Clueless

Discussion in 'Videocards - NVIDIA GeForce' started by Frohman0905, Jun 19, 2008.

1. Frohman0905

Frohman0905 Master Guru

GPU:
    GTX680 2GB OC @ 1202/7000
    Ok I will probably buy a new motherboard but I did some googling and found this description of what certain beeps mean:

AMI BIOS ERROR BEEP CODES
    1 Beep (No video) Memory refresh failure Bad memory
    2 Beeps Memory parity error Bad memory
    3 Beeps Base 64K mem failure Bad memory
    4 Beeps Timer not operational Bad motherboard
    5 Beeps Processor error Bad processor
    6 Beeps 8042 Gate A20 failure Bad CPU or Motherboard
    7 Beeps Processor exception Bad processor
    8 Beeps Video memory error Bad video card or memory
    9 Beeps ROM checksum error Bad BIOS
    10 Beeps CMOS checksum error Bad motherboard
    11 Beeps Cache memory bad Bad CPU or motherboard

Now I don't know if this describes the beeps when you boot your computer or while it is gaming. According to this list I have bad memory, since my pc freezes while gaming and then I hear one short beep and after a few seconds I get a black screen.

2. gx-x

gx-x Ancient Guru

GPU:
    1070Ti Phoenix
    :O those are service beeps and are heard only when you turn on your computer and get no picture on monitor ;)

One short beep that you hear is regular beep when computer is is booting up, just before the POST screen (one that tells you name and make of CPU, speed, memory size, what HDD's you have etc.) but after the beep you should get that post screen.
    Your windows is automaticly restarting and after restart you hear beep and don't get the post screen, so you have to manualy restart again. This is not normal, and indicates that something is wrong (which you already know :) )

3. Frohman0905

Frohman0905 Master Guru

GPU:
    Thanks for the information.
    No that's not how it happens. When I'm running the atitool stress test for example, the pc freezes after 30 seconds or so. So there's a picture with sound running in the background. After 5 seconds I hear one short beep and the screen flashes one time. It keeps on flashing every 2 seconds or so and then I get a black screen. After a few seconds the computer just reboots.

4. Frohman0905

Frohman0905 Master Guru

GPU:
    This is just unbelievable. I had noticed that I didn't have the latest bios. I had the 2.50 bios instead of the 2.60 bios. So I went to the asrock website and downloaded the latest bios. There is a step by step guide on the asrock website that tells you how to update it. I have followed the exact same steps that were mentioned there. The update worked so I decided to do some gaming. Before the bios update I had good fps in cod4 but it crashed after 5 minutes of gaming. Now I have REALLY BAD fps. It went from 60fps to 20fps. UNBELIEVABLE! I then downloaded and installed the latest whql driver from nvidia and nothing changed. So now my decision is final. This motherboard goes out and a new one (not asrock of course) will be installed.

Now because this motherboard gave me troubles from day one and the asrock support was so bad, I have decided to destroy this motherboard and capture it on film. I then will send the movie to asrock to show them how much I enjoyed having their product. Anyone has suggestions on how to destroy it?

5. gx-x

gx-x Ancient Guru

GPU:
    1070Ti Phoenix
    Good man ! Hammer time ! :D

6. stalkerfan

stalkerfan Master Guru

GPU:
    GeForce 1070
    Fire up the BBQ and show them the only way anyone will describe their mobo as "smokin' " :)

Last edited: Jun 25, 2008
  7. xBeldin

xBeldin Master Guru

GPU:
    eVGA 8800GT 512MB / Zalman VF1000
    RMA it, but **** in the box.

8. Frohman0905

Frohman0905 Master Guru

GPU:
    LOL good suggestions! Keep them coming!

9. Postalisback

Postalisback Ancient Guru

GPU:
    MSI GTX 760 TwinFrozr 2GB
    Heh, I want to do the same with this mobo :p

10. Frohman0905

Frohman0905 Master Guru

GPU:
    Ok I maybe have found the cause of it but I am not sure, that's why I'm asking it. When my Asus A8V-E Deluxe died, the guy in the computer shop told me that I had some bad sectors on my IDE hard drive. He said I could reformat it and that it should work. So I did that and installed xp on it. Today I had the error again but now I have put my ear against the computer to hear where the beep comes from. It came from one of the hard drives. Could it be that I get these problems because of that IDE hard drive? If you have one bad IDE hard drive in your pc, can it affect the performance of the other hard drive which is S-ATA?

11. BlackZero

BlackZero Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RX Vega
    Download hdtune and do a thorough check on your hdds, as for performance well it depends if the harddrives need to communicate such as when you have a page file on one and your os on the other.

12. Frohman0905

Frohman0905 Master Guru

GPU:
    Will do! Yes, actually they communicate. Sometimes when I'm on vista, I need something that is installed in xp on my other hdd and then I access it through vista. I really hope this is the problem!

13. Frohman0905

Frohman0905 Master Guru

GPU:
    :bang::bang::bang:

It isn't the hard drive. I just took out my IDE hard drive and only inserted my S-ATA hard drive and my pc still freezes! Well, it looks like I have to keep on buying stuff until it is solved. I know nobody who has a powerful enough pc to test my hardware. I'm gonna start by buying a new mobo and cpu cooler. That's all I can afford now. If that doesn't solve things, I'm gonna buy new ram. If that doesn't solve it, I'm gonna buy a new gpu cooler. If that doesn't solve it, new psu. I have a feeling that it will be a long time until I can play games.
    I am so sick of it. I have spent more than 2000 euros on upgrades for this computer to solve the problems I had with this piece of ****. It has given me problems since the day I bought it 4 YEARS AGO! In all these years, there has been maybe 2 weeks that it worked the way it should. I study programming right now and I need my computer to do my home work but I also need some games to relax after the studying but when I'm not studying, I'm cursing behind my computer to see that pc freeze every time when I'm playing games. **** you microsoft, **** you nvidia!

14. gx-x

gx-x Ancient Guru

GPU:
    1070Ti Phoenix
    Why don't you take it to some PC service ? They have extra parts to test with and make a diagnostic. You will pay them, but it should be less money than buying all the components yourself...

PS. Wait, did you change that ASRock or do you still use it ? If you haven't bought a new mobo yet, for crying out loud do so, and FAST ! Don't try to solve anything with that A$$Rock int he case :)

15. Frohman0905

Frohman0905 Master Guru

GPU:
    I'm still using it but I'm doubting between my psu and mobo. I think I'm first going to change my mobo to see if that's the problem. Also, there aren't a lot pc services where I live. And those that are here ask a lot of money. In the beginning, when I didn't know much about computer hardware (it was the time of the x800 series and 6800 series). I went to the computer store and that "expert" said that he would built me a nice gaming computer. Off course, prices here in Belgium are very expensive! So actually I spent a lot of money on things that were overpriced. Also, the hardware he put into my computer sucked! Since then, I don't trust those computer shops anymore. If they know that you don't know much about computers, they will **** you.

16. snip3r_3

snip3r_3 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    You said that your friend lives a few miles from your place and has a GTS320, test out your GTX and ram in his computer (and cpu if his is system is AM2). If all of them work properly, test his PSU in your computer, if it works, dump the motherboard (or just RMA it) get a new one and hopefully have better luck with your new stuff :)

Computer stores usually look at who you are, if you know your stuff, they don't do too much 'cheating', if you look like you don't know anything, you just get ripped off like heck. Happened to my friends parents once, what they got for the money they paid was..... you understand.

17. gx-x

gx-x Ancient Guru

GPU:
    1070Ti Phoenix
    OCZ 600W is a fine PSU.

As for servicies - they are like that, I know. I work with some of them here :p Just change the mobo ;)

18. Frohman0905

Frohman0905 Master Guru

GPU:
    I can't test my 8800gtx at that friend's house because it won't fit in his case. He uses intel so I can't test my cpu. I also don't really believe it's my psu because it's also a few months old and a high quality psu but it's still possible of course. I also ran memtest on each module and I get no errors. I also tried each module in the other ram slots and ran game benchmarks with 1 module installed and both of them gave me a bsod.

I think I'm gonna order the Gigabyte GA-MA770-DS3. It has pci-e 2.0, amd quad core support, FireWire and DDR2-1066 support. Is this a good mobo?

19. Football Fan

Football Fan Member

GPU:
    Palit gtx260 sonic OC
    You can check one thing "on your own eyes" but i might not be able to explain it in english perfectly :)
    Ok, on your motherboard you have many condensers/capacitors, i suspect you know what it its but i write anyway. They are kind of small round tubes which has small cross on top of it. Sometimes, usually when motherboard is old or this parts are made poorly they can swell on top to the point where liquid from inside is coming out. When it happens it means the board is finishing, you can replace them with new condensers but it could be costly and simply not worth it. Check your motherboard condensers if what i wrote is happening to you its definetly it. My old msi board died this way, computer was working but it had freezes and resets in windows and gaming, new part fixed the problem

20. Frohman0905

Frohman0905 Master Guru

GPU:
    Thanks I'll take a look at it! Your english is not that bad. I understood every word of it.

Last edited: Jun 30, 2008