COD Modern Warfare2 Crash !!!!

Discussion in 'Games, Gaming & Game-demos' started by nelsonica2007, Nov 11, 2009.

1. Year

Year Ancient Guru

GPU:
    EVGA GTX 690
    that's why i said "it could be" not that "it is", i know a friend who had a very weird issue and it was the PSU indeed.

he ran Crysis, COJ2, RE5, Stalker perfectly, but FarCry 1 and 2, Grid, GTA4 and ARMA would not run stable for more than 2 minutes without either crashing or BSOD, otherwise everything else seemed perfect, desktop usage was stable and nothing out of the ordinary except the games i mentioned would just crash no matter what.

lo and behold he removed the 700w psu and gave him an old 650w psu (lesser than what he had), the games that used to crash did not crash anymore, i left the psu for a week before he went out and bought an Corsair 800w psu and again everything worked great.

so remember, just because something works does not mean it's working as it should, some games seem more sensitive than others, i have no idea why but its true.

again i'm not saying his psu IS faulty, but it could be.

2. nelsonica2007

nelsonica2007 Active Member

GPU:
    2x1080ti
    I will wait until ATI releases the new drivers and if it still not working i will buy another psu :(
    I have tried everything else and still nothing.
    I run now only one 5870, no external sound card, i have installed all the drivers that support the 5870 and still nothing :(

3. Year

Year Ancient Guru

GPU:
    EVGA GTX 690
    i'm fairly sure it's just a matter of Drivers and how they work on your system, but if after a release or so the problem remains and you made sure that you tried everything else and failed, then a new psu should be tried or ordered.

maybe borrow one from a friend for a couple of hours if you can? :banana:

4. nelsonica2007

GPU:
    2x1080ti
    I can not get a psu now... i will have to wait for the drivers first. does somebody have a idea when they will come out? Where can i donwload the latest beta drivers? I have 9.11beta but somebody said there are many versions of the 9.11beta drivers.

5. nelsonica2007

GPU:
    2x1080ti
    i started the game in safe mode, i played 5 minutes and then i changed the resolutin up to 1920x1200 the game loaded and then the computer restarted !!! is it the psu or the drivers?

6. IchimA

IchimA Maha Guru

GPU:
    G1 1070
    It's the drivers for sure ! I have a 4850 ( single ) and I use a brand new Cooler Master M850 W ... so It's ATI foult tjhis time ... or IW ! ... The problem is that i tried the game , played for 2 hours and the frame was hitting 45 max ... so I decidet to try new drivers ( I was on 9.7 ) .. tried 9.8 , 9.9 , 9.10 ... and nothing ... decided to try the 9.7 again ... and NOTHING ! .... Hope this is resolved soon or I am going back to nvidia :( or sue Infinity Wards ! ... Keep me posted with a PM if you find a solution ...

7. InfDaMarvel

InfDaMarvel Ancient Guru

GPU:
    HD3850 256mb
    try playing the game with one card.

8. korn666

korn666 Master Guru

GPU:
    GTX 295
    it could be the PSU or your graphics card may be dying

9. E.J.Smith

E.J.Smith Master Guru

GPU:
    EVGA GeForce Titan
    I've had an intereting experience since installing MW2. I'm running the 64-bit version of Windows 7. I couldn't get it to run at all first finding that it would freeze and lag horribly in the SP version. I thought about changing to a different driver from the 191.07 WHQL I'm currently using but ultimately decided not to. After creating an Nvidia driver control panel profile for the game and setting everything on application-controlled, the game runs better. I also turned off my page file as suggested in another post. The game continued to run fine. I'm still toying with the page file concept since a few other games and apps on my system don't seem to start-up without the page file.

10. nelsonica2007

GPU:
    2x1080ti
    When the game crashes the exe. file of the game is not responding : iw4sp
    i have now in the computer only one 5870, no external sound card, default cpu settings and still i can not play the game :( it is hard to belive it is the psu ....

11. texasrattler

texasrattler Master Guru

GPU:
    EVGA GTX670 2GB FTW
    You do realize that alot of the time when you get a .exe file that's related to the game and your overclocking, the oc is causing a problem. Make sure no oc is being done, not just the cpu, any oc.
    TechSpot just did a review of 18 video cards. ATI and nVidia worked well with the game. nVidia did fair better in the end but mainly running at the highest resolution like 2500x1600.

Since your card is very new and MW2 just came out, ATI may need to get a new driver out to help with any issues.

12. IchimA

IchimA Maha Guru

GPU:
    G1 1070
    As I have stated also earlyer this is not a computer foult ! I try to run the game with no OC - NONE ! and the same ... computer is good and stable but the game needs a patch and this very SOON ! ... I will try tonight with the 9.4 and 9.5 ... and I will try the no page file method also ! ...
    C'mon ... the game does not luck that great to me ... the multiplayer is low and very poor ... but I payed for it and I want to play it ! IW needs to deliver a patch or ATI a new driver ... FACE IT !

13. nelsonica2007

GPU:
    2x1080ti
    My computer has all it`s settings to default so there is no oc.

14. texasrattler

texasrattler Master Guru

GPU:
    EVGA GTX670 2GB FTW
    Game needs a patch cause YOU have a problem? Maybe there is a specific problem that you have but when that patch comes, doesn't mean it'll be fixed.

Alot of ppl are playing just fine without any problems including me. It could be the game or it could be your computer. You can't really say it's either till you figure out more things or wait and see if any patches or drivers come out that will help you.
    You may need to find someone out there with a similar system as yours and see if they got problems. Try posting in other forums, like the IW forum.

If the game seems bad to you, then don't play. Go return it and either get your money back or take store credit.
    There's nothing to face other than you may not know your system all that well.

15. IchimA

IchimA Maha Guru

GPU:
    G1 1070
    Whell .. .the OP has the same problem as me no ? ... I also want to go to IW forum but I don't get an activition acount on the email ... so I wait ! As I have mentioned ... I have played the game for 2 hours and then tried to install some new drivers ... and what do you know ... IT HANGS ... tryed to roll back to the original drivers ... the same problem ... I will have this issue resolved in the weekend ... as I don't have time right now

16. hirmak

hirmak Master Guru

GPU:
    GTX285
    I had the same problem and made AA 4 to AA 2 and now I don't have any problem.It seems the Engine doesn't like more than 2x AA,but of course it's my personal idea

17. s88urd

s88urd Master Guru

GPU:
    Vega 56
    Ive had CTD (crash to desktop) with directX errors, "unable to allocate memory" errors, etc etc
    Only happened a couple of times though but is annoying

18. korben

korben Member Guru

GPU:
    ATIHD4890 1GB @850:975
    I have the same problem

Hey yall,

I have the same problem as the OP. I can start the game and after about 5 minutes of SP or MP the game just freezes and my computer locks up. I know everyone is pointing to various things and OC'ing seems to be a majority vote. I have my CPU OC'ed and my 4890 OC'ed but here is the weird part.

I followed these instructions which seem to be posted on many websites if you google "MW2 crashes". After following these instructions I can play the game for hours and hours, with my CPU and GPU OC'ed. Does this help narrow down the culprit? I was able to play the game for hours before and after updating my 4890 drivers by using this process below. I do not like turning off my Antivirus and other programs just to play 1 game but this seems to work perfectly. Any help would be appreciated, the instructions are copied below.

Thanks,
    Korben

19. nelsonica2007

GPU:
    2x1080ti
    Solution #1: (By Activision Support)

All background applications should be shut down prior to running the game.

1) Go to the Start bar and select Run. (If you are on Vista or Windows 7, hit the Windows key and the R key at the same time)
    2) In the Run window, type in msconfig and hit enter.
    3) Once the utility comes up, go to the Startup tab and hit the Disable All button.
    4) Next go to the Services tab and check the “Hide All Microsoft Services” checkbox and then hit the Disable All button.
    5) Hit the OK button and close the utility, and restart your computer when prompted to.

I did all that and still nothing, the game crashes. when i start the game it remains blocked for 1 min or so then it runs. i can play the game at max 1024x768 , if i put the resolution up to 1920x1200 the computer reboots after 1 min. !!!

20. Redemption80

Redemption80 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GALAX 970/ASUS 970
    Your computer is too good for it, its optimised for old systems :)

Seriously though, i had the same problem, would run fine for about 10mins, then would shut down on me, overclocked or not.
    Changed driver and its fine though.

Do think it is very sensitive to overclocks though, CPU and GPU.