COD Performance on Radeon can be a Fickle Mistress

Discussion in 'Videocards - AMD Radeon Drivers Section' started by Eastcoasthandle, Sep 11, 2021.

1. Banana4Nanners

Banana4Nanners Member Guru

GPU:
    6800XT
    1:1 is standard always has been forever, Gear 2 is half ratio 1:2 that's why the latency is so high

2. Eastcoasthandle

Eastcoasthandle Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Nitro 5700 XT
    [​IMG]
    Above is 21.7.2 Driver at 1440p same settings

[​IMG]
    Above is 21.9.1 Driver at 1440p with SAM enabled. Same settings
    :D

I'm just wondering why the fps is lower though. o_O

3. Michael Lange

Michael Lange Member

GPU:
    Navi
    However, this does not look like "same settings".

4. Eastcoasthandle

GPU:
    Nitro 5700 XT
    I am not sure why but it appears since the update the LOD is different. Nothing I can do on my end to fix it. I have object view distance set to high.

[​IMG]

It would appear that if I tab out and move a file around (IE: jpegs from folder to desktop) the FPS would spike up. Once I go back into the game. Not sure what the heck that's all about. But it seems to stick after that once I exit and restart the game.

Another thing, Display Color Enhancement: Vivid Gaming (which I always used) appears to be borked. Instead of my desktop getting more saturated/vibrant it gets pale/lighter.

Last edited: Sep 18, 2021

5. Eastcoasthandle

GPU:
    Nitro 5700 XT
    Ok, it appears that the reason for the performance regression in Cold War is do to these updates that have no information on them.

I just got an update today, as usual. But when I started the game the menu was at around 144FPS. I have in game menu set to something else. So, I went into the graphics settings and realized that vsync was enabled. Now, I know I didn't enable vsync, not intentionally nor by accident. So, I disabled it and still noticed my menu fps cap wasn't working. So I went to Customize my fps. And realized it was indeed still set to were I had it before.

So, I played a few matches and realize now, after all this time, I'm getting well over 220+ FPS at 1440p again. Peaking close to 280 FPS at times. So it does appear to me that these updates are playing a role.

[​IMG]

6. Eastcoasthandle

GPU:
    Nitro 5700 XT
    Ok, there is more to this saga.
    It appears that the Graphics settings get fubar'd after a few updates. So you have to reset it.
    I notice that none of my changes were taking effect. After a brief wait on a reset everything started working again.