Codemasters: Fuel

Discussion in 'Games, Gaming & Game-demos' started by Denial, Sep 26, 2008.

1. Flopster

Flopster Banned

GPU:
    Club3D 8600GTS 256MB
    I knew it's gonna suck...

2. Darren Hodgson

Darren Hodgson Ancient Guru

GPU:
    EVGA GTX 1080 Ti SC2
    Well it is another half-hearted console port as I kind of expected. It's not terrible but it is disappointing to see the PC market being treated this way.

These days it seems that the PC market is very much an afterthought and priority is placed on the Xbox 360 and PS3 instead. So typically we have to wait many more weeks for multiformat games and end up with games with restricted graphical customisation options. It's like some developers and publishers don't really care about the PC any more.

3. Flopster

Flopster Banned

GPU:
    Club3D 8600GTS 256MB
    They don't care...

4. mr orange

mr orange Member Guru

GPU:
    eVGA gtx 280
    hope the official forum will bring some light on the lack of aa support :)

5. WhiteLightning

WhiteLightning Don Illuminati Staff Member

GPU:
    GTX1070 iChillx4
    Damn! i really had the hope it would be another CM gem :(

6. Darren Hodgson

GPU:
    EVGA GTX 1080 Ti SC2
    I'm getting that 6/10 vibe from FUEL so far. Not bad but it's not exactly great either.

I do like racing games though so I suspect I'll get a lot out of over a long period of time. It's a shame that the ambition and open world format has not been seen through properly. I get a sense that there's a really good game here but it's marred by numerous issues. It's like it was released before everything was finished really. Or maybe the developers spent so long creating the huge world you race in that they ran out of time to spend on the actual game?

7. JaxMacFL

JaxMacFL Ancient Guru

GPU:
    3090 FTW3 ULTR/HYBR
    Are you by chance using a Logitech G25 wheel? I've read mixed reports on the compatibility with using it in Fuel.

8. CPC_RedDawn

CPC_RedDawn Ancient Guru

GPU:
    6800XT Nitro+ SE
    How the hell are you getting tearing with 402fps unless you have a screen with a 15ms response time or more. I have a 24" monitor with 2ms response time and I never get tearing in games with anything over 150fps its that fast you simply can't tell, anything between your refresh rate and 150fps will give you tearing it aslo depends on the game and its engine. For instance the Ureal Engine 3 you will get screen tear quite alot unless you turn on Vsync. But 402fps is just silly to say u have tearing. I get 400fps in World Of Warcraft and I can not see any tearing at all.

9. Darren Hodgson

GPU:
    EVGA GTX 1080 Ti SC2
    Let me see... my monitor runs at 60 Hz so that means it displays 60 frames per second. 402 fps divided by 60 is approx. 6 or 7 frames per refresh. Basically the fast pan of the cinematic and the fact that 7 frames per refresh are being sent to the monitor resulted in some ugly screen tear as the framebuffer was being overloaded until I forced V-Sync. And, yes, the frame count really was 402 fps as I was using EVGA Precision v1.7.1.

10. Aura89

Aura89 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    -
    i don't think you understand what tearing it....anything above your monitors refresh rate causes tearing, if your monitors refresh rate can divide into it equally, there is much, MUCH less tearing (like 60Hz, 120fps, 180fps, etc.), but can still appear, tearing doesn't just "disappear" once you get to a high enough fps

And i'm sure if i went and saw your computer running WoW at 400fps, (which i find interesting if you have the game at highest settings), i'm 100% sure i would see screan tearing, as in reality, your monitor would have to be a Hz refresh rate of around 66.67Hz to divide into that, and even if, as i said, it does not get rid of screen tearing all the way

Last edited: Jul 6, 2009

11. Year

Year Ancient Guru

GPU:
    EVGA GTX 690
    the game is fun but the graphics ain't what i thought, in a way GRID looks better. ;)

i like the game, my score would be 7/10

12. 3Dghost

3Dghost Master Guru

GPU:
    AMD Radeon HD 7970 GHz Ed
    I liked Dirt and Grid too...but this one is a big NO NO for me

13. masterchiefx2

masterchiefx2 Banned

GPU:
    GTX 280 Sli
    played game today i rate it 1/10

not my cup of :coffee2:

14. Darren Hodgson

GPU:
    EVGA GTX 1080 Ti SC2
    If a game runs at EXACTLY 60 fps *all the time* on a 60 Hz monitor then you will see NO tearing at all with or without V-Sync enabled. Ditto for 120 fps and 180 fps as you say.

The thing is games don't run at exactly 60/120/180 fps all the time so you'll get parts of different frames display on your monitor during each refresh. That is the tearing effect. Even at over 400 fps, the tearing during the helicopter flyby at the start of FUEL was absolutely hideous.

15. Aura89

Aura89 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    -
    i do have some games, on vsync, never go below 60fps, or higher, so it is possible to never go with vsync, however, i was agreeing with you on the fact that you get screen tearing at 400fps :p

I hate screen tearing, and it would be nice if i could lock a game at 120fps, "just because", but i'd never do it, because anything inbetween 60 and 120 fps, causes screen tearing, yet below 60fps, doesn't, if only monitors would start having above 60hz.....oh well, in my opinion you can't see above 50~ fps anyways, lol

Last edited: Jul 7, 2009

16. ivan.winata

ivan.winata Master Guru

GPU:
    GTX2080Ti Zotak
    So in summary, good game or bad game?

17. Darren Hodgson

GPU:
    EVGA GTX 1080 Ti SC2
    I'd say goodish overall but almost everything that seems good about the game has a niggle or bad point associated with it.

For example, the map is absolutely huge but there's virtually nothing worth exploring it for and it all starts to look very samey after a few hours. You might discover a Vista point which will give you a livery for your vehicle when you get there but actually driving to it can take in excess of ten minutes or more, sometimes as long as 20 minutes. These end up being very dull IMO.

Also the vehicles handle fine depending on their stats but most of them feel frustratingly slow which makes the longer events a slog, especially when you realise that you HAVE to come first. Come second and there's no reward at all, no Fuel points, zilch.

Graphics seem pleasant at first but suffer from ugly draw in issues and poor AA. Sound is entirely forgettable, bordering on annoying, etc., etc.

It's feels a bit unfinished to be honest, like two-thirds of a really decent game that the developers just weren't given the time to finish. It's still fairly addictive though despite the niggles but I'm not sure that the hook will last the duration of the career mode. That said, winning events leads to new areas which leads to new events and, in turn, new vehicles. It's a proven formula and it works just as well here. Provided your expectations for the game aren't too high then I think most people will find something to enjoy here.

18. Darren Hodgson

GPU:
    EVGA GTX 1080 Ti SC2
    Oh my post wasn't disageeing with what you wrote, just supplementing it. Like you, I don't see the point in having anything higher than 60 fps anyway as I can't tell the difference either, just as well really because I absolutely despise screen tearing. The difference between 30 fps and 60 fps is more noticeable IMO than the difference between 60 fps and 120 fps.

19. Darren Hodgson

GPU:
    EVGA GTX 1080 Ti SC2
    Whoops, duplicate post! Sorry!

20. 3Dghost

3Dghost Master Guru

GPU:
    AMD Radeon HD 7970 GHz Ed
    in summary....I will never touch it again