Guru3D Content ClockTuner 2.0 for Ryzen (CTR) Guide and download

Discussion in 'Processors and motherboards AMD' started by Hilbert Hagedoorn, Feb 3, 2021.

1. Scara

Scara New Member

GPU:
    I'd be lucky
    Hi Guys,

Looking for some input. I have a 5900x ,MSi x570 tomahawk.
    so I ran CTR 2.0 all settings as in the guide and i get a silver sample during diagnostics. profile 1 4450mhz 1175mv. profile2 4575 1275 . During the run is shows Vdropp at 4.5% , "recommend to increase the voltage compensation". LLC on auto. ppt 137.1 temp 54.2

I then changed LLC to 3 as per Igors lab instruction for MSI boards and got a Golden sample profile 1 4525 1175mv profile 4550mhz 1175mv, no vdroop mentioned in the diagnostics run. so I went on to tune. During tune i was getting Vdroop of 0.5% and message "recommend to reduce the voltage compensation" this gave me a Profile 1 .CCX1 (158): 4525 MHz, 1175 mV , CCX2 (133): 4550 MHz, 1175 mV and a cinebench score from 7986b to 8927, Voltage: 1.175 V PPT: 156.8 W Temperature: 59.1°for profile 1.

I didn't run profile 2 as I worried by the Vdoop at 0.5%.

Did a Run at LLC 4, diagnostics gave me ,your CPU is GOLDEN SAMPLE (P1 profile):1175 mV 4575 MHz (P2 profile): 1275 mV 4700 MHz no Vdropp messages. So went on and tuned profile 1. This gave me Penalties for the final profile: level 1, CCX1 (158): 4525 MHz, 1175 mV, CCX2 (133): 4550 MHz, 1175 mV cinebench score went from 8014 to 8940, Vdoop was show at 1%. no messages. Voltage: 1.175 V PPT: 154.7 W Temperature: 58°.
    Tuned profile 2 and got Penalties for the final profile: level 1, CCX1 (158): 4700 MHz, 1275 mV ,CCX2 (133): 4700 MHz, 1275 mV , Cinebench went from 8014 stock to 9237. Voltage: 1.275 V PPT: 190.6 W Temperature: 67.4°

Tried LLC 5 and Vdroop went 4.4% and back to getting the messsage " recommend to increase the voltage compensation"

So I worried that a Vroop of 0.5% or 1% is not a good value to run my system on. Am I better to just leave LLC on Auto and live with the results I get ? Am I barking up the wrong tree with LLC values? Any opinions appreciated (except on the orientation of my AIO)

2. 1usmus

1usmus AMD Memory Guru

GPU:
    Nvidia GTX 1080Ti
    Anticheat blocked CTR. This is written in the manual.

3. 1usmus

1usmus AMD Memory Guru

GPU:
    Nvidia GTX 1080Ti
    You can continue to use LLC3, all fine.

4. Scara

Scara New Member

GPU:
    I'd be lucky
    Thanks for the quick response.

5. DaftTitan

DaftTitan New Member

GPU:
    RX 5600 XT
    I have only Facit AC which was turned off.
    I had to uninstall it for CTR to work.
    Thank you!

6. Anvi

Anvi Member Guru

GPU:
    R9 390 8GB
    @1usmus

• Performance Enhancer - Disabled only.
    Do you know what is this option in the guide? Is the name wrong?
    Many people have asked about it and I think there's no such option in UEFI AMD Overclocking settings.

Eyemaster likes this.
  7. chaosophy

chaosophy Member

GPU:
    AMD RX Vega 64
    I'm wondering if my reboots during tuning are down to it clocking my lower CPPC tag cores to a higher frequency than my cores with higher CPPC tags?

Is it meant to use the CPPC tags and the CCX delta to go from worst to best core?
    Or does it ignore those when it does it's own FIT check?

I've tested my cores by setting CPU affinity on a single thread work load, to see how they boost, and they follow logically with the CPPC tag scores.

Can someone who has done a successful run - full diag, tune with out any reboots - post their log file if possible?
    Particularly if you have a 3900X on a Gigabyte Aorus Pro board.

Just want to get an idea of why it seems to work fine for some and yet I've never got it to complete a run in any version. :(

8. Hootmon

Hootmon Maha Guru

GPU:
    XFX THICC III Ultra
    I am still getting the following error message despite the fact that the later betas of CTR 1.0 seemed to see the tags just fine.
    Latest Chipset driver (dropped yesterday) has been installed.
    'CPPC' and 'Preferred Cores' are both enabled, but I have no idea what 'PSS' means on a Gigabyte mobo. Any ideas?

Operating system does not see CPPC core tags!
    CPPC, PSS and Preferred cores should be ENABLED in BIOS.
    Also try reinstalling the chipset driver.

***ClockTuner for Ryzen 2.0 RC3 by 1usmus***
    AMD Ryzen 5 3600X 6-Core Processor
    GIGABYTE X570 AORUS ELITE
    BIOS ver. F30 SMU ver. 46.64.00
    TABLE ver. 2361603
    DRAM speed 3600 MHz
    02/05/2021 15:48:44

9. Hootmon

Hootmon Maha Guru

GPU:
    XFX THICC III Ultra
    I assumed that meant 'Core Performance Boost' on my mobo.

10. chaosophy

chaosophy Member

GPU:
    AMD RX Vega 64
    Someone mentioned that they think 'PSS' is 'Cool & Quiet' feature.
    They said this option had been renamed to 'PSS' on their mobo with a recent BIOS update.

You could try clearing the system event log, this used to be a fix on the older versions of CTR, though I think it's not needed on the new version.

I don't think 'Performance Enhancer' is that option, 'Core Performance Boost' disables all boosting on the CPU, so it sticks at like 3800Mhz or what ever the CPU's default speed is.

I have a GB Aorus board as well, so am also interested to see what that option is and if we have it on our boards.

DaftTitan and Hootmon like this.

11. Anvi

Anvi Member Guru

GPU:
    R9 390 8GB
    Core Performance Boost setting and name is same on all manufacturers since it comes from the AMD and it's not manufacturer specific setting.
    Performance enhancer could be that or something else, but I hope we can get clarification.

12. waltc3

waltc3 Maha Guru

GPU:
    AMD 50th Ann 5700XT
    CTR 2.0 works fine for me if I put in my own numbers (advanced) right before running the tuner. 3900X, x570 Aorus Master. IE, the diagnostics complete, but then when I go to the tuner it always tries to start me out @ voltage that immediately crashes. System then reboots, CTR runs in the systray--I guess I have to turn off "systray" to get it to pop open the tuner screen on the desktop with Phoenix on the reboot. Double-click the systray icon and the program opens--but at that point it's not clear what is supposed to happen...;) Nothing does...is it waiting on me to run the tuner again? I check the profiles--nothing is there--so unless I manually change a setting--such as reference voltage--the program simply runs the tuner, crashes, comes back up exactly the same--crashes again, rinse & repeat.

What's happening is that it should be adjusting the reference voltage upwards because of the crash that Phoenix is supposed to intelligently mediate...but like I say, nothing is happening. Maybe it's just the suggested settings that Phoenix is preserving through the crash in the program's diagnostic window which I am supposed to see and then manually change...? Not sure. But that works.

Although the reference voltage of 1250 is where the diagnostics want to start the tuner--it just crashes immediately. So I started with 1350 and the tuner runs OK at that point. It would run at less voltage--just not 1250--but 1300-1325 was OK, too--just wouldn't clock the cores as high--so 1350 seems about where I want to be.

Also, not sure about these deltas--250 doesn't seem large enough, maybe. At one point, even at 1350mV, the software wanted to start at a reference clock of 4050...after the tuner run, I wound up with the fastest cores in CCX 1 & 2 at 4250 and 4050 in CCX 3 & 4. However, another time with reference voltage @ 1350mV, it selected a reference clock of 4200 and after the Tune I wound up with 4350 for 1 & 2 cores, and ~41xx for the slowest cores in 3 & 4--after penalties. Much happier with the latter result--which runs stable so far! I'm happy with that!

Another question...I usually run the motherboard at an LLC of "low" which is the next to lowest LLC voltage strength. I got a message saying "You can damage your CPU because your LLC voltage is too high!"--or something close. I suspect that message is erroneous, but thought I'd ask. On CTR 1.x, I ran the LLC at "medium" which almost completely eliminated vdroop in the diagnostics--so that may be affecting things, too. As I set it back to auto/normal for LLC in the above tuner runs.

Last edited: Feb 6, 2021
  13. NightWind

NightWind Master Guru

GPU:
    Asus ROG 2060 Super
    Another question for the "Performance Enhancer" setting.

The available settings are as follows:

Auto
    Level1
    Level2
    Level3 O.C.

Which one to choose, since "Disable" is not available?
    Please support.

Thank you in advance.

14. b0b3rman

b0b3rman New Member

GPU:
    RTX 3080
    Same question for me, its the only one I can't seem to find. MSI bios X570

15. kakuke

kakuke New Member

GPU:
    1070 8GB

Clean install of windows.
    20H2 update.

BIOS VERSION 1801 (beta release)

System:
    Asus Prime A520M-K
    AMD Ryzen 4350G
    16GB HyperX 2666mhz RAM
    ASUS Dual 1070 8GB
    500W Seasonic Focus Modular

Unpacked and set up CTR 2.0 as described.

Event viewer:

Application: CTR 2.0.exe
    Framework Version: v4.0.30319
    Description: The process was terminated due to an unhandled exception.
    Exception Info: System.DivideByZeroException
    at A.c7ef8ec682dd21d60b7ea8e49e2ff83f2.c4c7f67ad0d605e7d3812697bb398e4cb()
    at A.c7ef8ec682dd21d60b7ea8e49e2ff83f2..ctor()
    at A.cdc48270e29f3b49f39ae6096cd92548b.c5a68d95bffa01de63fe748d0618d09c5()

16. guilamu

guilamu Member

GPU:
    rx 580
    Hello, I've checked "autoload profile with os" but it never works. Each time I reboot, CTR is not starting and I have to run it manually. After each reboot the "autoload profile with os" is unchecked. Any idea?

17. guilamu

guilamu Member

GPU:
    rx 580
    I did. In fact I guess I missed it on the guide (is this written somewhere?!) but this is the normal process : you should run the diag, wait for the computer to crash, reboot, DO NOT TOUCH ANYTHING, wait up to 2 minutes for CTR to restart automatically, then you'll have a full diagnostic with P1/P2/undervolt values. Then apply each settings and click "Tune" to get even more precise settings for each profile.

I was delighted to discover I have a golden sample and I can run the CPU with the undervolt settings 1125 mv@80watts and get the same performance than stock (losing only 3% of perf). My air cooled system is only 52° when gaming and 62° when stress testing the CPU. Idle @ 32°.

Now I need to figure out why CTR won't auto-start with windows...

Last edited: Feb 6, 2021
  18. DaftTitan

DaftTitan New Member

GPU:
    RX 5600 XT
    Same here on Aorus Ultra, I am not sure if 'Core Performance Boost' should be on or off.

19. Dmitr1y

Dmitr1y New Member

GPU:
    RTX 2070 Super
    Hello guys
    Ii this good result for my cpu? And which of this profiles is better to use? Will there be a big difference in performance between 4500 and 4375 mhz?

Attached Files:

20. D4mocl3s

D4mocl3s New Member

GPU:
    RTX 3070
    Hello everyone, I tried CTR 2.0 yesterday on my Ryzen 5900x (I have very little OC knowledge).
    For now, having followed the guides from overclocking.com, guru3d and igorslab, I managed to create two profiles P1 and P2 and activate them with the “CTR HYBRID OC” function. I don't have the impression of having lost any FPS in the game (Warzone) and I'm at 65 ° c on average with peaks max at 70 ° c, where I was at 75 ° c on average and 81 ° c in peak. That's great, but several questions come to mind because I like to understand what I'm doing on my PC:

- What is the difference between profile P1, P2 and undervolting? In terms of performance, P1> P2> undervolting?

- If P1> P2, why on P1 I have a lower voltage and frequencies on CCx1 and CCx2 than compared to P2?

- If P2 > P1, why does P1 activate from 75% when P2 activates between 25 and 75%? In my logic, this is the most powerful profile that should activate as soon as you get closer to maximum CPU usage, right?

- With the undervolting profile, can we really say that it is as powerful as normal processor operation with PBO?

- Personally, I am satisfied with the power of my processor, it is not limiting in game. What really bothers me these are its high temperatures in play while my cooling without being at the level of a custom water cooling loop is largely dimensioned. By trying CTR 2.0 I was hoping to have the best of both worlds (performance + lower temperatures), it seems to be the case. But I would like to go further. Would it be possible to have an undervolting profile for small tasks and switch to an aggressive P2 profile at 25% CPU usage?