CoD4 issues with latest drivers

Discussion in 'Videocards - NVIDIA GeForce Drivers Section' started by Kolt, Aug 14, 2008.

1. Kolt

Kolt Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RTX 2080 OC
    I made a post about this in the .89 driver thread but really didn't get much insight. I'm mostly curious if anyone has these problems or a possible solution.... also, please excuse if I fail to submit some pics or any other related information as I am at work right now.

Anyways, with these .83 drivers and the previous ones (.79), my CoD4 randomly drops down to around 10-20 FPS at completely random intervals (mostly when I am about to fire, or am getting fired at, or before an air strike) then goes back. It all occurs in seconds, but it's practically a complete freeze that gets me killed a lot lol. Drivers before these 2 were completely fine. My specs are to the left, my PC is completely clean from any spyware or any faults that I am aware of. What could be causing this? I'm about ready to simply go back to the older drivers because I mostly play CoD4.

2. mattwong2120

mattwong2120 New Member

GPU:
    Nvidia 8800 Ultra
    Hey there
    I got the exact problem, at first i was wondering if my card was acting up cuz i was overclocking it, but i did stress test on it and it was fine
    the issue occured with .79 and .83 drivers
    wa happens is that, well, framerate is generally lower, i get more sudden lags, and sometimes the game just freezes for no reason
    it duzn't look like a hardware freeze cuz i can still hit Alt-Tab and go back to windows (although still freezze-ish), hit ctrl-alt-del and try to end the program but then the screen flashes, goes into 256-colour mode and say sth like some file (im sure it's related to the display driver) isn't working and forces me to restart the computer...

duz this ring a bell?

3. Outrance

Outrance Ancient Guru

GPU:
    2x HD6950 950Mhz/1350Mhz
    Probably a stupid question..... but

....we have similar motherboards.... I got a huge drop in FPS with COD4 because I had switched my card to the black PCI-e slot (it's written they are both x16 but I assume that's crossfire... no idea :stewpid: )

Is your card in the top PCI-e slot?

4. mattwong2120

mattwong2120 New Member

GPU:
    Nvidia 8800 Ultra
    yep my card is in the blue PCI-e slot
    funnily enuf that was the frist thing i asked myself when i saw the drop, check and it's fine

5. zeljkoni

zeljkoni Banned

GPU:
    MSI GTX660 twin frozr OC
    .79 and i had COD4 slowdowns but only in big maps... also i have CDD4 mega map pack...

6. Kolt

Kolt Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RTX 2080 OC
    Hmm... well, my GPU is on the correct PCIe2.0 slot (top). I also am not overclocking, nor do I have any special CoD4 packs or programs. Everything is stock in regards to that. Like I said, everything is fine except with these past 2 drivers. It just freezes/drops FPS quickly for me and goes back. No BSODs or 256-bit colors or anything. It's just very annoying to die from a quick freeze while about to shoot at someone lol.

I'd really hate to have to roll back drivers because I like to keep drivers current as many other games get improved from them... but CoD4 is just too annoying with this problem.

7. Fedorov

Fedorov Member Guru

GPU:
    Inno3D iChill GTX-1070 X4
    I'm a CoD4 only player and have been using the 174.74 beta's for a couple of months as they ran so smooth with cod4 under Vista32.

I installed these new 177.83 last night, did a quick cod4 playtest and tonight have been online for around 1 hour with no problems at all, butter smooth and I believe better image quality and colours. 2 other players also took my advice and installed them under XP and they also commented on the improved IQ.

Wonder why you guys are getting problems - hope you can resolve it. I've got to CoD4 to league matches on Friday night so it will be getting well stress tested tomorrow on these new drivers as well.

Fedorov.

8. lmimmfn

lmimmfn Ancient Guru

GPU:
    AorusXtreme 1080Ti
    im having funky corruptions with .83 and Neverwinter Nights 2 but cant tell if its the drivers or the game yet as i just got it

9. allup

allup Master Guru

GPU:
    2 X SLi Asus 7870 V2 ROG
    Well i have had time today to look @ everything else might as well try this one too.
    Will post what i find with the .89 since that is what is installed.
    Edits to follow.
    1.What Os`s are you all running?
    edit.
    Ok im multiplaymode went into a full server rthe one with all containers in a circle mess one lots of air strikes and other villony . never got below 39FPS at any time even with all that was going on. So that is not present on my setup That was also maxed out on everything including sync every frame.
    So no help here

Last edited: Aug 15, 2008
  10. Kolt

Kolt Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RTX 2080 OC
    XP32bit SP3.

Problem only appears during actual MP games. When I play LAN (host my own server) with punkbuster OFF, I don't get this problem. Could it be punkbuster? Why would these new drivers cause CoD4/Punkbuster to act all funky? I suppose I can re-install CoD4 and see if that will help. Could it possibly be my power supply? I never liked it as I had to quickly purchase it through Best Buy when my previous one didn't support the GTX280 connections.

11. allup

allup Master Guru

GPU:
    2 X SLi Asus 7870 V2 ROG
    No i do not think that is it..One way to see is to if you have the headroom is to clock your proc. a bit more, and see if it stays the same. But looking @ your specs should be fine
    Also i am using Vista and do not have XP installed. That may be a difference also.

One other thing check your ping the internet is a funny thing i do not know your connection or where you are but that would be the most likely place to start looking for your problem IE: high traffic time of day that sort of crap.
    Bad network cable even

Ahh one thing with PB go to there site and get the setup.exe and reinstall and update it that way....I have found and a lot of others as well, it fixes a lot of punkbuster issues
    Get it here.
    http://www.evenbalance.com/index.php?page=pbsetup.php

Last edited: Aug 15, 2008
  12. Kolt

Kolt Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RTX 2080 OC
    oh I know, i have the PB web setup, planning on trying that when I get home as well. If all else fails... back to old drivers :(

13. allup

allup Master Guru

GPU:
    2 X SLi Asus 7870 V2 ROG
    bump for edit

14. Fedorov

Fedorov Member Guru

GPU:
    Inno3D iChill GTX-1070 X4
    LOL spoke too soon, not CoD4 but got an infamous BSOD "IRQ NOT LESS OR EQUAL"... while just surfing, nothing else. I'd also just updated my firewall to a new version but my money is on these new nvidia drivers.

Quick Acronis image restore and I'm back to my trusty 174.74's under Vista :)
    I've put my firewall update back on so will now give my machine a few days without the drivers then I'll know for certain it was those rather than this new firewall update.

15. allup

allup Master Guru

GPU:
    2 X SLi Asus 7870 V2 ROG
    I don`t think so bud, In this thread
    http://forums.guru3d.com/showthread.php?t=270481
    I did alot of benchmarking oc`ing changing clocks around all kinds of driver stressful stuff and i got not 1 BSOD i would look @ your overclock on the vid. cards first those have been my only issue with any part of these new 2 drivers

16. rylen

rylen Active Member

GPU:
    Zotac GTX1060 6GB
    @kolt. Have you tried enabling the option for dual cards(graphics settings)? even if you're only using a single card try enabling it. I don't know if the issue I had(random frame drop) is the same with the one you're having but enabling the option for dual cards(I only have one) fixed it.

17. Kolt

Kolt Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RTX 2080 OC
    I tried that lol. I previously had it enabled and tried disabling it and no change.

18. rylen

rylen Active Member

GPU:
    Zotac GTX1060 6GB
    Ok, hmmm.... then maybe your problem is PB or network related like what allup said.

19. allup

allup Master Guru

GPU:
    2 X SLi Asus 7870 V2 ROG
    Are you on a wireless setup?

20. Kolt

Kolt Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RTX 2080 OC
    Nope. Straight to router. DMZ enabled. Never had a problem before until these 2 drivers.