ClockTuner for Ryzen (CTR) - and introduction guide and download

Discussion in 'Processors and motherboards AMD' started by Hilbert Hagedoorn, Sep 29, 2020.

1. Nick T

Nick T New Member

GPU:
    Asus RTX 2070S
    Average 3900X with 240mm push pull AIO liquid cooler
    Aorus Master X570 kept the bios changes recommended for CTR 1.0
    4X8GB Patriot Viper 4133Mhz BDie @ 3600Mhz CL15

After running CTR 1.1
    Cinebench dropped 20 points but Prime95 was flawless
    My first successful 24hrs+ P95 test in the 6mo I owned this CPU
    Stressed 23/24 threads with a blend of all tests
    I never saw the temp raise above 60C @ 4.35Ghz 1.25V
    Uninstall has been my only issue. I have to boot into safe mode to delete the CTR directory fully
    Don't know if that was resolved in 1.1

prime.jpg CTR.png

2. Adam Honved

Adam Honved Active Member

GPU:
    ASUS TUF 3080 Ti
    Hi,

I have Asus B550-F and had the same issue with previous version. Didn't try the new one yet!

3. waltc3

waltc3 Maha Guru

GPU:
    AMD 50th Ann 5700XT
    Uninstall? That shouldn't be a problem as the program doesn't actually write anything (except Appdata\local\Nemisis_Ulv2)--When I click the "autoload profile with OS" button and it turns gray, and then I reboot, my normal clock settings are restored, and my overclocking profiles are not invoked unless I run the program again, go to profiles, and apply the overclocking profile.

The reason you have to go into safe mode to delete the CTR directory is because you haven't booted the system with the "autoload profile with OS" button turned off (grayed out.) You have it turned on so every time you boot CTR runs automatically.

Last edited: Oct 19, 2020
    Nick T likes this.
  4. waltc3

waltc3 Maha Guru

GPU:
    AMD 50th Ann 5700XT
    OK, I have to say that 1.1 is on the whole a lot more buggy than I found 1.0 b3. The one time the program ran and completed the START sequence to actually lower the voltage and set the clock, I would up with a tuned result that was lower than my nomal result...;) This did not happen with 1.0b3.

So I remembered my profile CCX clocks from 1.0b3 and put those in and applied them and they worked just fine in 1.1 glad to say...;) Then I just worked with that profile and reached my "sweet" settings for 1300mV maximum voltage, CCX 1 & 2: 4375Mhz; CCX's 3 & 4: 4225Mhz. It's wild that it runs so much faster but yet cooler, too, as 1.3v is the max for the CPU. Nice...!

5. MattyAu

MattyAu New Member

GPU:
    Galax RTX 2060 Supe
    1.1 Worked great for me with my Asrock B550M Steel Legend (previous versions failed), had to use 'Enhance Accuracy' or my PC would crash during the test. One issue I do have is; CTR doesn't load my profile when starting up, even comes up with a message saying 'CTR profile not loaded'. Have to go in to profile, click update and then apply for it to work for me.
    I managed to crash the program (and PC) trying to figure it out and now CTR won't open.

6. Thelgow

Thelgow Member

GPU:
    GTX 1070
    I didnt see a folder in appdata like that, I did find this one that looked odd and turned out to be CTR,
    \AppData\Local\A\CTR.exe_Url_2kag1cypnetmh0x0hmibvcmfnnhcpmso\1.0.0.0
    Similar to me, CTR launches on reboot however it gives that error "Profiles are not used : )". Sadly the Apply button is also still grayed out. I have to click Update profile first, then it will let me apply it. *shrug*

7. MattyAu

MattyAu New Member

GPU:
    Galax RTX 2060 Supe
    Exact same issue I'm having.

8. Efreeti

Efreeti Member

GPU:
    EVGA 3080 FTW3Ultra
    I still can't get through a full run-through of CTR, even with LLC set to Level 5, the maximum setting. I get 0% Vdroop and get much further, I think I got to Stress Test #2 of Step 14 this last time, using "Enhance Accuracy", but it still crashes/resets my computer.

I have tried running CTR at least 12 times now, I still haven't been able to get through it all the way a single time. Diagnostic and stability checks don't indicate anything is wrong

I have a X570 board and a "Silver sample" 3900X. CPU temperature never goes above 53 C during the stress tests, and with the current LLC setting I get 0% Vdroop during stress tests too.

I don't know what else I can do.

9. MattyAu

MattyAu New Member

GPU:
    Galax RTX 2060 Supe
    Have you tried it with Enhanced Accuracy enabled? Mine always crashed until I enabled it.

10. Efreeti

Efreeti Member

GPU:
    EVGA 3080 FTW3Ultra
    I just edited my post. Yes, this last run where I got to Step 14 was with "Enhance Accuracy" enabled, and I have also used it in most previous runs since v1.1.

11. INSTG8R

INSTG8R Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Nitro+ 5700XT
    I’ve yet to have it not crash/reboot despite testing it with higher voltage and I ran to 4475 before crashing so I was right raising the voltage so then I set the max to 4425 hoping to finally finish a run, nope crashed on the last test at 4f425. I wish it would restart after reboot I mean shouldn’t be where it falls be the “limit” and set the tube accordingly? I have yet to find a way to make it actually finish seems any limit I get past or set it crashes at it. I mean what good is my Golden Sample if I can’t get it to finish or even know what criteria it’s using to actually finish...

Efreeti likes this.
  12. shazzagraz

shazzagraz New Member

GPU:
    Sapphire RX 5700XT
    Took three attempts, but I eventually got through a run without it crashing and was able to apply the profile. Decent improvement in Cinebench score; default 4548, tuned 4996. I'm pleased with that.

Couple of questions regarding the option to autoload profile with OS. I would've thought that enabling this setting would do just that, auto load the profile on Windows boot, however it seems that I need to manually launch CTR for it to apply the profile. Is this normal behaviour for everyone else as well, or do I need to somehow force CTR to start with Windows in order for this feature to work?
    It also seems like it will only work when I sign in to my user account, but I'd like the OC to apply globally for all users. I feel like the best workaround would be to apply these settings in the bios, is this a fair assumption? And then would that be as simple as setting the two CCX frequencies and CPU voltage? I'm comfortable with changing bios settings but by no means am I an expert so I don't want to go stuffing things up.

3700x
    MSI Tomahawk B450 Max

13. chaosophy

chaosophy Member

GPU:
    AMD RX Vega 64
    Same issue for me, Aorus Pro, 3900X.

I've tried various combinations of settings, both in the tool and in BIOS, and it just hard power resets the PC every time.
    All I've managed to achieve is to get it to give different sample reports and to crash at slightly different places.
    I mainly get Silver sample, though at differing oc/uv levels suggested and one time it even suggested I have a Gold sample!
    I can nearly always get it to do a diag run but it never completes the actual test run, though have had it reboot during the diag run, depending on BIOS settings.
    It's in built stability test passed fine, I can game for hours, have run various mem tests etc, left Prime95 running blend tests for ~8 hours over night, nothing else I have tried has hard reset the PC like CTR. :/

There are results on the google doc spreadsheets that show people with same/similar setups as me, so it works for some, though there are some odd looking results on there.

I think there's either some really odd BIOS setting I'm missing, really bad luck with my h/w or a PSU issue but again, nothing else I've run has been able to trigger this issue. :(

@1usmus , are there any stability stress tests you can recommend to run outside of CTR that you would recommend to help satisfy or not that the PC is generally stable before attempting CTR?

INSTG8R likes this.
  14. Thelgow

Thelgow Member

GPU:
    GTX 1070
    Funny, I decide to kick off diagnostic again before bed just out of curiosity since I tweaked some memory timings. I check on it, 8 hours of sitting on Stress test 1...
    Manual overclocking mode enabled
    23:00:50: CCX1 (116): 4050 MHz, 1300 mV
    23:00:50: CCX2 (127): 4050 MHz, 1300 mV
    23:00:50: Step# 1. Diagnostic VID: 1300 mV
    23:00:50: Stress test started...
    -Its now 06:50am.

15. NightWind

NightWind Master Guru

GPU:
    Asus ROG 2060 Super
    That's some really stable o.c. :D

daghtus likes this.

16. M4xweLL

M4xweLL New Member

GPU:
    MSI GTX 1070 GAMING
    Hi, good morning, I have a problem, the CTR runs automatically with the task manager, but the CTR doesn't set the autoload profile and I have to set the profile on every reboot, any ideas? Thank a lot

17. Heavens

Heavens New Member

GPU:
    Radeon 5700XT
    As there seem to be quite a few people having issues with reboots/crashes I'll share my experience of about 12 runs with CTR 1.1:

My 3900X can run the following stable:
    CCX 1: 4475
    CCX 2: 4475
    CCX 3: 4250
    CCX 4: 4250

Now when I fire up CTR 1.1 it's a 50% chance that the tool tries to push CCX 3/4 above 4300 MHz which it can't handle no matter the voltage.
    It seems that the new stress test doesn't cause to fail bad OCs as much as the old one did, it keeps upping the frequency until it randomly reboots.
    Following things I've noticed:
    • 1200 and 1225mV are fine, they drop threads eventually around 4250-4275
    • 1250mV is sketchy, sometimes it works (<4300MHz) and sometimes it doesn't (everytime 4300 passes and he jumps to 4325)
    • Anything above 1250mV is a 100% crash
    For the people having issues I recommend playing around with the reference voltage, if you crash at 1250 try 1225 or even 1200, worst case revert back to CTR 1.0 for now.
    The other option would be to manually OC via Ryzen Master.

18. Roccer

Roccer Ancient Guru

GPU:
    EVGA 2080Ti XC ULTR
    what are your reference voltages (changes settings from basic to advanced to see) set to? what is your reference frequency set to?

some things to try (not at the same time):
    • Lower the ref frequency by 100MHz
    • Raise your reference voltage by ~0.025v(but don't go over 1.3v to be safe)
    • ensure you have no voltage offsets applied in your BIOS
    with 1.0b3, i had to decrease my ref frequency by 100Mhz (to 4200MHz) to get stable at 1250mV. now with 1.1b3, my system appears stable at ref freq 4375MHz @ 1256mV.

19. Mufflore

Mufflore Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Aorus 3090 Xtreme
    That could be tricky ;)

daghtus and Roccer like this.
  20. Roccer

Roccer Ancient Guru

GPU:
    EVGA 2080Ti XC ULTR
    LOL. good catch. fixed! :D