ClockTuner for Ryzen (CTR) - and introduction guide and download

Discussion in 'Processors and motherboards AMD' started by Hilbert Hagedoorn, Sep 29, 2020.

1. Finrecon

Finrecon Member

GPU:
    ASUS R9 290x DCU II OC
    Seems like a good program, Thanks 1usmus for your hard work on it.

But i will have to wait for a few updates to make it work better for me. On the stress test phase it keeps crashing my pc (once during diagnostic) and i get no useful results.

PC specs:
    R9 3900x (silver bin according to ctr)
    4x8 gb 3600c15 ram
    Asus X570-E latest bios(2606/AGESA combo V2 PI 1.0.8.0) LLC3 vdroop around 0.9-1.5% depending on voltage setting

2. WhiskeyOmega

WhiskeyOmega Master Guru

GPU:
    RTX 3090 MSI GXT
    I did 1250 on mine. Ive seen people do more but I got 4425 CCX 1 2 and 4250 CCX3 and 4 from it. You also have to increase the EDC limit to 140 because you'll hit the EDC limit on the CB20 run on 1250.

3. ConfusedPanda

ConfusedPanda New Member

GPU:
    Asus Strix 5700XT
    Kind of confused here, guide says LLC Level 3 or 4 for Asus boards. Using Asus RoG Crosshair VII Hero x470, and R5 3600X, keeps spitting the message "There is a need to reduce LLC". I'm down to Level 3 now, and still getting it.

4. feegus

feegus Active Member

GPU:
    Rx 480
    Can anyone else please chime in on this? Dialing in these settings has no appreciable effect on gaming/normal use?

5. ryokoseigo

ryokoseigo New Member

GPU:
    2080ti
    No they are correct. You give up single threaded performance for this OC. The only way this will perform as well is if you can get either an all-core OC as high as your cpu's boost, or if you can get like 2 CCX's that high. But in virtually no perfect scenerio will you get higher fps in games.

6. feegus

feegus Active Member

GPU:
    Rx 480
    So then, whats the point?

7. Stalast

Stalast New Member

GPU:
    GTX 980 Ti
    I think it's genuinely very useful if you have a good sample, which is more likely if you bought a chip this year instead of last year. As @ryokoseigo said, if you can get a CCX or two equal or above your max boost clock, then you're golden. If not, you can still benefit from better multithreaded performance if you're a content creator. And even still, if all else fails, it's a tool that can make it super easy to undervolt to reduce temperatures (and thus fan noise).

fry178 likes this.
  8. Chastity

Chastity Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Nitro 5700 XT
    Depends, I can get a solid 4.4GHz manual OC on all cores w/o opening up thresholds, which is higher than my PBO results. (3600) Tho I would need to watch each core OC with PBO more than I have to verify.

9. waltc3

waltc3 Maha Guru

GPU:
    AMD 50th Ann 5700XT
    Well, I finally got into it a bit more and I can say that with the beta 2 patch it's quite a bit better--and running the diagnostics I can truthfully say it's the best tool I've ever seen for actually setting LLC. It's been great for that, actually. I would advise no one to try running the main program--the "start" button--until you've used the beta 2 software to run through the diagnostics and eliminated that "LLC needs to be raised"...or similar result in the tests. I got diagnostics to run without a single llC message, eventually, by following that instruction, and moving to the "high" LLC setting--medium wasn't enough and I kept seeing "LLC needs to be raised" until I went to the "high" setting. The actual main "start" overclocking program ran far better after that--it would eventually crash in beta 1; but in b2, with the diagnostics successfully cleared of all "llc too low"-like messages, it runs until it dies with clocks way up there. (Still trying to figure out exactly what I'm seeing here--some questions about that, for later.)

I'm on a GB Aorus Master, x570, bios F30, 3900X...if I use the "turbo" setting for LLC I get messages like this in the diagnostics: "try to soften LLC. If you see this message you may safely ignore it"....;) OK, now that's not entirely clear, if you take my meaning.

Anyway...once I used the diagnostics to select the correct LLC level, I like "high" or "turbo"--with "high" I get no error messages from the diagnostics--with "turbo" I get the "try to soften LLC but ignore this message"--the main program functions much better and seems to work as intended. However, from what I can see, the main value of this program so far is providing a really nice, methodical, repeatable way to investigate and properly set LLC. My preferred mode of operation is autoclocking with single-core boost running by default...I don't see much difference in overall performance between that mode and all-core overclocking sans single-core boost. I do notice however that with LLC set properly--before when looking at this variable I was just guessing--the CPU runs better than it did before in its default operation! I like that result, a lot, actually.

fry178 likes this.
  10. ylpkm

ylpkm New Member

GPU:
    Nvidia 1080ti
    On a 3900x cpu with a x570 phantom gaming x, bios 3.4, agesa should be Combo-AM4 V2 1.0.8.0 for this bios.
    BIOS update is required
    ***ClockTuner for Ryzen 1.0s by 1usmus***
    AMD Ryzen 9 3900X 12-Core Processor (870F10)
    ASRock X570 Phantom Gaming X
    BIOS ver. P3.40 SMU ver. 00.00.00
    DRAM speed 2133 MHz
    10/01/2020 20:33:03

Checking the system logs the culprit seems to be kernelbase.dll. I ran sfc and updated to an optional update that updated the kernelbase.dll file, still same issue. Cleared bios settings, tried changing values to no avail. ran .net fix tool, reinstalled ryzen master. Is there a fix, or is this potentially under the umbrella of a manufacturer motherboard issue 1usmus mentioned? or is the combo V2 not supported yet? (Google searched it, came across 1usmus twitter, said beta 3 should be released sometime soon, maybe that will fix it)

Last edited: Oct 2, 2020

11. fry178

fry178 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    2080S WaterForceWB
    @Vincent Vespa
    why are you using sleep/hibernation?
    its useless for desktops (consumes power and usually hw wont last as long), can possibly brick the system
    if it crashes because of brown/black out, and anyone running any ryzen cpu i expect to have a ssd, so boot times arent the issue either, and as shown adds another payer of possible problems.

Last edited: Oct 2, 2020
  12. Rodaxx

Rodaxx Active Member

GPU:
    XFX R9 290x DD
    1.png

So either my 3600 is crap or something else is pretty wrong with my system as my tuned score is even under average 3600 score

13. Max(IT)

Max(IT) Member

GPU:
    Zotac RTX3080 Holo
    It is working flawlessly for me, and I had a 7% gain in MT (and a 3% drop in ST), with better results in gaming (around 4/6 FPS more, depending on the game).
    I only have one concern. I had to raise EDC limit to 180A (I think CTR put it at 170A by default) to complete diagnostic and test.
    After applying the overclock everything is working fine and temperatures actually are lower, by 5° compared to stock, but sometimes I’m hitting the EDC limit of 180A according to HWiNFO64. It’s just for a few spikes, usually values are in the 90-130 A range during a game, but there are moments when it hits 180A (which is the set limit).
    Is that normal ?
    I didn’t check my 3900X before, so I cant make a direct comparison. I know that many overclockers are using EDC limits of 230A or even more, so it should be ok, but thank you for confirmation.

14. mcdull2k

mcdull2k New Member

If I were able to complete with a profile, how can I translate into bios setting? My daily OS is linux and do not have ryzen master for profiling.
    So, just edit LLC, CPU vcore, and per CCX clock will do?

15. Max(IT)

Max(IT) Member

GPU:
    Zotac RTX3080 Holo
    Beta 3 released without any note ?

EDIT: notes are there

CTR 1.0 Beta 3
    • The problem with abnormal results in the "DIAGNOSTIC" mode has been completely solved.
    • New hints in the log.
    • The tolerances for Vdroop have been revised, LLC status alerts will only be issued if there is only a serious problem with the processor power supply. In most cases LLC Auto will now be enough.
    • Ryzen 5 3500, Ryzen 5 3500X and Ryzen 9 3900 now fully supported.
    • Additional protection against non-indigenous input of values.
    • CTR no blocks the interface, if the operating system contains incorrect CPPC tags or the tags cannot be read.
    • Additional calibrations in error detection algorithms.
    • The default temperature threshold has been increased (80->85). CTR will stop all processes if the temperature of 85 degrees is reached.
    • No results in "BENCHMARK" tab. Fixed.

16. Marek

Marek New Member

GPU:
    RTX 2070 Super
    Hi all. This is my first post here.
    I never played with overclocking before - maybe in Barton 2600 ancient era a bit, but not very serious. Cause since few weeks I'am owner of Ryzen 9 3950X I decided to try CTR (manual seems to be a bit to advanced for my ability). I read many articles, discussions etc about undervolting Ryzen 3000 series - and found confused a bit... many words for undervolting but also many against. In Stock I had not bad results - in CB 20 - 9100 (average - usualy between 9060 - 9160, depend on some circumstances), max temp during heavy rendering works (I'am 3d grafician) not exceed 75 deg (on air cooling; usually 64-68 deg). Big progress over my previous FX 3850 so I didn't plan to play with oveclocking at all, especially after reading this: https://www.reddit.com/r/Amd/comments/cbls9g/the_final_word_on_idle_voltages_for_3rd_gen_ryzen/

But when saw CTR and read a bit about said: why not to try?

And tried. I have mobo Asus TUF Gaming B550 Plus. According to CTR guide I set LLC to 3. Diagnostic said, that my CPU is silver sample. Few times had info: increase LLC. Temperature NEVER went above 55 deg! All finished suddenly just after second CB20 run i get info, that reached TDC limit (set automaticaly to 115 A). But what was disappointed - results in CB was really poor... 8952 default and 8953 tuned... Much lower then without touching anything in BIOS and CTR... I was disappointed and give up...

But still was thinking about LLC issues, reported during diagnostic... Decided to try again and set LLC to 4. This time all went smoothly (and NO TDC limit reaching), but CB results were the same. Then I started to think that maybe CTR itself is reason for lowering CB20 results, "eating" some recources. So I save profile and exit CTR. Started Cinebench normally and... BOOOM... 9860 points. About 8% more then in stock (9100). With voltage lowered to 1,206, increased frequency and no changing in temperetures.

So Happy me..

But...

Next day for to be sure started CB20 and.. again 9100... Profile was not loaded during OS start (I had Autoload profile with OS active during saving and applaying profile). I run CTR manually and turn it off. Then all went back. 9850 points mean, profile works...

So question is: If CTR HAVE TO start with OS to load profile, or profile is independent from CTR and should be loaded itself independently?

All was done with Beta 2 CTR.

17. Garwinski

Garwinski Member Guru

GPU:
    XFX Fury X
    Only if the all-round OC with this tool is lower than what your cpu could boost to on a single core with PBO right? Because My 3600 boosted to 4.2-4.3 GHz at max in very rare instances, but mostly not going higher than 4.2ghz, while I now have 4450mhz and 4425mhz for ccx 1 and ccx2 respectively with 1.262V. My cpu now has mostly lower voltages and temps than before in most normal workloads. I did not really check my single core performance change though, as I did not have any games installed that are consistently cpu bound (quite hard to come by these days).

Cinebench went from 3500 to 4000. Looks like a decent improvement for multi-core performance at least, but probably not something I will notice much, as I dont use many applications that are heavily multithreaded or utilize the cpu that much (I mostly use my pc for games).

18. Ristin

Ristin New Member

GPU:
    GeForce GTX 980Ti
    It sounds like you have a similar setup to myself.

3900X - Gold Sample
    GB X570 Aorus Elite w/ F30a BIOS
    32GB Corsair CMW32GX4M2Z3600C18

I dropped my LLC to high over the recommended 'turbo' and stopped getting the LLC messages during diagnostics. My issue I get however is when I try to perform the OC in CTR it generally goes through around 5-7 steps and then just causes my PC to reset. No logs captured and I have to start again from scratch, and all windows gives is a WHEA error 17 in AMDAuthentic.sys. So Im assuming the CTR is pushing something too far and the CPU is causing a hard reset, but its impossible to gauge where its falling down without watching the log like a hawk until the system falls over.

19. HybOj

HybOj Master Guru

GPU:
    ASUS GTX 970 DCmini
    Considering this prog in its initial release detected my R5 3600 as a platinum sample with over 6000mhz potential, I decided to give it a few more moments to mature :D

Nice to see the 3rd version already released, thanks for a fast bug fixing and progress, may the development process be blessed :)

20. Chopsting

Chopsting New Member

GPU:
    GTX 980
    Still causing PC crash when running 'Start' after 20minutes (after full successful Diagnostic run)