COD MD2 game crash

Discussion in 'Videocards - NVIDIA GeForce' started by leeds51, Nov 12, 2009.

1. leeds51

leeds51 New Member

GPU:
    geforce 8800gt
    Not sure if anyone can help but my pc crashes after 15 mins of play. Here are my pc specs.

Vista ultimate 64 bit running Amd Athlon 64x2 dual core 5000+ with freezer xtreme cooling fan
    8 Gig of ram
    Nvidia geforce 8800 gt
    Gigabyte GA-M720-US3 AMD Nvidia 720D Socket AM2+ 7.1 channel audio ATX Motherboard
    Does my G card need a better fan?
    Thanks for any help

Last edited: Nov 12, 2009
  2. Elite Bushido™

Elite Bushido™ Maha Guru

GPU:
    GTX 480 SLI
    what kind of crash?
    like it goes to the desktop? does your comp reset?
    also we coudlnt really say to get a better fan because we dont know what the temps are

3. leeds51

leeds51 New Member

GPU:
    geforce 8800gt
    Temps hitting over 70 and comp either trys to reboot or game freeze then I have to reboot

4. Mr_Alexander

Mr_Alexander Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GYGABYTE 3080ti
    1. What set of drivers are you using? Did you try another set with clean install with Driver sweeper?
    2. What about other games? Do you have the same happening or just COD MW2?
    70C for your card is normal on full load.

5. E.J.Smith

E.J.Smith Master Guru

GPU:
    EVGA GeForce Titan
    The success stories with COD MW2 are hit and miss judging by this forum and the IW board. Some call it "flawless," others can't get get it to work.

I'm running the game on Windows 7 64-bit and it took several trial-and-error sessions and I'm still not confident that it will run every time I start it up. What appears to be working for me is rolling back my GPU overclock and creating a dedicated profile in the Nvidia Control Panel, setting everything at application-controlled. I would start with more conservative settings within the game to see how the game responds. The game also has some memory managment issues, at least from my experience. Try limiting the number of background apps you have going while you're running the game.

6. leeds51

leeds51 New Member

GPU:
    geforce 8800gt
    Had the same prob with the last COD to thats why I brought a cooling fan. My driver was from the disc, I will try Driver sweeper and get back to you thanks for the help.

7. Mr_Alexander

GPU:
    GYGABYTE 3080ti
    Try these two sets. 186.91 and 191.66. Both look very stable for a lot of people. Also as someone mention before this game does not like over clocked cards on some systems.

8. leeds51

leeds51 New Member

GPU:
    geforce 8800gt

I would not have a clue how to over clock lol and sorry for being dumb but what are 186.91 and 191.66?

9. Mr_Alexander

GPU:
    GYGABYTE 3080ti
    Ok. I will guide you trough. Do the steps one by one and after we will test some games.
    1. Download driver 186.91 from here
    http://downloads.guru3d.com/ForceWare-186.91-WHQL-Win-7-|-Vista-(64-bit)-download-2366.html
    This is VISTA 64. Forgot to ask which one you have?
    2. Download driver sweeper from here
    http://downloads.guru3d.com/Guru3D---Driver-Sweeper-(Setup)-download-1655.html
    3. Download phisx from here
    http://downloads.guru3d.com/nVIDIA-PhysX-System-Software-9.09.0814-download-2354.html

While you are doing this I will type next steps for you.

10. leeds51

leeds51 New Member

GPU:
    geforce 8800gt
    Vista ultimate, just waiting for my m8 to go home then I will turn my pc on and follow your steps

11. Mr_Alexander

GPU:
    GYGABYTE 3080ti
    4. Run downloaded setup file for driver sweeper it will install Driver sweeper on your machine.
    5. Go to Control panel>futures and programs and see if you have Nvidia Physx in the list. If you have highlited it and click uninstall.

12. Mr_Alexander

GPU:
    GYGABYTE 3080ti
    Ultimate is good but is it 32 o64 bit?

13. leeds51

leeds51 New Member

GPU:
    geforce 8800gt
    64 bit so I could use more ram

14. Mr_Alexander

GPU:
    GYGABYTE 3080ti
    6. Go to control panel> Device manager> Display adapters
    Right click on the adapter and choose uninstall and put check mark in the box "delete". You will be asked to reboot so do so and during reboot hit F8 and shoose "Safe mod" from the menu and bott in the safe Mod.
    In the safe mod run the driver sweeper program and put two check marsk in the fields NVIDIA display adapter and NVIDIA physx. Now click clean. Now confirm and say yes to reboot.
    Reboot normally and go to folder where you saved 186.91 driver and install it.
    Reboot again and after go to folder where you saved NVIDIA physx and install it.
    Now go to NVIDIA control panel choose the right resolution and leave all game profiles on aplication control for now.

Now time to try the game.

15. Mr_Alexander

GPU:
    GYGABYTE 3080ti
    one more important thing you need before doing all this go to control panel and disable automatick hardware drivers update

16. leeds51

leeds51 New Member

GPU:
    geforce 8800gt
    Thanks for your time, just turned on my pc and will follow your step by step and get back to you. Thanks again Jasen

17. Mr_Alexander

GPU:
    GYGABYTE 3080ti
    No problem. Few months ago I got my computer and I was the same as you. Thanks to people on this forums I learned a lot.

Do not forget. Disable auto drivers update otherwise it will install some random drivers before you do anything.

18. leeds51

leeds51 New Member

GPU:
    geforce 8800gt
    Thought it had worked first map was fine then 5 mins into the 2nd map game crashed and pc. I will have to try another G card then at least then I can count that out if it crashes again.

19. Mr_Alexander

GPU:
    GYGABYTE 3080ti
    You can also try your card in some friend computer if you have a chance. If does the same you need the new card.
    As a next step I would try and check your memory with memtest86. See if you get any errors.