COD4 - Am I missing the optimized experience?

Discussion in 'Games, Gaming & Game-demos' started by LifeForce, Jan 9, 2008.

1. BlackZero

BlackZero Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RX Vega
    Obviously another non-serious fps gamer talking about high resolutions being needed for difficult kills and yet playing with a "crappy" optical that probably doesnt even support 400 dpi, I assume you don't even know what mouse lag is then. Also wanting great gfx rather than smooth framerates, I can see how seriouisly cimpative this would be when almost all good gamers with high skill prefer to play at low gfx settings to ensure they have smooth fps.

Ofcourse some people have a "few hundred kills' more than deaths after having played for a month", hardly an experienced fps gamer.

And I would love to know who these people who thought cs:s was ok to play at 28-35 fps...

Last edited: Jan 14, 2008
  2. Havokie

Havokie Master Guru

GPU:
    4890 Vapor-X 950/1150
    I am a serious FPS gamer. I've been playing since Doom and have also owned the Xbox, Xbox 360, Ps2, Gamecube etc- all of which I used almost exclusively for FPS games.

Part of the problem is that people associate themselves as 'real' gamers and apply their necessities to other people - I think you'd find out of 100 given gamers from all over the planet, the vast majority of them wouldn't even notice a difference between say, 30 and 50fps, nor would they even care. So what makes a gamer? Are you only allowed call yourself a gamer if you demand 60-100fps from your games?

Regarding 'few hundred more kills', in BF2 I had thousands more kills then deaths, Call of Duty was just an example - I'm playing catch up on that game, as I didn't know any of the maps for the first week or two - now I'm easily being in the top few player every round I play, as I said, the gap is going to widen from now on and I get used to the game.

And again, I do all this with a crap optical mouse and at highest res/settings possible, because I value my visuals over framerate once it remains consistently above 25fps i.e smooth enough that skill is more a factor then any potential margin of responsiveness.

Who are you to tell me I'm not a 'real' gamer?

edit: that was meant to say 28-65 for CSS, not 28-35. But basically, the point being, once the minimum frame rate acheived was still above 25.

Last edited: Jan 14, 2008
  3. Psytek

Psytek Ancient Guru

GPU:
    2x 260 GTX 216 SLI
    The only things that really matters is the minimum framerate. If your avg fps is 200 but you get drops to 10, then the 200 is kind of immaterial, since you'll still have to turn something down to get smooth gameplay.

4. TheHunter

TheHunter Banned

GPU:
    MSi N570GTX TFIII [OC|PE]
    to op did you test cod 4 at 2 level, i can't remember the misson name but i know it was at night and on open fields and some trees and full of vegetation grass etc.., i know at first it was like around 50-90fps, but then a little later in an open field area it suddenly drops to like 25 fps in heavy combat but if i look a bit away its back to 60-70, wdf i really don't need a game like that.
    O and i saw it on youtube once not a while ago, someone posted some cod4 stutter, loool when he tried to bash the door and go inside the building it frezed for like 20sec... btw he did't have a crap pc
    its just this game being so ****ed up, and not poslihed as they told us it'll be.
    Not to mention current unreal3 engine games, some just stutter, some a little some more, but i think its a memory leak issue in unreal engine cuz, why would it sutter in such obvious scenarious?, when the memory should be released properly and no fps drops, but in stead it stutters, Area51 for example, when a new scene loads it stutters to 1,2 fps for like 2-4 sec and it goes back again, lol not to mention GOW, but here it sutters for a sec when some enemies show or something is about to happen. Also in Stranglehold some minor sutters time to time, but good fps here... and yea in MOH-Airborne too, some strange stutters time to time...and all these are unreal3 engine based games.

5. meatfestival92

meatfestival92 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Geforce 9800 GTX @ 815/2078/1180
    I don't get how they can make CoD4 run at 60fps on the consoles, but even on PCs with hardware 2-3 times more power, it drops below 60 frequently

6. Hyvry1

Hyvry1 Maha Guru

GPU:
    980m 8GB
    Mainly because the PC version has better graphics. Higher resolution etc..

7. meatfestival92

meatfestival92 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Geforce 9800 GTX @ 815/2078/1180
    The Xbox 360 version runs at 1024x600, 2xAA with the detail equivalent to high settings on the PC. A PC with an 8800GTX should be able to run the game at a much higher resolution without dropping below 60fps, but it still does.

8. *Rogue*

*Rogue* Master Guru

GPU:
    GTX260 OC 216
    You seem to forget that when they code for Consoles they do so in the knowledge that all the hardware will be the same and as such can optimise the code specifically for it .... Unfortunately due to the mind boggling amount of combinations of hardware that they have to code for with Pc's it will never be quite as optimised... However Pc versions more than often give more than the Console variant i.e. higher resolutions, more detail, extra levels etc that make up for it

9. ViolentOpposition

ViolentOpposition Master Guru

GPU:
    PALIT GTX 570
    The graphics engine in COD4 is heavily reliant on the lighting engine. The Textures used in the game are very low poly. Check out how the game looks in "UNLIT" mode. You can Google how easy it is to turn on cheats to enable this render mode.

That helps it run well, and it still looks pretty good.

10. LifeForce

LifeForce Master Guru

GPU:
    Nvidia 8800 Ultra SLI
    Alright, I have made a bit of a photo account of whats going on:

http://vgcity.com/~media/cod4/1.JPG
    http://vgcity.com/~media/cod4/2.JPG
    http://vgcity.com/~media/cod4/3.JPG
    http://vgcity.com/~media/cod4/4.JPG
    http://vgcity.com/~media/cod4/5.JPG
    http://vgcity.com/~media/cod4/6.JPG
    http://vgcity.com/~media/cod4/7.JPG

In screen 1, I am in the map Pipeline all by myself and turned away from a bulk of the level. As you can see I get a fairly heft rate. Then in screen 2, I turn around and it drops to 80 something. This isn't a bad score, of course not. But not a damn thing is going on, so if I were here in an map shooting at enemies, this would be an area id surely have a chance of dipping into the 50s.

Screenshot 3 is the first mission panning around the ship 73fps.

Screenshot 4 is one of the prime instances in the map where the rate dips, I don't have the time right now to go back, but it dipped into the low to mid 50s at this first part where you shoot at the enemies through the glass. I didnt catch that frame in the screen, but compared to the 90-100 I had a few seconds before it, its a nosedive.

Screenshot 5 - Running through the top of the ship it hovers in the low 60s even though theres no real action going on.

Screenshot 6 - The VERY beggining of the second mission, just standing.

Screenshot 7 - Shooting one guy, second mission very beggining. Nothing else is going on.

These are the types of things I see. When I am in the mp map I showed in the first couple pics, if I were to just start spraying my gun at nothing, the rate might drop quite a bit, and especially when i hit walls or cars it drops in the 60s or sometimes a little lower.

This is at 1680x1050 4xAA and 16AF.

That doesn't sound bad at all right? Well these things are happening with both my X6800 clocked to 3.46ghz and my video cards in SLI mode.

With just one Ultra and my X6800 at stock 2.93, you could minus anywhere from 10-20fps from any given situation I mentioned above. If I was in the 60s im most likely in the 50's dipping to 40s.

Is this a signal of a wider problem? I mean if I get this, that would have to mean most people with anything lower would be suffering the same if not worse.

This isn't mean complaining about not being able to enjoy COD4, I really am wondering if it isn't just this game now.

I mean, in WoW, every so often I will turn around and my frames will nosedive and shoot back up. My 3dmarks seem ok, but I am not too sure here.

The point of these screens is to show the rates I am getting with very little going on, and not exactly game high points.

11. AvengerUK

AvengerUK Master Guru

GPU:
    Titan X (Pascal) EK-WB
    With my rig i usually get around 60-80FPS @ 1680 x 1050 - all maxed except AF/AA - but if theres lots of smoke / cars exploding (that kind of thing) - i get a massive FPS Drop - i.e. down to 15/20 or so - is this also a common cod4 thing? - has been happening all the time (+ new XP install!)

12. GhostXL

GhostXL Ancient Guru

GPU:
    ASUS STRIX 2080 Ti
    Dunno but i get 60FPS vsync on the game maxed out, 16xAF 4xAA. No problems. It dips into the low 50's though on crowded servers with like 48+ People, and that is only when they are crammed into one area.