 2017
  2. schmidtbag

schmidtbag Ancient Guru

GPU:
    HIS R9 290
    I can't say I'm too surprised by this. Socket 1151 is a minor tweak to 1150 and collectively they have lasted a modestly long time. Considering how much their product lineup has been shifted, they're likely trying to adjust for any headroom they need to compensate for.

Which Sempron days? Semprons have been in production from 2004-2016.

I'm pretty sure the fabrication node has very little to do with needing to replace sockets. For example, an AM3 CPU can be used on an AM2+ and an AM3+ motherboard. That's a range of 65nm to 32nm.

3. ruthan

ruthan Master Guru

GPU:
    G1070 MSI Gaming
    Intel needs to bleed.. We need 2,3 yeas of AMD supermancy, to return Intel on ground again, but now is AMD at same CPU level at best..

No Ryzen APus, no good 5w,10w,15w quad cores with good GPU for ultralights, handhelds etc.. - There could AMD lead.

No more than 512 shader units in APU, when there 3 years available console APUs with 1100+ shader units - big fail.

I dont mind if AMD could create some old lasting MB line line socket 7 (super socket 7) - where you could use everything from Intel Pentium 60 MHz to AMD K6-III - 550 MHz, i want lots of 3D and Now baby..

Last edited: Aug 3, 2017
  4. Sixtyfps

Sixtyfps Master Guru

GPU:
    MSI GT73VRE TITAN
    If you upgrading that much and can afford to do that im sure you can afford a new motherboard. Im on 1150 ddr3 4790k so i would had to upgrade everything regardless and its not like i even need to. If Coffee can beat Kaby with a 15% increase i would upgrade. I think for me would be like 35% better.

5. tsunami231

tsunami231 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    EVGA 1070Ti Black
    guess i will be sticking to my 6700k for the forseeable future so 3-5 more yaers less mutli thread becomes something dev and programs start to use correctly and it be comes huge bottleneck

6. schmidtbag

schmidtbag Ancient Guru

GPU:
    HIS R9 290
    It's not that these parts won't come out, they're just a low priority. It was wise of AMD to do things in the order they did. Ryzen acted more as a proof of concept than anything. I don't think they expected it to sell well, because it really only caters to enthusiasts and investors. TR meanwhile is where AMD's real money-making will begin, since they're now entering a segment that has been in-demand but too expensive thanks to Intel's monopoly. They're doing TR first because AMD already has a little too much competition in the server market (which Epyc targets), so TR is basically a downscaled sample for server admins to experiment on, where they then get to decide if Epyc is where they want to upgrade. If that works, AMD ought to be pretty competitive.
    FM2+ APUs are still decent products and don't need immediate replacement. AMD is still working on Infinity Fabric for their GPUs, so until that's complete, the APUs have to wait anyway. Without APUs, AMD isn't going to be all that interested in creating laptop chips. For companies that don't want an APU laptop, they're already doing Ryzen-based laptops anyway.
    As for other mobile devices, I don't think AMD is going to even attempt to get into that. Keep in mind even Intel gave up on that.

The consoles also have lower clocks, less RAM, and use custom chips. To my knowledge, the consoles are still based on Jaguar cores, which are significantly simpler than Zen cores (meaning, they take up a lot less space). There just simply might not be enough room to fit more than 512 shaders.

That's what GPUs are for...

7. ocsystem

ocsystem Member Guru

GPU:
    MSI1070Ti
    will keep my favorite Sandy-B till the end until jump to AMD in future...

8. dmity84

dmity84 Member

GPU:
    RTX 2080 FE
    Damn, literally just replaced a Z170X with a Z270, hoping a bios update down the line would make it possible to run Coffee lake CPUs and now read this... looks like 7700k on the Z270 is the end of the line.

So these 8xxx will be something different to 1151 and 2066?

9. Kaarme

Kaarme Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Sapphire 390
    I needed to "upgrade" from Ivy to Sky due to external reasons. I still don't consider HT alone worth the big extra money Intel is asking for i7 over i5, so from Ivy Bridge to Skylake I got next to nothing. However, if there had been a mainstream 6-core, like there should have been if Intel still was a technology company and not a money company, I would have likely paid even the i7 price for it. I have been running 4-cores for a long time now and feel like a 6-core would be relevant. I'm not going to get a new mobo for it, though. If a new mobo is absolutely needed, I'd build an AMD system instead.

10. Sixtyfps

Sixtyfps Master Guru

GPU:
    MSI GT73VRE TITAN
    you act like 6700k is a bad cpu lol

11. 0blivious

0blivious Ancient Guru

GPU:
    5700XT / GTX1070
    How often do people upgrade their CPUs? By the time you do, chances are you'll want the newer chipset features anyways.

It's annoying that Intel can't get two generations back to back on the same socket very often

It seems like if you swap CPUs that often, you were probably swapping your board again as well.

It's not like AMD has some stellar history either. They released a bunch of refreshes on the same socket. Most weren't worth bothering with if you had an older 8 core already.

12. __hollywood|meo

__hollywood|meo Ancient Guru

GPU:
    MSI 970 @1.55ghz
    socket changes are supposed to come with chipset overhauls, period, full stop. theres literally no other reason for it. the difference between offering a viable cohesive upgrade path until EOL, or arbitrarily designing an """""incompatible""""" socket...is simply, well, stark greed.

13. Loophole35

Loophole35 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    EVGA 1080ti SC
    New rumor is that coffee lake will support up to 24 PCI lanes. This could be a reason they changed to requiring 300 chipset.

14. H83

H83 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    MSI Duke GTX1080Ti
    I´ve read that it´s because Coffe Lake is going have integrated voltage regulators just like Haswell...