COD4 map change with 195.62 / mouse cursor problems

Discussion in 'Videocards - NVIDIA GeForce Drivers Section' started by ginj, Dec 6, 2009.

1. ginj

ginj Member

GPU:
    EVGA gtx470
    ok i installed 195.62 with safe mod and driver sweeper method.
    and ever since, i have some problems in cod4 (more or less the only game i play)

symptoms: sometimes when map change, its stuck at black screen and i can see the mouse pointer flickering and changing position.
    after a while (+-10sec) screen is all black.
    all i got to do is ctrl+alt+del and then it actually start loading the map.
    but graphic settings are all changed and it change to random settings.
    i noticed it mostly change resolution, and AA
    other settings seems to stay like predefined.

this doesnt happens at every map change, but randomly.

i had that same problem with other drivers too.

other problem i noticed is mouse cursor jumps.
    i have a steelseries ikari lazer and razer lachesis, and both mouse gave me that cursor jumps, on soft and hard mouse pad.
    this happened right after new drivers installed.
    i also had that problem before and its also random.
    i mean, after a while the problem disappear, i dont have that problem as im typing this now. sometimes when i have that problem i reboot and it disappear
    , sometimes not.
    it is really getting on my nerves, i cant stand this no more.
    both problems are really annoying and i have no idea how i could fix them, and as both are pretty random .... im lost.

im on vista 32 ultimate, amd 6000+ on asus m2n78 pro, geil 2G 800MHz, xfx 9800GTX, enermax 500Watts, seagate baracuda 500G, eset smart security...

any help would be GREATLY appreciated
    thanx

2. Cybermancer

Cybermancer Don Quixote

GPU:
    BFG GTX260OC (192 SP)
    Huh? Which one now? Does this happen with all drivers or just with the 195.62?

How fresh is your Windows installation?

It might be faster to "just" reinstall the OS than trying to figure out what's causing this more than strange bug/problem.

3. ginj

ginj Member

GPU:
    EVGA gtx470
    what i mean is that usually when i install a new driver it cause those problems
    im not even sure its cause by the drivers or its related
    but as soon as i installed the latest 195.62, i had those problems with map change.
    sometimes i can play for like 3 hours and dont get the problem.
    but i find its kinda weird that the game try to set another resolution on its own.
    its like its trying one, then an other, then an other again till i ctrl alt del and then the map load with random graphic settings, its really like a lottery.

the cursor jump is more likely random
    i can have no cursor jumps for months and then suddenly it can be my worst nightmare.
    and changing mouse, changing mousepad, cleaning all, uninstalling razer drivers dont help. sometimes i reboot and problem is gone, sometimes not.
    really weird.
    for a moment i thought my mouse was dying, but as i have same problem with other mouses...

thing is i got both problems right when i just installed 195.62 drivers
    now after like 3 or 4 days i dont seems to have cursor jumps anymore (for now) but im pretty sure it will come back anytime soon.

im really lost but im afraid to reinstall windows, i have too many things to back up and reinstall, it will be a nightmare to get everything back.

4. Vector

Vector Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GTX 770 FTW 4gb w/bkplate
    ginj, did you install the video card driver while in 'safe mode'? If you did you shouldn't.

After installing video card driver CoD4 should have displayed a screen about something updating itself, and you should click on OK to have CoD4 update. When CoD4 udpates it won't change your Controls, but you will have to reset you video options.

5. ginj

ginj Member

GPU:
    EVGA gtx470
    no, i followed instructions from this post http://forums.guru3d.com/showthread.php?t=306922
    not sure what u mean by cod4 updates, i dont have problems with cod4 updates.
    its up to date, but sometimes when there is a map change, its stuck and seems like it wants to change resolution, so i see the mouse pointer moving (damn its hard to explain, hmm, well u see the pointer is right in the center of the screen when there is a map change. and i see that pointer flickering and moving from one position to another, according to the resolution it tries to set up.)
    then when i ctrl alt del, the map load and usually the resolution has change from 1680/1050 to a smaller resolution, but its random, so sometimes it 1024, sometimes 1600, or 1280,... and AA goes off.

now i dont know if its related or not to my mouse cursor jumps, but it may.
    as both problems seems to appear right after i install new video card drivers.
    then problems also seems to fade after time.
    as im typing this i did see my cursor moving, but less than first day i installed new drivers.
    those problems are so weird, i know, but i'd like to be sure its not hardware failure of some sort or if its just windows related.
    if i have to replace something, i would like to know.

now i have 2 HD, one with xp, one with vista. I will check this week if i have same problem while playing on xp, maybe then i'd be sure its not hardware related ?

sorry for bad english grammar )

6. avivoni

avivoni Ancient Guru

GPU:
    560ti 448 classified
    nothing to do with drivers for gpu.

its something else causing the issue.

7. Vector

Vector Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GTX 770 FTW 4gb w/bkplate
    The instructions here seem ok to me ... http://forums.guru3d.com/showthread.php?t=306922

I would now try re-installing your mouse driver.

When you change video card driver CoD4 when executed will notice the change and ask about resetting itself ... I don't remember the exact terminology.

8. ginj

ginj Member

GPU:
    EVGA gtx470
    hmm never saw that cod4 message, or i dont remember

for mouse drivers, well steelseries dont work with drivers, its driverless plug-and-play.
    but the razer comes with a few drivers that i now uninstalled, never like that mouse anyway. i just plug it to see if i have the same problems with it.

was really busy today, so i didnt had time to do some other tests, but i will try to plug the mouses on other computers, os and all, just to be sure.

and for the map change bug thing, i will just try tomorrow or later with just windows xp on the same computer.

i have no other idea

maybe i should ask santa for a new HD with win7

9. bokah

bokah Ancient Guru

GPU:
    EVGA 670GTX 2G
    sounds much like razor drivers to me, skipping that is

try delete(remember to make copy of it!) cod players directory so u get new profile, might be corrupted profile that does it