Guru3D Content ClockTuner 2.0 for Ryzen (CTR) Guide and download

Discussion in 'Processors and motherboards AMD' started by Hilbert Hagedoorn, Feb 3, 2021.

1. waltc3

waltc3 Maha Guru

GPU:
    AMD 50th Ann 5700XT
    Until you accumulate a fair amount of general Zen3 knowledge I'd recommend staying away from CTR. It's not a tutorial program for overclocking, and what CTR attempts to do is provide you with a manual, multi-core overclock over the base ~3.8GHz clockspeed of the CPU while at the same time allowing you to do so on less voltage than the CPU consistently modulates while under load. It works OK at doing that...but I'd wade into things before trying to use this. Most people are very happy with their CPU's stock performance for gaming or other load conditions, as you have said. This program is basically for those who like to tinker--one thing about the manual overclocking mode you need to be aware of--when you manually overclock--even by 1MHz--you automatically lose your single-threaded boost capability--that can help performance in some games that don't do multithreading very well or very much or both (which really is the case for the majority of games on the market today.)

Max safe operating temp for your CPU is 90/95C, according to AMD. The CPU is designed to run 24/7/365 at those temps or lower without a problem. Running under load at 80C or 85C or even 90C is absolutely nothing to worry about--but people want to worry about many things, it seems, anyway...;) (My Zen 2 3900X, air-cooled with the stock AMD-supplied cooler has never seen 90C, much less 95C, and typically runs under load at temps no higher than 65C-80C, depending on the software being run.)

Your 5900X automatically clocks its cores, on a core-by-core basis, according to the loads you ask it to bear. IE, when running light tasks your single-threaded boost comes into play and the CPU runs differently under light loads--runs cooler and with less voltage. It already does that--automatically. CTR not required. Your Zen 3 CPU is even more advanced at auto-overclocking than my Zen 2 3900X is--and my Zen 2 does a great job. It's only because of the way that Zen2/Zen3 CPUs are designed--to auto-overclock and auto-regulate voltage per-core in response to demand (anything over base clock being an overclock) that a program like CTR can be written in the first place. Old style monolithic designs can't do these things and a CTR program wouldn't work on the current Intel CPU architectures, for instance, for that reason, AFAIK.

Basically, CTR allows you to take the current capabilities and operating characteristics of your 5900X and organize them and refine them in certain ways so as to provide you with the result you prefer, or think you might prefer, etc. One size does not fit all, etc.

Last edited: Feb 6, 2021
  2. waltc3

waltc3 Maha Guru

GPU:
    AMD 50th Ann 5700XT
    Discovered something else today about CTR 2.0--the latest Ryzen Master will not initialize when it's running....I have to open the Tuner from the systray, set the sys-tray control to off, exit the program, and then reboot before Ryzen Master will initialize.

RM gives a warning that it needs to be reinstalled--but it doesn't. In fact, even if you did reinstall RM it would still fail to reinitialize until the above steps are followed. If this is written somewhere in the instruction for CTR operation then I apologize for not seeing it. I thought it was interesting, however!

3. XenthorX

XenthorX Ancient Guru

GPU:
    3090 Gaming X Trio
    Installed a new non-beta BIOS from ASUS just before lunch (MB: X570-Gaming) and gonna spend the early afernoon toying around with CTR 2.0 !

5900X: after voltage vdroop notifications i put llc to level 1 (lowest for Asus)
    So far it displayed:
    CORE #1 28 CPPC
    CORE #2 30 CPPC
    CORE #3 30 CPPC
    CORE #4 31 CPPC
    CORE #5 31 CPPC
    CORE #6 23 CPPC
    CORE #7 5 CPPC
    CORE #8 3 CPPC
    CORE #9 0 CPPC
    CORE #10 4 CPPC
    CORE #11 0 CPPC
    CORE #12 1 CPPC

Quite surprising to see a 31 in there, especially if it's referring to Curve Optimizer offset, didn't know default settings would go beyond 30.

4. Thelgow

Thelgow Member

GPU:
    GTX 1070
    I have a some questions regarding some 1.1 results vs 2.0 and P1/P2.
    I have a ryzen 5 3600. In 1.1 it gave me results of 4475, 4425, 1256mV and that was working fine from what I could tell for months.
    2.0 initially kept telling me it wasn't golden anymore but bronze. My rooms ambient temp for whatever damn reason is 10ºF higher than whatever my house thermostat is set to. CTR default is Max temp 85 which I guess I hit later on in the day. In the morning tests are only hitting 73C, but at night its 87, but regardless. I got it to say Golden again and got some result #'s to plug in.
    Now its suggesting,
    Recomended values for overclocking (P1 profile):
    Reference voltage: 1250 mV
    Reference frequency: 4375 MHz
    Recomended values for overclocking (P2 profile):
    Reference voltage: 1350 mV
    Reference frequency: 4500 MHz

My confusion is here it doesnt seem to be telling which CCX as CCX2 was usually 25-50MHz less in 1.1 testing. Also I had 4475 working fine at 1256mV. So from what I can read P2 would be the higher settings so it would run during 25-75% load. In this case its only 25MHz higher than my previous oc, but 100 more mV. Also my CCX2 would crash on 1.1 when I tried that high. Then P1 I guess is slightly less to give it a break, so is that ok to be 100MHz less than my original OC, at 4375?
    In the meantime I just plugged in my old values 4475/4425 1256mV into P1, applied it, OC Hybrid off and it seems fine.
    And then where would the undervolting come into play? Thats just a general setting we would apply when not wanting to OC?

5. Bunny

Bunny New Member

GPU:
    RX 5700 XT Nitro+
    I cannot even get pass the Diagnostic part. The moment the test hits 1039mV and gets to the 2nd test, boom! black screen and reboot.
    I'm using a B450-F Gaming 2 mobo with the latest bios update and everything set to default/optimized defaults. I actually cleared the Cmos to be sure everything was set to stock. Then I set the few tweaks that were recommended before working with CTR.
    Weirdly enough, last night it managed to work and I even started the applying process and got to a point where CTR closed on its own, which I assumed meant it was minimized and Primetime was working hard in the background and it kept running for about half an hour without showing any signs of stopping. However, CTR didn't show up in the system tray or in the Task Manager either. So I FCed Primetime and shutdown the system cause it was to late. This morning I tried again after clearing the logs and same story as before, it doesn't even pass the Diagnostic part.
    I've got a Golden sample CPU which I can manually UV to 1.26 while OCed to 4.425MHz all cores. I can hit 4.5 all cores at 1.35mV.
    Nvm: After the system crashes and reboots, CTR starts again on it's own after all the OS services finish up loading. I learned that while ignoring the PC reboot because I was on my phone watching YouTube videos.
    Anyway, I'll go on and let it work on the Tuning part.

Last edited: Feb 7, 2021
  6. XenthorX

XenthorX Ancient Guru

GPU:
    3090 Gaming X Trio
    Some feedback from my tuning afternoon of the 5900X.
    Diagnostic told me the 5900X was in silver category with energy efficiency of 3.94, and suggested:

Profile 1 :
    Reference voltage 1175mv
    Reference frequency 4425MHz

Profile 2:
    Reference voltage 1275mv
    Reference frequency 4550MHz

It's been 1h30minutes since i launched the tuning for profile 1, no crashes so far but some overclock fail notifications.

Current test - Step 12:
    CCX1 1169mv 4575MHz
    CCX2 1169mv 4475MHz

Edit: 1h35min total. started 3:49pm ended 5:25pm

7. D4mocl3s

D4mocl3s New Member

GPU:
    RTX 3070
    Thank you for your answer, it is very informative.

I didn't go to CTR2.0 with my eyes closed either.Overall, you have clearly understood my vision of things.

Yes I am not looking for OC, I am looking to lower the temperature of my CPU because I have invested money to have efficient cooling, so it bothers me to see these temperature levels especially since we hear everything and its opposite on the Internet.
    I hear what you are telling me about temperatures but I also hear people saying that they don't have such temperatures with a 5900x and with less efficient cooling, so I wonder.

Doing simple tasks on the desktop makes the CPU oscillate between 60 and 75 ° C. If it is normal, I will turn on the fans from 75 ° C, it will eat this processor well ! :mad:

8. XenthorX

XenthorX Ancient Guru

GPU:
    3090 Gaming X Trio
    This was well worth my time, i felt using Curve Optimizer alone gave me inconsistent results while now i have a couple nice profiles for heavy workload and gaming.

Looking forward for profile 0 addition for improved single thread performance.

setup.png

Embra and Turanis like this.
  9. zorandesign

zorandesign Member

GPU:
    MSI NX7600GT
    Still a long way to go. Requires more testing and polishing.

Problems:
    1. It is not reliable - P1 and P2 do not work as intended. P1 never activates if P2 is present, even though there are rules, for some reason even after restart the software still applies P2 in every scenario.
    I am aware this should be the case if you run the software and click "Apply" on the specific profile, but after rebooting the computer that should be normalized and the software should utilize all 3 profiles - P0, P1 and P2.

2. P0 not working at all if there is P2 present(saved), but only when P1 in abscense of P2 is present.

3. It completely ignores the negative offset in the BIOS and bypasses it, which should not be the case. I tried compensating the voltage for P1 for the negative offset so that after applying the offset the resulting voltage is as determined by the software - not working.

Suggestions:
    1. There should also be more profiles not just 2, I'd say profile for each scenario, 2,3,4...cores used.
    2. It can also have predetermined application specific profiles and detect and apply specific profile depending on the running application instead of having universal CPU load profiling, like it is done in the graphics drivers
    3. Add support for BIOS voltage offset. It can be done manually.

To the creator of the software - keep up the great work! You are a genius! This software should be bought by AMD or you should be employed there as it seems they either lack your knowledge or your ideas. It is a real shame that 3rd party comes up with ideas like this. Or the third scenario is that they already finance you, which sounds great to mee, but I doubt it, considering how much work there is left to be done - it must be a side project for you.

10. trieste915

trieste915 Member

GPU:
    Galax 2060 Super
    Are there any files leftover from CTR1.1 that I should be aware of, to delete them, when switching to CTR2.0? Currently not able to get Hybrid OC to work properly, keeps resetting back to default PBO when I apply either profile while the "Hybrid OC" option is enabled.

P1 recommended values and underclocked values were stressed tested without incident. P2 recommended values crashed the app and didn't save the results, so, going to try it again.

11. chaosophy

chaosophy Member

GPU:
    AMD RX Vega 64
    Problems:
    1/2 : Are you sure you have 'Hybrid OC' option enabled?
    3: This is probably expected behaviour. Guide says to run with auto cpu voltage and no offset.

Suggestions:
    1. I think due to the dynamic nature of how Ryzen works and how windows schedules tasks across threads, having too many profiles - i.e. one profile for every number of cores in use - CTR couldn't safely keep up and keep switching core clocks/voltage without introducing stability issues or performance deficits. The guide covers this when it discusses the 'holding time' setting for profile switching.

Max(IT) likes this.
  12. chaosophy

chaosophy Member

GPU:
    AMD RX Vega 64
    <25% CCX usage CPU will run at defaults/bios settings for max single thread boost/perf.
    25% -> 80% CCX usage P2 kicks in.
    80% + CCX usage P1 kicks in.

trieste915 likes this.
  13. GlowingPotato

GlowingPotato New Member

GPU:
    RTX 3090
    My CTR can open CB20 when starts the tuning process and in the end too. but can't read the results.
    Always drop a message saying "can't read CB20 log".

Any idea why ?

14. trieste915

trieste915 Member

GPU:
    Galax 2060 Super
    ohh so that's how it works... still, I like the underclocked thermals... prob will set P1 to kick in earlier or smth.

Got these numbers for a Silver sample, not too shabby but already hitting a wall just above 4200 MHz.

DIAGNOSTIC RESULTS
    AMD Ryzen 5 3600 6-Core Processor
    Max temperature: 71.2°
    Energy efficient: 3.54
    Your CPU is SILVER SAMPLE
    Recomended values for overclocking (P1 profile):
    Reference voltage: 1250 mV
    Reference frequency: 4150 MHz
    Recomended values for overclocking (P2 profile):
    Reference voltage: 1350 mV
    Reference frequency: 4275 MHz
    Recomended values for undervolting:
    Reference voltage: 1175 mV
    Reference frequency: 4000 MHz

12:13:08 am: CCX1 (127): 4025 MHz, 1175 mV OC=
    12:13:08 am: CCX2 (116): 4050 MHz, 1175 mV OC=
    Cinebench R20 started
    Cinebench R20 finished with result: 3630
    Voltage: 1.175 V PPT: 70.2 W Temperature: 68.6°

12:09:43 pm: CCX1 (127): 4125 MHz, 1250 mV OC=
    12:09:43 pm: CCX2 (116): 4150 MHz, 1250 mV OC=
    Cinebench R20 started
    Cinebench R20 finished with result: 3731
    Voltage: 1.25 V PPT: 79.8 W Temperature: 74.8°

10:42:54 pm: CCX1 (127): 4250 MHz, 1350 mV OC=
    10:42:54 pm: CCX2 (116): 4250 MHz, 1350 mV OC=
    Cinebench R20 started
    Cinebench stopped! 8/2/2021 10:43:44 pm
    Temperature limit reached! 85.4° OC terminated!
    Cinebench R20 finished with result: 0
    Voltage: 1.35 V PPT: 94 W Temperature: 82.6°

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Must CTR stay open/minimised for Hybrid OC's profile switching to be active? Or can I close it once I've enabled the function and determined that it is working as expected?

Last edited: Feb 8, 2021
  15. Max(IT)

Max(IT) Active Member

GPU:
    Zotac RTX3080 Holo

Most probably you don't have Hybrid OC enabled...

By the way, 1usmus great job !
    This time is really working as intended. My 5800X is faster and 10° cooler than stock. It is amazing.

trieste915 likes this.

16. XenthorX

XenthorX Ancient Guru

GPU:
    3090 Gaming X Trio
    Got to say i was sceptical about doing cpu oc outside bios but this tool works extremely well so far.

Alternating programming, gaming, web browsing,... automatic profile switching worked perfectly.

trieste915 likes this.
  17. Frezeh

Frezeh New Member

GPU:
    1080 Ti
    I seem to have stumbled upon a bug with the boost behavior with hybrid OC.
    Switching between P1 and P2 profiles works just fine, but my 3900X seems to be "stuck" at P2 instead of letting the stock Precision Boost kick in for low core workloads, regardless of CCX usage or holding time settings. All relevant settings the bios (Crosshair 6 Hero) are as recommended.
    Any recommendations on how to fix the issue? I haven't tried using just P1 profile, since I'd rather have a good gaming profile (P2) and a lower clocked profile for full workloads (P1).

18. XenthorX

XenthorX Ancient Guru

GPU:
    3090 Gaming X Trio
    have you tried increasing P2 minimum threshold @Frezeh ?

19. Sonixmon

Sonixmon New Member

GPU:
    ASUS ROG 2070 Super
    Great utility, very helpful. I have seen improved temps down 5+ degrees with a slight performance boost (CB20). How can I confirm which profile is active when using Auto switching?

20. trieste915

trieste915 Member

GPU:
    Galax 2060 Super
    I check min and max frequencies in HWinfo

Sonixmon likes this.